PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ainge: Our chances are better this year

My first thoughts upon reading that article...

:rofl:

He sounds like a guy who doesn't want to admit that he made a massive mistake that has and could still hurt his team.

I am probably in the minority of the Celtics fans but I still think this trade has made the Celtics better now and in the future.....Perk gave you good defense (when healthy) and that's all....His offensive game was terrible and free throw shooting worse.....Nenad is an ok defender but has a better offensive game and can shoot FT's.....Especially if shaq is back for the playoffs then this team is still the team to beat in the East I believe....The second unit off the bench could be a starting unit for some teams in the league.....Plus I think it was a great trade for the Celts because we aren't getting any younger so Green and the 1st round pick for the future will really help....Plus unlike a lot of posters I don't feel we hurt our chances this season as well as planning for the future.....I just want to break down our 1st and 2nd units to see how this played out.....

Before the trade

Rondo
R. Allen
Pierce
KG
Perk

2nd unit
N. Robinson
D. west
L. Harandgody? we didn't really have a 3 on the roster
Big Baby
Shaq/J. O'neal/Erden

After the trade

Rondo
R. Allen
Pierce
KG
Shaq/Krstic

2nd Unit
D. West/C. Arroyo
Wafer/D. West
J. Green/Pavlovic
Big Baby/Murphy
Krstic/J. O'neal

To me before the trade, the 2nd unit had trouble scoring and was putting more pressure on the starters to play more minutes which could wear them down in the 4th Quarter.....Now we have athleticism, shooters and possibly a scorer in Green on the 2nd unit.....My opinion is yes our first unit gave up a little defense with Perk to gain a lot of scoring on the 2nd unit......

I am probably in the minority of the Celtics fans but I still think this trade has made the Celtics better now and in the future.....Perk gave you good defense (when healthy) and that's all....His offensive game was terrible and free throw shooting worse.....Nenad is an ok defender but has a better offensive game and can shoot FT's

Perk's offensive game wasn't terrible in that he was the best screen setter we had. Ray Allen has been awfully ineffective of late, and part of that is we don't have guys who can set a damn screen. Our halfcourt offensive set it pathetic, watching Rondo dribbling around waiting for someone to get free, and they can't.

Obviously - like with any discussion on this trade - it comes with the caveat that Shaq brings the same abilities Perk did, and that if Shaq comes back healthy, we'll have a big body that can get in the way of whoever is trying to track Ray around the court.

.....Especially if shaq is back for the playoffs then this team is still the team to beat in the East I believe....The second unit off the bench could be a starting unit for some teams in the league.....Plus I think it was a great trade for the Celts because we aren't getting any younger so Green and the 1st round pick for the future will really help....Plus unlike a lot of posters I don't feel we hurt our chances this season as well as planning for the future.....I just want to break down our 1st and 2nd units to see how this played out.....

What is Jeff Green's future with us? Are we going to pay him $10 milli a year to be an out-of-place 4 on this team?

To me before the trade, the 2nd unit had trouble scoring and was putting more pressure on the starters to play more minutes which could wear them down in the 4th Quarter.....Now we have athleticism, shooters and possibly a scorer in Green on the 2nd unit.....My opinion is yes our first unit gave up a little defense with Perk to gain a lot of scoring on the 2nd unit......

On paper, maybe. Not in reality, unfortunately. There's reason Oklahoma City fans were happy to be rid of Green - in spite of his talent, he's out of position no matter where he is on the court. He's been great in transition and his post-up is much better than I thought, but he can't shoot from the outside and he can't defend the 4 to save his life.

Where was the urgency to upgrade the 2nd unit? We tighten up the rotation every postseason. The 8 minutes that Pierce is off the floor in a given playoff game was not worth destroying our chemistry, identity, and a main strength - pick and roll basketball on both ends of the court. We can no longer set or defend picks, and our defense is pathetic in the lane.

Danny risked that Shaq would be healthy - and so far he is wrong. It's that simple, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
On paper, maybe. Not in reality, unfortunately. There's reason Oklahoma City fans were happy to be rid of Green - in spite of his talent, he's out of position no matter where he is on the court. He's been great in transition and his post-up is much better than I thought, but he can't shoot from the outside and he can't defend the 4 to save his life.

Where was the urgency to upgrade the 2nd unit? We tighten up the rotation every postseason. The 8 minutes that Pierce is off the floor in a given playoff game was not worth destroying our chemistry, identity, and a main strength - pick and roll basketball on both ends of the court. We can no longer set or defend picks, and our defense is pathetic in the lane.

Danny risked that Shaq would be healthy - and so far he is wrong. It's that simple, I'm afraid.

I understand where you are coming from and I do agree that more guys need to nut up and set some good screens for Ray as he has shot the ball extremely well this season.....Good point on Green and the resigning possibilities but I guess I am hoping that he will take a discount to play for a winning team/franchise....I am also thinking that if Pierce gets into foul trouble or when he is out of the game then green can guard someone like Lebron.....Green is big, quick and strong which will allow us to maybe give pierce more rest in a given game if Doc or the score sees fit.....I am frustrated by their lack of offensive production on both units but I guess I am looking at the players and their abilities and hoping that they will pull it together in the playoffs.....You are tired of watching rondo run around and I get tired of seeing the 2nd unit throw it to big baby on the post every possession.....Hopefully this extra practice time allowed them to work on their offensive struggles.....

The Celtics were not going anywhere without a productive player coming off the bench.

i fear the window for banners has closed for the celtics. time to break up the band?:(

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back