PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aging Linebackers - a neutral assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hallelujah, somebody in the national media actually watched a game and didn't say the Pats linebackers were old and slow. I guess there's a first for everything.

Pierre Woods did not look good at all IMO. Decent pass rush, but dropping into coverage and playing the run - he did not impress.

Mayo had his best game ever, and Guyton can be a starter.

Crable hasn't shown anything yet but is a good prospect.

One thing I DID notice during the 2nd half was the amount of energy and enthusiasm on defense. Havent seen that for a long time from the Pats

Last edited:
Yeah, it is odd that he didn't mention Guyton, but did say something about Crable and Woods. Though I can already see where the media is going next with their fallback-stories about the Pats after clicking on this article: they're now trying to convince the rest of the public that the team has a quarterback controversy.

LOL.. There is no QB controversy if Brady is healthy and ready to go. That is something we will not know for a long time, so let's not talk about it until we know Bradys health status.

The only "controversy" is where we should trade Cassel and what we can get out of him. I'd say a mid-late first rounder is reasonable considering all the QB busts out there (Alex Smith, Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, JP Losman, Rex Grossman, Kyle Boller). A conservative QB like Cassel who can manage the game and keep games close enough should be good enough for a 1st rounder.

Mayo is just a freakin stud....Guyton has been steal of the year....If only Crable can only stay heathly.....Woods played well enough...GO PATS!!!!

PFW out of Chicago. Probably, a big 10 apologist. Thinks the world is
built around Michigan/Ohio St.

One thing I DID notice during the 2nd half was the amount of energy and enthusiasm on defense. Havent seen that for a long time from the Pats

ya know how O-linemen love run blocking and pass-block because it's the bread and butter?

Betcha defensive guys feel that way about aggressive defense. Obviously in the Jets game they came after Brett, and they got him a lot of the time. That'll pump you up.

I've been seeing more of it in general this year but especially in the Jets game... and you have to wonder, whether or not he's officially a D-back coach, whether Capers has anything to do with that.

ya know how O-linemen love run blocking and pass-block because it's the bread and butter?

Betcha defensive guys feel that way about aggressive defense. Obviously in the Jets game they came after Brett, and they got him a lot of the time. That'll pump you up.

I've been seeing more of it in general this year but especially in the Jets game... and you have to wonder, whether or not he's officially a D-back coach, whether Capers has anything to do with that.

When they succeed on third freaking down - I'll be pumped up, stops on third down is the way to win football games.

That said, on topic, the future looks bright at LB with Guytons surprising play and Mayo's rookie of the year season. Crable is still unknown and Woods needs to do a better job starting next week. Hopefully, we can also get ALexander back soon as he provides needed depth. Vrabel and Bruschi are what they are and rock solid can best describe those two. Maybe, just maybe, we catch a break and see the return of AD down the road?? In any case, "D" will be the focus of this years upcoming amazing draft (amazing draft because many will be coming out in what could be the last year of the current CBA).

Last edited:
The D played an awful lot of snaps (77) this game, overall I don't think the D was bad especially considering they were down Warren and Thomas. Warren I think was a more critical loss for this game since the Jets have been running it so well recently. They Jets had a lot of success running at Wright. I think there are some very encouraging signs, the Jets had one special teams TD and the second half the D went from good to very solid. I think they may have been gassed on the Jets last two drives, also that is a future hall of fame QB they were playing against.

we will get a chance to see vince redd next week.........I think he could be a monster.........

woods did OK........a good backup is what he is, he will be tendered for next year, but likely gone after that.......

For all those who complain about our LB corps, I have two names--Chad Brown and Monte Biesel. It is really great to watch this young group of LB's step up and get experience. IMO, we can put our fears about the changing of the guard to rest for the most part.

As far as the last game, Woods looked decent rushing the passer, but other than that, I don't know if he's ready to fill Vrabel's shoes. Mayo looked GREAT. And Guyton was decent.

Mayo looks good. Do I see a seasoned linebacker crew in the next few years if one or all of Bruschi, Vrable and Thomas are gone??

Can't see how we don't struggle a year or two out of the next five with LBs that aren't quite ready.

I always liked Woods, but we're assuming he's ready to be a starter, because we haven't developed anyone else in the recent past. Hope he works out better than the last one (TBC).

For all those who complain about our LB corps, I have two names--Chad Brown and Monte Biesel. It is really great to watch this young group of LB's step up and get experience. IMO, we can put our fears about the changing of the guard to rest for the most part.

What does that mean? Young or old, except for Mayo, they're all examples of crossing your fingers and hoping things work out.

We still need to find our version of Lamar Woodley.

Speaking of which Woodley and Meriweather were my two picks that draft, and we could have had both, but not both and Mayo.
Would we have been better off with Woodley and Mayo, instead of Meriweather and Mayo. I'm a huge fan of Meriweahter's but take a look at this lb corp:
OLB: Woodley, (AD), Vrabel, Woods
ILB: Mayo, Bru, Guyton

That would be pretty sweet. Of course, we'd be screwed right now at safety.

We still need to find our version of Lamar Woodley.

Speaking of which Woodley and Meriweather were my two picks that draft, and we could have had both, but not both and Mayo.
Would we have been better off with Woodley and Mayo, instead of Meriweather and Mayo. I'm a huge fan of Meriweahter's but take a look at this lb corp:
OLB: Woodley, (AD), Vrabel, Woods
ILB: Mayo, Bru, Guyton

That would be pretty sweet. Of course, we'd be screwed right now at safety.

As good as Woodley looks, the question is whether he'd have gotten more snaps on this team than the Steelers, and with Vrabel and Thomas at OLB, the answer is definitely not. If we'd drafted him, he'd have most likely only just stepped into a starting role - and we'd be stuck with Bruschi and Victor Hobson at ILB - which doesn't really fill me with confidence.

Even with 20:20 hindsight I'd have still gone the same route that we did in the draft. I believe (hope?) we'll pick up our Woodley/Ware/Merriman next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes