PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aikman Efficiency Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not crazy, but his system has a MAJOR flaw....

100% failure rate in the redzone doesn't mean jack S_H_I_T if you keep your opponent out of the redzone for 95% of the game, resulting in very little point allowed.

Seems to me that his 'System' doesn't put enough weight on pts allowed/game and the ability of a defense to keep the opponent out of the redzone for more than twice a game.
Didn't SD turn the ball over in the red zone last week??

I'm not sure why so many people are so quick to jump all over Aikman's ratings. He has been doing them for years and they are typically an excellent resource. What we see here is the pitfalls of small sample size.

As someone pointed out, NE's opponenets are 4/4 in red zone opportunities and NE has allowed a high amount of 1st downs compared to the amount of points and yards. This is because 3 of the 4 TD drives were plodding types that required several first downs to pull off.

As NE gets more plays under their belt and the #1 of 1st downs and points vs. yards evens out (for the better, hopefully) NE will work its way up. Again, no real reason to get that upset about it.

If NE averages 14 PPG against and forces more TO for the rest of the year then this ranking will clime.

No need to bash Aikman's ratings because the Pats are ranked low. All 32 teams are ranked fairly. The questions to ask are: Has New England been allowing these long, time consuming drives to kill the clock more quickly? Or does this defense have trouble stopping a team once it gets on a roll?

No need to bash Aikman's ratings because the Pats are ranked low. All 32 teams are ranked fairly. The questions to ask are: Has New England been allowing these long, time consuming drives to kill the clock more quickly? Or does this defense have trouble stopping a team once it gets on a roll?

Honestly, I think the way BB saw those drives unfolding, he just didn't give a #%_(@% whether they ended in points or not--if a team that's down by more than two touchdowns wants to waste a good chunk of time on a single drive (4:42 for the JEST, 8:17 for the Chargers), BB will be more than glad to oblige. . . . and, this season, show them how it's really done (10:28 against the JEST, 10:07 against the Chargers). :D

Honestly, I think the way BB saw those drives unfolding, he just didn't give a #%_(@% whether they ended in points or not--if a team that's down by more than two touchdowns wants to waste a good chunk of time on a single drive (4:42 for the JEST, 8:17 for the Chargers), BB will be more than glad to oblige. . . . and, this season, show them how it's really done (10:28 against the JEST, 10:07 against the Chargers). :D

I disagree. While I agree that on both of SD's and the second Jets' TD NE was probably shelving some of their more exotic stuff, I don't think any coach is ever happy to let a team consistently convert 3rd downs like NE allowed on those drives.

Opps, must have accidentally scrolled back up. Anywho, doesn't change the fact that that is just plain wrong. Ranking 21 teams higher on Defense when we are ranking #1 officialy is so no right. This guy must have gone to Cape Cod Community College.
Hummmmmmmm, whats wrong with 4 C's?

OK, let's just bash the rankings because they are seriously flawed. When Football Outsiders and the NFL both show a team as having the #1 defense, another formula that rates that defense as the #22 defense is seriously flawed.

The correct approach for a seriously flawed formula is to fix it, not defend it.

OK, let's just bash the rankings because they are seriously flawed. When Football Outsiders and the NFL both show a team as having the #1 defense, another formula that rates that defense as the #22 defense is seriously flawed.

The correct approach for a seriously flawed formula is to fix it, not defend it.

Np, it means that sample size is an issue.

By week 10, when the indicators have evened out and NE is a top team in both categories, people will be linking to this as proof of NE's dominance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back