PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ahmad Brooks Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pats have a decent shot at getting him if they want because they would be in line in the middle of the round this year for hopefully a much later in the round pick next year, and their 20 or 21st pick this year is ahead of several teams that might want Brooks. Also, bad teams are less likely to give up a pick if perhaps the GM knows they might have a likely chance to be 'stuck' with a high pick in the round next year.

Make any sense?

You have some good points but not totally :)

The Manginis, Crennels, Pacells and Sabans all are ahead of us in the draft for a given round.

What we do have goind for us is the Jets have to realize they'll probably be a top ten pick again which makes giving up a #2 or #3 that much more risky. The Browns drafted 3 LB high which makes them much less likely. And the Cowboys drafted Ware in 2005 and Carpenter in 2006.

Of course, there's Saban who is ahead of us and seems to love reclamation projects. Plus he seems quite happy trading draft choices away.

Since Brooks played at virginia, I'm sure al groh would give some insight to BB in what type of player and character this guy has. It may take a 2nd to get this guy if al groh gives the thumbs up.

JustWinBrady said:
Since Brooks played at virginia, I'm sure al groh would give some insight to BB in what type of player and character this guy has. It may take a 2nd to get this guy if al groh gives the thumbs up.
Yep. As the workout is at Groh's house it seems to suggest Brooks is in good graces with Groh again. It seems that way, anyway.

Well, I am not going to rip'em if they give up second round or lower pick for this guy, and I am not going to get riled up if they don't get him.

But it is a very intriguing possiblity.

Anyone know if a suplimental pick will count toward this years draft pool? And if so, are we going to have trouble getting everbody signed?

14thDragon said:
Anyone know if a suplimental pick will count toward this years draft pool? And if so, are we going to have trouble getting everbody signed?
I read that it does count toward this year's pool (although I don't know for sure) and have no idea if the pool is then increased or if it causes problems.

dont just be worried about 3-4 teams..some 4-3 may look at him as a DE along with LB. 260..he can add 10 pounds easily and not lose a lot of speeed...Freeney is 268

Remix 6 said:
dont just be worried about 3-4 teams..some 4-3 may look at him as a DE along with LB. 260..he can add 10 pounds easily and not lose a lot of speeed...Freeney is 268
With the number of teams supposedly interested, I imagine you are right.

Having read that, I am officially upping the ante to a 2nd rounder. I would do that. A bit risky, but given the upside - and next year's extra pick from Givens - why not roll the dice?

The most I'd give for him is a 4th-rounder.

Give up a second rounder. Do it, he would've been the third player taken, he's 261, and runs a 4.5, and he has sick instincts. Hey we've had headcases before, Bruschi and Harrison will make sure his head is screwed on right.

With our easy schedule, you really are talking about a potential to be the 60-64th pick overall, in round 2.

JustWinBrady said:

Well, Groh was at the Pats minicamp last week. If BB is interested, you can bet he got all he needed to hear from his ol' buddy.

Maybe this is why we didn't draft an LB until the 6th Rd. I'd give up a 2nd next year - no question. Based on the following analysis, you'd even think about a 1st:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospects/ahmad_brooks.html

He has even lined up as a kick returner, averaging 27.5 yards on 2 returns in 2004.

There's our answer in the return game.

I've been a Brooks fan in the past, however I think a 2nd is too high. Do we want to risk a 2nd for a player that has regressed the past several years and was kicked off his team? I personally wouldn't go higher than a 4th. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
A candidate for Profootballtalk's All-Turd Team? I'll give up an 8th round pick for him, but no higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's Herald

If the Patriots have a serious interest in former Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks, an entrant in the July 13 supplemental draft, they’re holding their cards awfully close to the vest.

According to agent Greg Williams, approximately 40 officials representing 22 teams attended Brooks’ pro day on the Charlottesville, Va., campus yesterday.

The Patriots were not among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey