PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ahmad Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bevster

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
GBN reports the rumor that Ahmad Brooks has been dismissed from Virginia's football program.

Has anyone else heard this? If he has been dismissed, can he still be draft eligible for 2006?

From a Patriot perspective eligibility or lack thereof would be a moot point, he's now Raider material.

the cavs website is claiming he has been tossed and will apply for the supplemental draft

so if he goes sup draft, we could offer our 2007 #1 for him, right?

PatsWorldChamps said:
so if he goes sup draft, we could offer our 2007 #1 for him, right?

Technically speaking we "could". But if we did I'd want Pioli and BB's head examined. Brooks can't stay healthy and has major off-field issues. I might not mind a 6th or 7th round flyer if the kid's interview was out of sight, but some other team will probably spend an earlier pick on him.

Mulehead said:
... but some other team will probably spend an earlier pick on him.

Yeah, the Raiders or the Vikes.

I've thought Brooks would look good in the Pats middle, but the off the field issues are a concern. If the reports are true, getting kicked off the team doesn't bode well for starting an NFL career. I'm less concerned about the injuries, but still something to consider. I did a search on Brooks and one site had him up to almost 280 lbs. If he goes into the Suplimental Draft, a later round flier might just be worth it.

According to ESPN, this is a false rumor. That Brooks has not been kicked off the team.

It has been a long, tough stretch for Virginia coach Al Groh, as he has faced off-field problems with a couple of key players, as well as the task of rebuilding his coaching staff after four departures late last year. It seemed as if football and recruiting had become the focus again, until this week anyway. CavsCorner.com has learned that one of UVa's expected top players for the 2006 season has been dismissed from the team.

Associated Press

Ahmad Brooks' playing days at Virginia are now over.
Ahmad Brooks, considered among the best linebackers in the nation when healthy, will no longer be a part of the Virginia program, according to sources close to the situation.

The decision to release Brooks from the team was made after an off-field incident that recently took place, although sources refused to elaborate on the specifics.

The 6-foot-4, 249-pound rising senior had just decided last month to return to UVa for his final year of eligibility and not enter the NFL draft.

Sources said he will now submit an appeal to be included in the draft this April or look to be a part of the NFL's supplemental draft that takes place each summer.

http://virginia.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=514271

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&%09s=1045855934950&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834179510&path=%21sports%21colleges%21uva

U.Va. officials say Brooks not dropped
Internet report had said linebacker was dismissed and would try to turn pro

BY JEFF WHITE
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Feb 18, 2006

CHARLOTTESVILLE - University of Virginia officials, responding to an Internet report, said yesterday that star linebacker Ahmad Brooks is still on the school's football team.

// //
A Web site devoted to U.Va. sports, citing unidentified sources, reported yesterday morning that Brooks has been dismissed from the team and would try to play in the NFL this season. CavsCorner.com, which is not affiliated with U.Va., said Brooks' dismissal stemmed from a recent "off-field incident" on which its sources would not elaborate.

After speaking yesterday with coach Al Groh, U.Va. spokesman Jim Daves told The Times-Dispatch that Brooks' "status on our football team has not changed. He is a member of our football team."

In an e-mail to the T-D, Virginia Athletic Director Craig Littlepage said, "Ahmad's eligibility to participate has not changed." But a source close to the U.Va. football program expressed surprise yesterday that Groh had said Brooks was still on the team.

The T-D's attempts to reach Brooks' family yesterday were unsuccessful.

Should Brooks leave the U.Va. program prematurely, he might be eligible for the upcoming NFL supplemental draft.

Sorry, bkinnas. Your "AP" Article is just a rumor.

Last edited:
Despite his talent, Brooks isn't Patriots material...

PatDaPatriot said:
Despite his talent, Brooks isn't Patriots material...
All it would take take is a five second call to BB friend Al Groh to see if this guy is worth the hassle.

If Brook's head is on straight, I take him in a skinny minute. As I said, if his head is on straight, he is the prototypical 3-4 ILB and the best 3-4 ILB that college football has produced in quite some time.
He's smart, got great instincts, great lateral movement, sheds blockers extremely quickly and while he's above average against the run, he's also decent in coverage.
I would be extremely interested to learn what "team rule" he broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down