Welcome to PatsFans.com

Agent Says It's a 'Travesty' What Patriots Are Doing to Mankins

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsFans.com Article, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsFans.com Article

PatsFans.com Article Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Agent Says It's a 'Travesty' What Patriots Are Doing to Mankins
    By: Ian Logue

When it comes to the contract situation between the Patriots and guard Logan Mankins, it appears very little has changed....

2. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +94 / 5 / -0

#3 Jersey

I love Logan Mankins, but he needs to have his head examined, having such a chump representing him.
  3. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

I suspect that we disagree with regard to the role of agents. Looking like a chump to posters doen't matter much. After Mankins get $10M for this year, and a contract extension with someone for 2012-2015, Mankins and his agent will be fine with the ridicule of posters. They will bot smile all the way to the bank.

I still haven't quite figured out how his agent screwed him over so badly that he will ONLY get $12M for his services in 2010 and 2011, and will still likely get a major contract (or contract extension) from 2011 onwards. He didn't even have to play much last year. Not bad for a guard who has made so many mistakes!

BOTTOM LINE
    I don't think that Mankins has a chump for an agent.

4. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +94 / 5 / -0

#3 Jersey

Why can't you disagree without the sarcasm?

Rudeness is actually not mandatory.

And to respond in kind: I guess you missed the part where this agent helped Mankins create a situation where he:

1 ~ Missed half a season of pay.
    2 ~ Turned down a MONSTER Mega-Contract ~ a generous one ~ that would've set him and his up for LIFE.

He'll PROBABLY still get that contract...but that's no guarantee. If he incurs an huge injury before hand, this Fail will go down as LEGENDARY.

Also:

3 ~ Half the fans of New England now think Mankins is an A Hole...And the other half think he's just stupid.

And no matter what you or they say, there ain't a soul alive who doesn't care about what millions of people think of him.

4 ~ All the money that he IS getting, he would've got, anyway: The chump adds NO value, while Logan risks EVERYTHING with this grandstanding, all the while seriously damaging his reputation with fans.
  5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 5 / -8

Unbelievable. Here's the actual quote:

"Logan's beard? It's a tapestry..."
  6. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -1

As good a player as he is, I started thinking about a year ago that Logan Mankins just isn't worth all the drama he causes.

It puts the team between a rock and a hard place though, because they don't want to be seen as willing to just give up on a contract malcontent, setting a bad precedent. I guess they are doing what they think is the best thing by franchising him, but I sort of hoped they'd just let him go and target a good guard in the draft. They clearly have the ability to develop good O linemen.

The way he and his agent cry in the press is just stupid, IMO. If he does get to the market, it will give some other team pause about giving him a big contract, because wouldn't you think he'll just do this again when he gets near the end of his contract with your team? Bleh. I wish he'd just shut up and sign his tender, or the Pats would get rid of him. This as the only "big" offseason story is a real downer.
  7. PaulThePat

PaulThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Was thinking the same.

Mankins has always been a favourite player of mine and I'd like nothing more than for him to see his days out as a Patriot. However, I am sick to death of him and his agent ripping the Pats in the media.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  8. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -1

Mankins is a professional on the field. Doubts about elsewhere...
  9. patman12

patman12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -1

So a guy doing his job makes him a chump? This is standard procedure for player agents and the way they get their players paid. It's all part of the game.
  10. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'll be insulted all day long for $10,000,000.

I wish all of these guys would just shut up and do their business in private like the rest of us.
  11. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

In a world filled with such evils as (and just to name a few off the top of my head) war, rape, poverty, child abuse, sexual abuse, starvation, child soldiers, civil unrest, brutal economies, unemployment, foreclosures, etc., etc., I think the word "travesty" probably ought not be used to describe the situation of a man being paid only $10 million to do his job.

Way to go, Frank Bauer.
  12. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

Read the last quote in the Rapaport article from this morning. Apparently, being paid at Evans' level (or even slightly above as the highest paid guy in the league) isn't good enough any more since Mankins played 8 games and made the Pro Bowl.

If they sign Mankins fine, but I too am done with the drama on this one.
  13. The Boston Patriot

The Boston Patriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

TO & Rosenthal, Part Deux. Time to get to the trade talks and be done with this mess.
  14. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Maybe when the federal mediator is done with the CBA he can take on the Mankins negotiations and gag Bauer.
  15. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +94 / 5 / -0

#3 Jersey

Whining and squealing in public is "standard procedure" for player agents??? [​IMG]

Insulting the player's team while turning down fair deals that pay you VAST quanties of cash is "standard procedure"?? [​IMG]

WRONG.

It's not unprecedented, I'll grant you: There are plenty of chumps, about.

But professionals manage to get the job done without setting their dignity to flames.
  16. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Not much to see here. An agent unhappy with negotiations takes a pot shot at the team. Happens all the time. Some fans get ticked off about it. Others just want it to go away. Many just ignore it. (I'm in this group.) Wake me up when Logan makes a decision.
  17. Its_The_Patriots

Its_The_Patriots Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

This! :ditto::agree:
  18. aabtec

aabtec Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have to agree. Maybe its the weather. Maybe its finding out a very good friend was wounded in Afganistan. But frankly the word travesty does not apply to someone playing football.

A travesty is Walter Reed hospital, that is so full of wounded soldiers that some are in the hallways as there are not enough rooms for them.

A travesty is seeing women and children used as shields by the Taliban.

There are many travesties in this world. Having a grown man whine about not making 12 million dollars to play a kid's game is not a travesty.

Sorry. I will go back under my rock now.
  19. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -1

You don't need to go back under your rock. Logan Mankins and his agent in particular need to crawl out from under theirs.
  20. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Eloquently put - Mankin's agent picked the wrong time to completely lose any sort of perspective on the world.

He's certainly not going to garner any sympathy for Logan by pretending we should feel sorry for his client.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.