PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Agent logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/08/05/no_reception_and_no_return/

The contract was rejected by Branch's agent, Jason Chayut, who said last month that one problem was the offer included too much money in the final years. Agents try to avoid deals with the majority of money in late years because NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. Another concern was making sure the deal held up over time. While the contract ranks highly among receivers at this time, it would surely dip as more receivers renegotiated contracts.

Okay, too much money in the last years of the contract. That was one reason for rejecting the contract.

The other reason? Apparrently not enough money in the last years of the contract, as other receivers get new contracts in upcoming years, their pays will be greater than Deion's, and his contract needs to take care of that.

Conflicting reason?

Anywya, the idea of making a contract today based on tomorrow's pay of other receivers is a bit much. No matter how high you make today's contracts, the next ones will be hight. You cannot make a contract so high that another player will not get a better one in a couple years.

You want next year's pay scale? Play out this year, and get your contract done next year.

Last edited:
So instead, Branch plays for very little this year, assuming he shows up in September, or plays for free (when you count the fines), if he holds out until week 10.

That'll solve eveything! :rolleyes:

The weird logic part to me is the agent is taking the 3 year extension money and combining it with the upcoming year for a total and dividing by 4 for the average. Pure bull. You suck, Branch, you were one of my favorites but you've shown your true colors as a greedy d!ck.

Another concern was making sure the deal held up over time. While the contract ranks highly among receivers at this time, it would surely dip as more receivers renegotiated contracts.

Earth to dumb-ass, that's what happens. You start out on top (or near the top), and as the years go by, people surpass you. But then, guess what, in 4 years, if Deion produces like he thinks he can, he'll surpass all the other players that surpassed him. And he only be 30 years old at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that if the Patriots offered to tie up Branch unil 2012 like Wayne's contract, Chayut would complain about the length of the deal. Instead they offered a three year extension which allows FA again before he's 30. Big Payday #II.

With 2010 cap estimate at $165 million, and the possibility of no cap at all, I would have thought they wanted a shorter contract?!?

With the pay exceeding the franchise tag of $6.1 million a year, the offer pays him top five money. What's not to like?

Devastating, space!

Is this situation ... which will be "textbook" for years to come ...
a farce becoming a travesty ... or the other way around?

Simply impossible to believe, if it were fiction.

BelichickFan said:
The weird logic part to me is the agent is taking the 3 year extension money and combining it with the upcoming year for a total and dividing by 4 for the average. Pure bull. You suck, Branch, you were one of my favorites but you've shown your true colors as a greedy d!ck.
I wonder when it will occur to the Boston press corps - or maybe just Deion Branch - that Jason Chayut doesn't get paid until next year unless he can construe this as a four year contract.

evil agent! trying to earn more money for his client. the nerve of that jerk.

deion should fire him if he has any sense.

it's a holdout folks. it's ok. deep breath.

the taildragger said:

The d1ckhead is under contract. A good contract proposal was made. And from appearances it seems that the agent is trying to earn money for himself rather than his client.

Last edited:
the taildragger said:

I think you missed the point. The quote wasn't about the holdout, it was about the two reasons for the holdout:

1. Too much money in hte back years.

2. Not enough in the back years.

I thought it was funny, in an illogical kind of way. Re-read Post #1 and see if you agree....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down