PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Airing it out this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironwasp

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I'm just putting together my fantasy team for the NFL UK (where you get to pick a new team within a salary cap every week) and I wondered whether anyone on here thinks that BB and McDaniels might use the Dolphins secondary as a sort of test bed for stretching the field with Cassel/Moss.

It seems to me that sooner or later we'll need to be doing that in a game because we're behind or whatever, so this week seems like a good opportunity to have a bit of a go at that, given how week the Fins are.

Any thoughts welcome.

I don't expect them to air it out unless you mean relative to last week. Yes, I expect a lot more downfield passing at least for a while to see if it's successful. Even Brady has struggled against Mangini's defense (excluding the opener last year) and the Meadowlands is a tough place to throw so I'm not surprised what happened last week. This week, though, I expect more downfield passing but for it to be reigned in if Cassel is really struggling. I'd like to think he will go downfield more through the rest of the season than he did last week against a strong secondary.

I'm really rooting for a confidence boost from some dead-on long balls.

If we can become a better scoring threat stacked on surprisingly strong D we've got a legitimate shot again.

I don't expect them to air it out unless you mean relative to last week. Yes, I expect a lot more downfield passing at least for a while to see if it's successful. Even Brady has struggled against Mangini's defense (excluding the opener last year) and the Meadowlands is a tough place to throw so I'm not surprised what happened last week. This week, though, I expect more downfield passing but for it to be reigned in if Cassel is really struggling. I'd like to think he will go downfield more through the rest of the season than he did last week against a strong secondary.

Good thoughts, makes a lot of sense, as ever. I need 300 yards and a couple of tds from QB and WR. May make sense to look elsewhere this week.

I'm just putting together my fantasy team for the NFL UK (where you get to pick a new team within a salary cap every week) and I wondered whether anyone on here thinks that BB and McDaniels might use the Dolphins secondary as a sort of test bed for stretching the field with Cassel/Moss.

It seems to me that sooner or later we'll need to be doing that in a game because we're behind or whatever, so this week seems like a good opportunity to have a bit of a go at that, given how week the Fins are.

Any thoughts welcome.
In another thread I looked at what BB had Brady do in 2001. Brady only aired it our one game that year, and for 1/3 of his games has 25 or fewer pass attempts for just over a hundred yards.

Cassel might be given more leeway because he is more NFL-ready than Brady was in 2001 and he has better receivers. On the other hand, Brady was clearly more talented than Cassel for his first starts.

Also, if you are going to air it out against any team this year, the Dolphins have the worst secondary (almost made Favre look good).

I think they'll continue to take what the defense gives them. I think it is more likely that the Dolphins defense will be more susceptible to longer passes, but you never can be sure what schemes they'll use.

The key is to move the chains. On Sunday, the Patriots got into the red zone on 5 of 8 offensive possessions. (Actually, if you count the last drive, the were essentially there too, ending the game on the 21 yard line, so it's more lke 6 of 9.) Can't do much better than that.

I think they'll continue to take what the defense gives them. I think it is more likely that the Dolphins defense will be more susceptible to longer passes, but you never can be sure what schemes they'll use.

The key is to move the chains. On Sunday, the Patriots got into the red zone on 5 of 8 offensive possessions. (Actually, if you count the last drive, the were essentially there too, ending the game on the 21 yard line, so it's more lke 6 of 9.) Can't do much better than that.

Ditto but the Pats will have to score more than one touchdown on six

possessions in the red zone to beat the better teams.

Any thoughts welcome.

I think that the Patriots have shown very clearly how they are handling the Brady-Cassel transition: sending a message as plainly as they can that Cassel is the quarterback, not an apprentice, not a substitute, not someone who is on trial and might or might not be pulled for a canny veteran.

It follows that it would be quite contrary to their approach to adapt the gameplan in the sense of "let's run a lot because that will take the pressure off Cassel" or "let's give it some air; after all, it's only the Dolphins" (as you seem to be suggesting). Once you make it clear that you're going to run in preference to pass, you've already made the defense's task 50% easier. And once you start to employ high-risk plays against a (supposedly) weaker opponent you are risking not taking every game seriously on its merits -- which has been at the centre of the Patriots philosophy since Belichick arrived.

So I expect more long passing than we saw against the Jets but for the reasons Spacecrime mentioned: the Dolphins are weak in the secondary and can be attacked there. It's what the Patriots would do if TFB were there ...

That seems like an extremely likely scenario

I think that the Patriots have shown very clearly how they are handling the Brady-Cassel transition: sending a message as plainly as they can that Cassel is the quarterback, not an apprentice, not a substitute, not someone who is on trial and might or might not be pulled for a canny veteran.

It follows that it would be quite contrary to their approach to adapt the gameplan in the sense of "let's run a lot because that will take the pressure off Cassel" or "let's give it some air; after all, it's only the Dolphins" (as you seem to be suggesting). Once you make it clear that you're going to run in preference to pass, you've already made the defense's task 50% easier. And once you start to employ high-risk plays against a (supposedly) weaker opponent you are risking not taking every game seriously on its merits -- which has been at the centre of the Patriots philosophy since Belichick arrived.

Well said. I agree. Matty is our QB and he doesn't suck and his coaches and mentor will be writing up gameplans that make the Pats look even better.

Overconfident teams may sometimes make the mistake of not game-planning. I think NE is confident BECAUSE it takes the games seriously.

I would expect them to throw a bit more this week, but I think ultimately the balance of run and pass will be dictated by what the Dolphins do. I would be surprised if Cassel doesn't find the endzone this week though.

Ditto but the Pats will have to score more than one touchdown on six

possessions in the red zone to beat the better teams.

Agree entirely, but it's sort of the Belichick way. Not counting last year, where everything was distorted, particularly early on, by the unbelievable offensive efficiency, Belichick seems to treat those three points, once in the red zone, as an entitlement. In closely contested games, I think he views points as equivalent to options -- when leading, adding three is good and increases the opportunities for your opponent to press and make a mistake. The play calling gets pretty conservative. Throw one where only the receiver can make a catch, and then try two runs, basically, and get your three points. Worked like a charm last week, but in a different game situation, I think you'd see different plays -- higher risk and higher reward.

I don't see BB using this game as a testing ground. That's what the preseason was for. He will do what he always does: work with your strengths and against the opponent's weaknesses.

That said, since the Dolphins secondary is a weakness, the situation may demand airing it out more. But it won't be because we 'need the practice' or anything. It will be what the situation demands (a lot like chess, sometimes you attack, sometimes you build up your position with a quiet move--the position demands a certain style of play, just as the situation in football demands a certain style).

Last edited:
They have seen film on the Phins for 2 weeks now(prepped for the JEST last week) and they have to be DROOLING over the deep balls. After towing the company line last week I would have to say Randy has gone to BB and said that he wants to be ALOT more in the game plan. Well, maybe not, lets say it was BBs idea....But if you look at the Phins DBs they are the worst in the league in a LONG TIME. Deion wont show plays against them anymore,lol. I got a feeling the Moss ratio will be in affect.

They have seen film on the Phins for 2 weeks now(prepped for the JEST last week) and they have to be DROOLING over the deep balls. After towing the company line last week I would have to say Randy has gone to BB and said that he wants to be ALOT more in the game plan. Well, maybe not, lets say it was BBs idea....But if you look at the Phins DBs they are the worst in the league in a LONG TIME. Deion wont show plays against them anymore,lol. I got a feeling the Moss ratio will be in affect.

Are you really a Patriots fan, because nothing in your post indicates you have any idea what this team is about.

Are you really a Patriots fan, because nothing in your post indicates you have any idea what this team is about.
Nothing in his posts shows he has any idea about what football is about.

So I expect more long passing than we saw against the Jets but for the reasons Spacecrime mentioned: the Dolphins are weak in the secondary and can be attacked there. It's what the Patriots would do if TFB were there ...
The health of Moss and Gaffney may have some impact on this scenerio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down