Welcome to PatsFans.com

AIDS "under control, no big problem"???

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Maybe with private insurance companies, as well as American tax-payers, paying through the nose to provide mega-expensive designer drugs to slow down the effects of the disease in America, for those in other parts of the world, things are not so rosy:

[size=+2]Deadly HIV-TB co-epidemic sweeps sub-Saharan Africa[/size]

Nov 2 09:09 AM US/Eastern

Drug-resistant tuberculosis and HIV have merged into a double-barreled epidemic that is sweeping across sub-Saharan Africa and threatening global efforts to eradicate both diseases, according to a report released Friday.

Over-burdened health systems are unable to cope with the epidemic and risk collapse, said the report, which calls for urgent measures to curb its spread.

A third of the world's 40 million HIV/AIDS sufferers also have TB, and the death rate for people infected with both is five times higher than that for tuberculosis alone.

The situation is aggravated by surging rates of multi-drug resistant (MDR) and extensively drug-resistant (XDR) TB precisely in those areas where the rates of HIV infection are highest.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=071102130923.4lpdtskq&show_article=1

//

2. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It's surprising that there's no comment on this, especially from those who say the HIV/AIDS problem is pretty much non-existent any more.

The people in Africa obviously would say something different.

//

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i think the dearth of responses has more to do with people being completely bored with you, and your religious condemnation ... you've essentially been muted past the point of mattering...

4. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I see you are still a legend in your own mind, "muting" people at your will, with the simple stroke of your keyboard!!

:rofl:

In your dreams, pal.

//

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ok... well, you keep waiting patiently for people to give a shyt about your slant...

6. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I have too much work as it is keeping up with the few threads I do start, not to mention the others I join. Wish I could be patient.

//

7. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Oh, it's well under control...

POPULATION CONTROL.

8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

by the way... .curious... what's your new avatar all about!?!? hmmmm?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 20 / -30

Do not understand your point, the other day you argued about institutionalizing HIV patients in the US.. today you post this.. do you think we should subsidize this in Africa? Do you think all Africans with HIV should be institutionalized? Not sure what this discussion is about..

You never answered the question I asked when you posted the thread about institutionalizing all the people with HIV in the US.. how will you pay for it?? Even the most conservative person in the world, would have some concerns for their civil liberties.

In reality if this was happening in Europe, Japan or other nation we are more closely related to, the response would be different.. but because it is happening in the "Dark Continent" it seems further away.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  10. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Some people have claimed that the HIV/AIDS problem is "under control".

Clearly from this latest news article, HIV/AIDS is anything but "under control". Millions -- tens of millions and more -- are at life or death risk due to the stubborn naive insistence that "drugs will save us". Drugs will not save us; we need to save ourselves, and that is possible only through the disciplined and proper control of one's sexual desire.

//

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +988 / 2 / -9

AIDS is still with us, the Loons just stopped talking about it, they don't want to "offend" just as they don't want to "offend" Mohammad Atta's sister in law, besides they have been busy beating the sh!t out of GW Bush.

President Bush has driven them all INSANE :rocker:

There is only one way to slow down AIDS "COMMON SENSE"

Liberals hate common sense (if it feels good do it freedom sh!t)
    Good Luck
    :bricks:

12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

PC is in my KF, but I do enjoy reading his posts 2nd-hand occassionally. It seems that in his world, every conservative in the forum has no friends, everyone's uncivil (but certainly not him) and every post made from a conservative gets absolutely zero responses and just falls to the bottom of the page.

He's just not living in the real world. He contributed nothing in terms of arguments of discussion. It's 100% venom and hatred. You should KF him too.

13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +487 / 20 / -17

You're certainly right that AIDS is a terrible problem in Africa, but it is under control in many of the developed countries and is more under control elsewhere. Actually, President Bush, Clinton, Bill Gates, and others have used their influence and money or money-raising abilities to help fight this disease. It's been a wonderful example of humanity without regard to politics. A good amount of credit also goes to U2's AIDS who played an important role in winning over some key conservatives, like Jesse Helms and Bush's former sec'y of the treasury; I forget the name. There's a global war on AIDS, and I think we are making progress, but there is a long way to go.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35538-2004Jul7.html

14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The first attempt at a thread on AIDS didn't go well for our resident ex-patriot preacher, so he had to start a new one on the same subject except with a focus on Africa this time. Maybe the Africans should quarantine 1/3 of their population until their population dies off. Maybe they should stop having children and just hope for the best.

No chance they would be encouraged to use birth control because the religious nuts of all stripes tell them how bad contraception is is the eyes of God. Besides, who would mine the diamonds and gold for the pope and Pat Robertson's wife?:rofl:

15. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No, you obviously are NOT keeping up with the conversations here. Please do better at finding out where the discussion has been before you put your foot in your mouth (!!).

Patters, for one, has said the AIDS situation is all honky dory and "not a problem". This thread is based on a report coming from Africa that clearly contradicts any assertion that HIV/AIDS is "under control" in the world. Sure, America and other rich nations may have the VERY expensive designer drugs to delay the onset of the deadly effects of of HIV/AIDS, but for the majority of people in the world who have the disease -- that's people in Africa and Asia (India and now China) -- the problem is FAR from fixed.

//

16. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +487 / 20 / -17

Actually, that's not what I said, and clarified it in a later post, saying that it's under control in the developed countries and good progress is being made elsewhere.

17. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I did that once for a short time, but I like it better knowing what he's saying, even if I disagree with it.

//

18. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, that's the point: the *symptoms* of the disease are "under control" for rich America, but obviously (from the news report, as well as abundant other sources) NOT under control in many other parts of the world, "good progress" notwithstanding.

The fact is: the underlying causes of the disease are being avoided like such a discussion would be worse than the disease itself. Bad, bad move, because this only delays the inevitable and ducking the issue only procrastinates getting things really repaired.

The ONLY way this disease, like any other -- such as cancer, heart disease, or diabetes (to name only a few) -- will ever be truly "brought under control" is when we fearlessly deal forthrightly with the behavioral factors that cause the transmission of HIV/AIDS. That's going to take guts in today's political climate, but it has to be done. Or the entire of humankind may be destroyed.

//

19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Link, please.....:rofl:

20. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0