PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Agreement "in principal" reached.However---

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Per ESPN Radio late this afternoon and a writer from USA Today named, Wiseman?

An agreement in principal has been reached between Upshaw and Tag. That is the purpose of the meeting tommorrow in Dallas.

However, according to Wiseman ( not sure if that's his name), he thinks there is only a 30% chance that the owners will accept it.

This fellow Wiseman has been covering the NFL since 1980 and covered both the 82 strike and the 87 almost strike.

No details as to exactly what this agreement in principal contains.

Without ESPN this past week ... in its sundry incarnations ... we'd have had no cud to chew at all.

The problem has been ... all its reports seem to be ... as Gene sees things.

Here, for instance, the story ISN'T that Gene thinks that Paul agrees with him "in principle" ... but that a lame-duck commissioner has to persuade owners who have shown quite some solidarity ... that this deal, now, is better than letting free agents suffer this year, while waiting to keep talking for the next eleven months. From the owners' standpoint, things simply are not that desperate.

Everyone is trying to scoop each other with headlines like "agreement in principle reached" when it just isn't so.

We've had identical reports for about two weeks now. I suppose if they keep it up eventually they will be right.

The reports I'm reading say that the deal will be presented to the owners tomorrow. There is no indication that they will approve it. There's no "tentative agreement" or "agreement in principle" unless both parties have actually agreed to something.

The only "agreement" I've seen is an agreement of the owners to consider the offer. Indeed, Tagliabue all but gave in to Upshaw's demand for 60%, retaining only a face saving 0.5% reduction from the Union's staunch position. I'm not holding my breath expecting owners to embrace this.

Nowhere in the reports is their any indication that the owners themselves have figured out how to share Total Football Revenue among themselves to ensure that all teams have equal money to spend on the new higher cap. That's not a minor issue to be dealt with - its the lynchpin that has prevented a REAL tentative agreement from being reached thus far.

I hope they get a deal done but this "tentative" or "in principle" stuff is just bad reporting... but eventually even a blind squirel finds a nut so we'll see.

I hope they get a deal done but this "tentative" or "in principle" stuff is just bad reporting... but eventually even a blind squirel finds a nut so we'll see.[/QUOTE]

From dictionary.com:

ten·ta·tive Not fully worked out, concluded, or agreed on; provisional: tentative plans.

* Which is what most sites are reporting

PatsSteve1 said:
I hope they get a deal done but this "tentative" or "in principle" stuff is just bad reporting... but eventually even a blind squirel finds a nut so we'll see.

From dictionary.com:

ten·ta·tive Not fully worked out, concluded, or agreed on; provisional: tentative plans.

* Which is what most sites are reporting[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to argue here - let me explain again...they are reporting a tentative agreement has been reached when a tentative agreement HAS NOT been reached.

What they should do is say "a proposal will be taken to the owners for a vote" rather than "a tentative agreement has been reached"

Who exactly is agreeing here? Tagliabue? His vote doesn't count. Only the owners' vote counts.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5386170

Had there been a clear-cut agreement between the two sides, then the sell would likely have been much easier to the Dallas gathering. The union stood tough on everything from cap cash and the cap number to the franchise tag and several other issues.

Instead, commissioner Paul Tagliabue will now approach the owners with a very pro-players proposal (which may not be a bad thing).

THAT'S what's happening tomorrow. I've read NOTHING that says the owners have tentatively agreed to that 59.5%.

Last edited:
THAT'S what's happening tomorrow. I've read NOTHING that says the owners have tentatively agreed to that 59.5%.[/QUOTE]

* The owners negotiating committee, made up of Tags and his assistants have made a tentative agreement with the union negotiating committe, made up of Upshaw and his assistants. It's, as the dictionary says, not " fully worked out, concluded, or agreed on". Even if the owners vote to accept the deal, it'll still be 'tentative' until the players vote on it and accept it. It's what a tentative deal means. I've been a union member most of my working life, and still am. Everytime the company and the union negotiating committee agree to a contract, it's a 'tentative' deal until the union members vote to accept it. I know we're just going thru wordplay masturbation here, but saying it's a tentative deal is not incorrect.

Gene Wilder to Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein...

"SEGAGIVE???!!!!!!...."

that's what I'm getting out of all this tentative crapola

PatsSteve1 said:
* The owners negotiating committee, made up of Tags and his assistants have made a tentative agreement with the union negotiating committe, made up of Upshaw and his assistants. It's, as the dictionary says, not " fully worked out, concluded, or agreed on". Even if the owners vote to accept the deal, it'll still be 'tentative' until the players vote on it and accept it. It's what a tentative deal means. I've been a union member most of my working life, and still am. Everytime the company and the union negotiating committee agree to a contract, it's a 'tentative' deal until the union members vote to accept it. I know we're just going thru wordplay masturbation here, but saying it's a tentative deal is not incorrect.

According to the Washington Post, it doesn't seem like even Tagliabue has agrees with what the press calls a "tentative agreement", let alone the owners. (making it perfectly clear that any news of the previous "tentative agreements" that the owners never agreed to have all been leaked by Upshaw)

Getting the owners to agree isn't just a minor step like having the rank and file sheetmetal workers endorse a propsal hammered out by their union reps.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/06/AR2006030601834.html

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue is scheduled to present a proposed labor settlement to team owners today in Dallas, and several sources around the league said yesterday they expected the proposal to be delivered with Tagliabue's endorsement.

A league spokesman denied the endorsement, however, saying that Tagliabue had not agreed to the proposal, which was formulated by the players' union and will be put before the owners during a meeting scheduled to begin this afternoon at a Dallas hotel.

The league plans for the owners to vote on the proposal today or tomorrow. Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations, said the prospective settlement that Tagliabue will present to the owners will be solely the union's proposal and the commissioner will not offer a recommendation about whether he thinks it should be ratified.

Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association, said last night that Tagliabue had made no formal promise to support the proposal, but he thinks that Tagliabue is in favor of a settlement.

"Everyone wants to know if he's going to endorse it," Upshaw said in a telephone interview. "My main issue is that he presents it. He doesn't get a vote. The owners have the votes. [But] if he didn't support it, you wouldn't think he'd be presenting it."

So "tentative agreement" means that Gene Upshaw agrees, but not Tagliabue, nor the owners, nor the players.

I get it now - thanks. I still think they've been a little loose in applying that term to all the "agreements" they've "reached' to this point.

Last edited:
My money is on this current deal being voted down. If that happens, I think it's a pretty safe bet that nothing else will change until next off season at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes