Welcome to PatsFans.com

Air Jordan shoes cause riots around nation

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

Reminds me of this song.

foster the people - pumped up kicks lyrics - YouTube

I was part of the air jordan days being the age I am, and growing up where I did, we heard these stories all the time. I remember my first pair of Nike Air Jordans. They were hand me downs from one of my older cousins. Luckily they were so worn and nasty no one was about to shoot me for them. :D

Air Jordan shoes cause riots around nation

7:07 PM, Dec. 23, 2011

Written by

The Associated Press

Scuffles broke out and police were brought in to quell unrest that nearly turned into riots across the nation Friday following the release of Nike's new Air Jordan basketball shoes — a retro model of one of the most popular Air Jordans ever made.

The mayhem stretched from Washington state to Georgia and was reminiscent of the violence that broke out 20 years ago in many cities as the shoes became popular targets for thieves. It also had a decidedly Black Friday feel as huge crowds of shoppers overwhelmed stores for a must-have item.

In suburban Seattle, police used pepper spray on about 20 customers who started fighting at the Westfield Southcenter mall. The crowd started gathering at four stores in the mall around midnight and had grown to more than 1,000 people by 4 a.m., when the stores opened, Tukwila Officer Mike Murphy said. He said it started as fighting and pushing among people in line and escalated over the next hour.

Air Jordan shoes cause riots around nation | The Desert Sun | MyDesert.com
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Pretty stupid...

Remember low cut "white" Chucks??? they are still around and what I grew up in.
  3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +641 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Michael Jordan needs to go on the news and plead a la Rodney King, "Folks -- can we all just get along?"
  4. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

These people give the Human Race a bad name. Just want to make clear some of us would never do stuff like this, if anyone is watching:p Not all of us act like animals, its really kind of depressing to tell you the truth....

If you have enough to spend $200-$500 on a pair of shoes, you need to be taxed more IMO, that will be my slogan if I ever run for office!:rocker:
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

Anyone who riots, attacks or kills over a pair of sneakers can only be defined as barbaric, scum-bags. What else could explain it?
  6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

I'm from the days of "PF-Flyers" myself.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

Where are these nuts getting all this money to be able to spend $300 for a pair of friggin stinking sneakers..............:confused:
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Chuck Taylor high-tops. Nothing better once they got broken in and a little gray from the washing machine.

And by the way...am I the only one who thinks the headline is a little over-dramatic. Riots across the nation? Not really...:cool:
  9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +298 / 3 / -13

Maybe a tad...but I'm focusing more upon the brain-dead people who "flock" to stores for a pair of sneakers? What has happened to our society that people are so stupid?

I mean, wouldn't we all agree that to fight or even fawn over a frikkn' pair of sneakers can only be described as plain ignorant? I'd love to witness such idiocy just for a good laugh and to see what real dopes look like.

I'm headin' out to the mall now...I'll get back to you wistah!;)
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011