PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Derby traded to Broncos for 2017 5th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harbor was waived and is on DET now.
guess i misread the ESPN Boston article...thought they said Harbor was our #3. My bad...still not worried. Maybe Reese is the other shoe to drop

guess i misread the ESPN Boston article...thought they said Harbor was our #3. My bad...still not worried
All good. They've only had 236 TEs this year.....tough to keep track.

Yea its a tough call. I think they need a TE3 and I like the idea of Reece because of the # of positions he can play/backup. Who knows..

Too bad, I liked Derby. Maybe he wasn't showing enough in practice. On the flip side, we could be gearing up for Reece, that would be cool. If not, maybe an increased role for Develin?

Too bad, I liked Derby. Maybe he wasn't showing enough in practice. On the flip side, we could be gearing up for Reece, that would be cool. If not, maybe an increased role for Develin?

I think that is a good point. Develin is a good player. No one will compare him to Tom Rathman as he does not have the talent like others do in the passing game but I think he could be utilized more run blocking on the edge and being that check-down pass option on the play action

Two little negotiating points:
  • Denver has to pay more to trade for possibly-soon-waived players than if they had a higher waiver priority. (The same is true of the Pats.)
  • A 2017 5th is the "natural" price for a 2016 6th round pick.

I still like him but Derby has done nothing here.

I'm trusting BB on this one.
He hasn't done anything because he hasn't played. He hasn't played because he's behind the greatest TE combo in NFL history.

He hasn't done anything because he hasn't played. He hasn't played because he's behind the greatest TE combo in NFL history.

Yep.

Which is why a 5th rounder was had.

Kind of surprised they would trade a guy who knows the playbook to Denver at this point in the season.

Nope. He was behind Harbor as well, and Harbor was cut.
BB wants his TEs to block. Derby had enough chances in preseason and before Gronk fully returned to prove that. They also tried him on STs lately. It didn't work.

as said earlier about restocking draft resources, and this being the deepest tight end draft in many years, this makes a lot more sense.

Maybe my son isn't the only one who will be getting Reece's next week!

Derby was a draft binky so I totally hate to see Derby go. Especially to the Broncos. But a 5th for a guy who almost never saw the field for 2 years is a very good deal.

It's AJ f&cking Derby. Relax.

I like that we got a 5th rounder for him, thats pretty good value.. but I think he became a binky for a lot of us in preseason so its still a little sad to see a promising developmental TE leave.. It doesn't help it sit well in the stomach being a top AFC contender that eliminated us from the playoffs last year lol

Hopefully this means they extend Bennett

I really don't get some people's reaction to this

I couldn't believe what I was reading when I read Ian's piece on this. You'd think this was Belichick trading Deion Branch again but only to an AFC rival.

Kind of surprised they would trade a guy who knows the playbook to Denver at this point in the season.

What's the difference if a team picks up an offensive player that we waived?

How many weeks until we play Denver again?

The difference is that if he were cut a lot of other teams would have a shot at him before Denver would.

The time between now and December 18th helps, I agree, but why give Denver anything that could make a difference for a low fifth?

I'm just surprised Bill would make this move after how close the games were last year.

This was an elite trade by BB

weird headline on the sites main page

Similar to the Van Noy trade, I can live with this trade, even if Derby is sent to the despicable, detestable Donkeys.

However, throwing away Clay Harbor just so his spot on the 53 could be taken by useless trash makes
even less sense now than it did when it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes