Welcome to PatsFans.com

Air America to Declare Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

This is funny to me. I remember when they launched this station. I actually tried to listen to it a couple of times. It was utterly aweful. It was hate radio. All they did was complain and criticize while offering noting in the form of alternative thinking. I'm kinda surprised it lasted this long. I guess when you have million, and billionaire's financing it, the bottom line could be considered irrelevent for a little while. Ultimately though, in business, there always is a bottom line. Just goes to show you that the Real World is alot harder than some would think.

BTW, imagine what the press would have done had Rush Limbaugh had secured a no interest loan from a Boys & Girls Club?

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2006/09/air-america-stiffs-franken.php

Air America Stiffs Al Franken

THAT'S AL, FOLKS Franken wants a paycheckIs Air America Radio going belly up? The troubled left-leaning network is dismissing yesterday's report by Think Progress that it plans to file for bankruptcy on Friday. But you know things must be bad when even your top star can't get paid.
    "I don't know if that's true or not," Al Franken told Radar late Wednesday, when asked about the bankruptcy report. "We do know that there have been cash-flow problems. I haven't been paid in a while. Like, there's no cash flowing to me."

It's not the first time Franken has gone without a salary. Air America ran out of money promptly after it launched in 2004, after disgraced former chairman Evan Cohen inflated the amount of money he had raised to fund the network. The debacle nearly killed the network in its infancy, and led to a legendary incident in which Cohen reportedly sent an executive to Franken's apartment to hand-deliver an envelope purportedly containing all of his back pay. It was empty.

Since then, Air America has seen a litany of troubles, executive departures, talent shuffles, and lawsuits. Six months ago, the network was booted from its flagship station in New York City, WLIB, to a much weaker signal that doesn't cover the entire city, and it laid off five staffers on September 11, according to the New York Post.

.....And then there's the matter of the $875,000 the network owes to the Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Club. As has been extensively covered on right-wing blogs, Cohen convinced the nonprofit club—he sat on the board—to OK a massive interest-free loan to keep the network afloat in its early days. When news of the arrangement broke—liberal radio net steals from poor kids!—Air America agreed to repay the loan in full, and the New York City Department of Investigation started looking into the propriety of the transaction.

Air America says the money is in an escrow account controlled by its lawyers, who have been instructed by the DOI to wait until their investigation is complete before transferring it back to the Boys and Girls Club. But neither Jack Kiley, an attorney for the Boys and Girls Club, nor Emily Gest, a spokeswoman for the DOI, could confirm that the escrow account actually exists. Asked whether she was certain that Air America had indeed deposited the funds in an escrow account, Gest would only say, "The Department of Investigation expects Air America to uphold its commitments to repay the victims of this scheme." Kiley says that a small portion of the loan has been repaid, and he expects that the remainder is forthcoming.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Clearly, right-wing audiences like hate radio more than left-wing audiences.
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah I knew some ignorant, condescending liberal apologist would make a statement like this one. "Denial" is not just a river in Egypt. They just can't come to terms with the fact that their message of hatred and intolerance doesn't appeal to mainstream America.

Liberals, for the most part, hate America and hate anyone with any sort of morals and decency... Then they sit in their ivory towers and wonder why nobody wants to listen to them rant and rave about how evil we all are and how we should strive to better understand Islamo-facism and militant homosexuality.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Reread your post in an hour of sobriety and notice how your hate-filled rant confirms my point that conservatives like hate radio more than liberals do.
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

Patters I've thought about this when Air America aired. Why do Repubs/right wingers own talk radio. I'm perplexed by it. You know, I bet more Dems listen to right leaning radio than they do left leaning. It's quite strange. Personally, I like listening to John Dipitro, Howie Carr, & Mike Savage (he's a loon, but I like his fearlessness and candor). Savage I used to listen to on my way to hockey on Tuesday nights. Since they've changed his time slot, I haven't listened. He's crazy. I'll skip over Rush when sports radio is boring, maybe once a month and for 10 minutes. Rush can make some nice points sometimes, but he's clearly biased. Too biased for my taste.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I think it's because the neocons are a social movement, similar to the student or civil rights movements of the 1960s or the temperance movment of the 1920s. If you're part of movement, you're looking for a leader: He might be Dylan, Rush, Martin Luther King, or Billy Sunday. It's only bad if the movement stands for something you don't believe in.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

The neo-cons are a movement? neo-cons would represent the far right. I'm not sure neo-cons represent the entire radio audience. Howie Carr is far from a neo-con, as is John Dipitro.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +335 / 1 / -9

America is my home--Americans are my family:

Who in their right mind wants to sit and listen to Hate Filled Morons like Jeanne Garafooly & Mohammad Frankensh!t TRASH their Home & Family.

These two Idiots are America's Enemy, the Muslim Terrorists love these kind of people.

Last year Garafooly said she was going to destroy "Right Wing Radio"
    :singing: :singing: :singing:

The only people listening to them was Barbara Streisand & Jimmy Sissy Carter.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I think when defining a movement, it's defined by its leaders. People like Rush, Savage, and Carr are among those who represent shared values among many conservative people. They disagree with some specific things that the pundits say, but like their overall ideas on how the world works. It will take someone else to figure out exactly what the neocon movement is about, but their hatred of liberalism certainly unites them and that's where people like Rush come in.
  10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. You will never find more venom, hatred and intolerance on any radio station than you do on Air America. Sorry if the truth upsets you so much.

Oh, by the way, I know how to write in bold too but it does nothing to enhance your point when the entire post is in bold. Nice try though..!!
  11. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The right has been saying this so long, its really a sign of their lack of credibility.

So, if they go bankrupt, what will happen? I think its good to have a variety of views out there and god knows we hear enough crazed ignorant oft-fabricated shiznot from the right.

Besides, AAR has done their job...they have finally awoken the MSM to the crimes of GWB, ******** Cheney, and Donald "I havent a phucking clue as to what Im doing" Rumsfeld..
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

Wow, I'll tell you that repsonse is something. So a movement is defined by it's leaders. So it's not defined by it's purpose and following? Furthermore, a neo-con and a conservative are far from one and the same. Just like a democrat and a liberal are not similar. I share values with dems, does that make me a liberal? I love how liberals are so anti-profiling and criticize stereotypes, yet are so quick to band all right of center thinkers as a neo-com movement. Too funny.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I'm really not trying to argue with you. I have nothing against social movements, except when I disagree with them, of course. The liberals right now do not have a movement. They do not have leaders like Rush and Bush that unite them. Why are you taking this personally? I wish that liberals had a movement, and I've said on this board before that one thing I admire about the neocons is that they've used a lot of the ideas from the student movement to promote their views. In any movement, you have a core of true believers, and then away from that core people have various degrees of support. Ther are many ways to look at history: through its leaders, through its followers, through the economic circumstances, through what is happening around the world, and so on, but it's certainly a common practice to look at history through its leaders. That's how most of us learned history in public school.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

They what? The media has been all over Bush long before AAR took to the airwaves.

It's deffinately good to have variety. Variety means choice, and choice means alternative views and opinions. The left has had a monopoly in the media for decades. I think righty radio was a means to counter that. Of course, Fox has leveled the playing field a bit in the last 10 years, much to the chagrin of the Dem following. I've always maintained that news outlets should be as unbiased as possible. When reporting the news, people should not represent it with a biased or angle. I have no qualms with specific shows/hosts taking an angle as long as it is known to the viewership. The Hannity's and Carville's of the world are fine as those who watch know where they are coming from. However, the "Nightly News" should be unbiased and unfiltered, Unfortunately the Big 3, Brokaw, Rather & Jennings were all closet lefties who subliminally brainwashed the viewers with there slanted reporting. I too was a victim of there subliminal messages until Fox came about and showed me that there was a biased media. Watching Fox exposed the media bias to me. Fox is right, the rest is left.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

Patters, I'm not taking this personally. I'm simply amazed that you would lob all people right of center and call them Neo-cons. It's quite an obsurdity. I'm a conservative and I'm so not a neo-con. Neo-cons are extremists, very similat to loony liberals. No thanks to either one of them. I would never call an average democrat a liberal. They are far from the same. MAtter of fact, I think liberals like Dukakis, Dean, Ted K, Kerry, et al, hav murdered the democratic message. The same way neo-cons have destroyed any assemblence of conservativism that had been asscociated with the GOP. See, to me there is a vast difference between being a conservative and a neo-con, just as there is a big difference between liberals, and run of the mill Dems.

I think the public school bit explains your thinking. Public School might as well be renamed as liberal breeding grounds. They've been hijacked by leftist thinking. I went to catholic school all my life. Well, till Suffolk anyhow. I'm no practicing catholic, as in I don't go to church, I believe in God in my own way.
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I know that, and I said that in an earlier post that I think you're more of a traditional conservative.

Well, I'm a liberal, as you know, but in general I agree with what you're saying. Neocons are extremist in the same sense that liberals are. But, neocons are cut from the Republican cloth, just as liberals are cut from the Democratic cloth.

I
    Well, to tell you the truth, teaching history from the point of view of leaders was considered reactionary by leftists, and the norm by conservatives and most mainstream teaching groups. Leftists argued, for instance, that our Revolution wasn't led the father's of our country, but was led the workers and the oppressed who fled England to set up a new country. I believe Catholic schools taught in the same way. It's only when you get into college that, if you're a history major, you begin to look at the different ways history can be taught. For kids, it's certainly easiest to understand George Washington is father of our country.
  17. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No way. The MSM gave Bush a five year pass post 9-11. He could do no wrong. Katrina largely changed that but AAR has had a big role since 04.

We are only now getting from the MSM slices of the bigger picture. That there is a major assault on the US constitution coming from a unitary executive.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

I so disagree Brown. A 5 year pass? You can't be serious. They murdered Bush (most of it warranted btw) for jobs, the economy, his tax break "for the rich", his prescription benefit for pharmacuticals, letting UBL get away, you name it. Bush got kudos for his post 9/11 leadership, no doubt, but the revisionists later ridiculed him for sitting there next to the kids for 7 minutes, after they praised him for his relative calm. I love revisionist history. Anyhow, Rathergate was rather telling of the MSM's disdain for GW. Also, I remember all the great press Kerry got before the primary, and after. GW won in '04 despite the MSM's best efforts to see him loose. Now, according to my math, 2004-2001 = 3?
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +307 / 4 / -2

I'm more conservative yes. It tends to lean me more toward GOP candidates or positons, again, it tends to. The GOP is far from conservative these days. Anyhow, I do believe in social programs. I'm by no means liberal, as I feel that social programs in this country are grossly oversized and far reaching, but they do serve a needed purpose. Most neo-cons would disagree. They would terminate welfare and public education, I wouldn't. I'd simply downsize them...alot.

Yes, you are a liberal. It's unfortunate :p You're certainly not a yelling and screaming liberal like most I come accross (NEM for example), which makes debate actually possible. As for the cloth part, I agree, they are cut as you say, but thats where the similarities end.
  20. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hey, we disagree. But for many on the right, they think any time you actually use a thing called objective journalism you are being "liberal". Look at the overwhelming dominance of "opinion journalism" that they use to get their points out, or the fact that infotainment goes all out whenever a negative Bush report comes forward. Or, finally, they way they all fell for what Tom Ridge later called a political usage of terror warnings to deflect negative Bush news. BUt, okay...you see it your way.

Newsflash...just because the facts make Bush out to be an incompetant stooge, doesn't mean they are necessarily left leaning. As people are all well aware of now, he's really quite an incompetant bumbling knucklehead.

The Rather issue is one that failed the journalistic smell test. Rather presented a story based on a fraudulent document (probably written by Roves people) that undoubtedly should have been verified. But, can you assert that Bush showed up for his Guard duty? No. No one can. Because Bush has made every effort to cover this trail which he knows would have taken him down in 2000. (Oh wait, he actually lost that race, my bad)

Fox skewers the facts practically every day and noone blinks. Why, because they perfected the craft of opinion journalism. Its not my prob if you are having a hard time discriminating between that and real journalism.

Here...is this liberal?
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14814940/

or this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14684993/

Or how about this one?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14824384/site/newsweek/

Im just trying to determine if my thinking is because you are further right than you think, or I am reading too much "liberal" news.

BTW...as a libertarian, my primary opinion journalism LewRockwell.com has been ripping into Bush and his GOP shills in Congress for their radically excessive spending for years...

is such spending conservative to you? How about nation building? Is that a conservative value? Or, calling Vietnam veterans terrorist appeasers? Is that conservative??

And oh, 2006-2001= 5. Have a nice day.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006