Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ahmadinejad invites Bush to speak at an Iranian University

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

My first thoughts are that he should go. Of course there are some reasons why he might not want to.

Ahmadinejad: Bush can speak at a university if he should ever travel to Iran

The Associated Press
    Friday, September 28, 2007

TEHRAN, Iran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has extended an invitation to U.S. President George W. Bush to speak at an Iranian university if the American leader ever traveled to the Islamic Republic, state-run television reported Friday.

As part of his controversial trip to New York, the hardline Iranian leader spoke Monday at Columbia University, where he faced hostile questioning and a combative introduction by the university's president, who said Ahmadinejad exhibited "all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator."

"If their president plans to travel to Iran, we will allow him to make a speech" at a university, Ahmadinejad told state TV before leaving New York to travel to South America earlier this week.

His comments were aired on state TV Friday and signaled an unusual readiness by Iran to receive an American president after more than a quarter century with no diplomatic ties.

http://www.iht.com/bin/print.php?id=7670210
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Bush should totally do this. I know the man can't speak, but they can fix his f-ups in the transcripts.

Clinton would've done it.
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I'm not sure that Clinton would have, for some of the same reasons I'm not sure GW would. Iran clearly censors, edits, distorts, and propogandizes it's news. I think that might be a setting that a US president wouldn't agree too speak in. I remember when GW went to China to speak early in his presidency, they had to agree to certain rules regarding the speech's broadcast. Would it be, when, to whom, what would be edited, etc. I don't think GW would want to go there, speak to a hand picked group of government agents, and then have the news spew some whacko info that never happened, knowing full well that no one in the room was going to admit to what did. I'd like to see him go mind you. I'm just wondering if it could even happen.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Check out Clinton's speech at the University of Beijing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/122320.stm
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 1 / -9

I bet he will go

He can tell them we have no Straight People in America
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Post of the WEEK!
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

:rofl: Harry, you fu-kin rule!:woohoo:
    Here's to you! :eat3:
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Not sure why he would want to go, he can rely on second and third hand information from like minded people in the event any decision has to be made, his mind is made up already and nothing will change it.