PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ah! Bob Ryan is trashing the Pats, Belichick, and the fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob's right, it was a bad call. The call should have been roughing the passer, Pats ball 15 yards from the spot of the foul. That said, I'll settle for the tuck rule call.

I agree. And not near enough people point it out.

I'm not sure at all why any Patriot fan should expect anything else from this relic GIVEN the trash he wrote a few months ago.
That piece served notice to all that he was clearly one of the loudest singers in the ESPN chorus of quacks...he had to show them he wa sone of them...NO reason to expect anything but that from him. he's a hack..pure and simple..even his basketball pieces are drivel compared to what he wrote years ago. Here's a writer that HAD integrity but threw it all away to be one of the ESPN guys..let his soul rot in hell...with all the others.

As soon as Bob Ryan writes his first column about Tim Donahy and the corrupt NBA and comes clean with everyone about the circumstances that surrounds his Son's suicide ,then he will be in a position to criticize everyone.Until then His colset is too full of skeltons.

As soon as Bob Ryan writes his first column about Tim Donahy and the corrupt NBA and comes clean with everyone about the circumstances that surrounds his Son's suicide ,then he will be in a position to criticize everyone.Until then His colset is too full of skeltons.

Um, one's worth mentioning, the other is not.

Can't we blow this out of the water already. The pats could gather enough evidence about other teams to make this die once and for all couldn't they.

Come on people, it's much better to win a championship by BUYING your way to it.

Sox and Schilling + $200 million dollar payroll, or Celtics and their sham trades for Garnett!

Ryan is intellectually bankrupt on this one.

The Red Sox have never had a $200m payroll, and how is trading one of the best young players in the game and a bunch of other pieces for Garnett a sham? Ahh the inferiority complex. It's the only thing you can guarantee around this board.

Bob's right, it was a bad call. The call should have been roughing the passer, Pats ball 15 yards from the spot of the foul. That said, I'll settle for the tuck rule call.
In that case, then they should have called Mike Vrabel for roughing the passer in SBXXXVI which would have wiped out Ty Law's INT-TD.

controversy sells. Its already got him a 5 page thread on these boards. Is it just me or does it seem like the more and more that these journalists become detatched from the public opinon that they try to become more and more controversial in their writings and opinons. Its like the know they can say what they want, no matter how bad and incorrect, and they can get away with it as long as they are not on a call in show. Its like they mouth of what they think will get people talking and then they can go a hide behind the tv camera. Look at Massaroti, ever since the absolute beating he took on the Big show after his famous herald article calling out Pats fans, he has been as quiet as a mouse.

Usually in other cities, beat writers actually defend the home team to the death. Why is it not that way in Boston?

Originally Posted by ctpatsfan77

You are correct sir. A blow to the head of the QB could have been the call on Charles Woodson. It would have moved us 15 yards further and O.T. might have not been necessary. Certainly more blatant than the Ben Drieth call against Hamilton on Stabler. The better team lost that day in 76. Don't you ever ***** Oakland fans.
I have seen many lesser helmet hits on the QB called.
DW Toys

WRONG - The call made was 100% correct. If you don't like or agree with the rule, that is one thing - but the official made the correct ruling - there should be no debate over this.
Roughing the passer - sure, they did, but that should not even be a fallback inmo.

Last edited:
Can't we blow this out of the water already. The pats could gather enough evidence about other teams to make this die once and for all couldn't they.

I always felt they sure could and have often wondered why they didn't.

The old Bob Ryan was a great basketball writer. The current Bob Ryan is an empty shell of his former self who is a talking head for ESPN and follows the party line regarding the Pats and Bellichick. There is no difference in the content between his articles about them and that of Greg Easterbrook except for the byline and writing style. Its obvious that he no longer considers himself a Boston writer and the stuff he turns out for the Globe is just hack writer quality.

The old Bob Ryan was a great basketball writer. The current Bob Ryan is an empty shell of his former self who is a talking head for ESPN and follows the party line regarding the Pats and Bellichick. There is no difference in the content between his articles about them and that of Greg Easterbrook except for the byline and writing style. Its obvious that he no longer considers himself a Boston writer and the stuff he turns out for the Globe is just hack writer quality.

Well said. Very, very true.

It's also worth noting he's no longer a good NBA writer and is very out of touch w the league.

As I recall, this is not Ryan's first time speaking against the Pats recently. While he points fingers at Pats fans for being homers, he seems to have downed quite a bit of Bristol brewed Kool Aid since being surrounded by espn employees.

Bringing up both the tuck rule and spygate in conversation is an obvious ploy by Ryan at stirring up emotions and controversy. Not to beat a dead horse, but contrary to public opinion outside of New England, that was not a bad call; it was absolutely the correct call of a specific rule. Now it may be argued that it was a bad rule, but it was the correct call. What would people have preferred, that officials disregard the rulebook in the middle of a game because they think a rule is bad?

In addition, it was not even an obscure rule; the same rule had been applied involving Vinny Testaverde in a game earlier in the season between the Jets and Pats. And as I recall, one of the analysts in the booth was saying that the league had gone over the tuck rule in the beginning of that season, and he knew the call would soon be overturned.

Perhaps Ryan (and Raider fans) should recall those facts, as well as Oakland's losses to mediocre teams that would have given them home field, their failures to gain one yard that would have clinched a win, and the inability of the Raiders to do anything in the second half and overtime. But hey, why let facts get in the way of a good story - or rumor - right Bob?

Bringing up both the tuck rule and spygate in conversation is an obvious ploy by Ryan at stirring up emotions and controversy. Not to beat a dead horse, but contrary to public opinion outside of New England, that was not a bad call; it was absolutely the correct call of a specific rule. Now it may be argued that it was a bad rule, but it was the correct call. What would people have preferred, that officials disregard the rulebook in the middle of a game because they think a rule is bad?

In addition, it was not even an obscure rule; the same rule had been applied involving Vinny Testaverde in a game earlier in the season between the Jets and Pats. And as I recall, one of the analysts in the booth was saying that the league had gone over the tuck rule in the beginning of that season, and he knew the call would soon be overturned.

Perhaps Ryan (and Raider fans) should recall those facts, as well as Oakland's losses to mediocre teams that would have given them home field, their failures to gain one yard that would have clinched a win, and the inability of the Raiders to do anything in the second half and overtime. But hey, why let facts get in the way of a good story - or rumor - right Bob?

I was at the game, the 2nd of the season. Close game, VT gets sacked and FUMBLE! Recovered by the Pats! Only to have us ignoramouses in the stands get BS when the ball was given BACK to the Jets. WTF??? That was my intro to the Tuck rule. Hadda hear about it after the game. BTW, that was the week after 9/11, Bledsoe injured game.

That same rule was called about 4 times that season. Only the truly willfully ignorant about football prattle on about the 'bad call' like Ryan, who's past his shelf date. Like, NFL rules don't count if invoking them hurts the Pats?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back