Welcome to PatsFans.com

Agent - LeBron opting out of final year of contract, becoming unrestricted free agent.

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics Fan Forum' started by KontradictioN, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,384 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

LeBron James will opt out of contract with Miami Heat - ESPN

I think he's as good as gone. As soon as the going gets tough, LeBron gets going... to a new team. I think he'll sign with Houston, personally. It's important to note he's not gone yet, but I highly doubt he's going to give Miami a chance to re-tool. He apparently had a problem with them letting Mike Miller go (a legitimate beef, IMO, as we missed him). But if he opts out before giving Riley a chance to re-tool that squad, he's a grade-A ***** in my book. If he leaves, I hope the Heat make a push for Carmelo this year and Durant next year while possibly drafting Napier so they can go and beat the brakes off of whatever team he goes to next.
  2. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,384 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

You guys wouldn't be interested in him coming to Boston though, right?
  3. SalemPats

SalemPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +135 / 17 / -17

No Jersey Selected

If he leaves again his legacy will be tarnished and I will have lost respect for him.

I personally don't want to come here
  4. SalemPats

SalemPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +135 / 17 / -17

No Jersey Selected

If Lebron, Melo, Love all jump ship I don't think this is a good sign for the NBA.
  5. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,384 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

That's why part of me thinks he won't opt out. He's obviously been concerned with his legacy, especially with regard to how it stacks up to the great ones. The great ones didn't change teams every four years. So I'm hoping he's opting out to renegotiate his contract and make it lower so the team can spend some money elsewhere. But we shall see...
  6. SalemPats

SalemPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +135 / 17 / -17

No Jersey Selected

I don't know how you can do better than 4 finals in a row, he found a team with an elite slasher in Wade, a skilled big man in Bosh and top-notch management. He's still a great player, but i will have lost respect for him. I don't think we have ever seen a superstar jump ship twice in his prime.
  7. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,384 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

The problem is that Wade is no longer elite. He needs to bring that contract back to the table and negotiate one that pays him as a 6th man, because that's where he's at in his career right now.
  8. SalemPats

SalemPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +135 / 17 / -17

No Jersey Selected

It kind of bother me that Lebron thinks he need another superstar like a Wade in his prime. He needs a good bench but he has a 20/10 guy in Bosh and i think it's time Bosh became the #2 option. We kind of gave LeBron a pass in the regular season, but he should have taken over more. the Bulls in their winning seasons had 60 wins consistently including a 70 win season. You expect that dominance from the Heat, especially in the East
  9. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +463 / 5 / -1

#95 Jersey

95% of heat fans just opted out as well after this move
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,384 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Good. They can feel free to hop off the bandwagon any time they so wish.
  11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,384 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

This is interesting...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11128345/nba-teams-gear-runs-lebron-james-carmelo-anthony

They may also be able to pull the trigger on a trade for a guy like DeAndre Jordan to give the Heat the athletic center that they've been missing since, well... since Shaq played for them. On top of that, Napier may fall into their range in the draft and they'd still have enough money to fill out the rest of the bench with younger, hungrier players.
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +804 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

I would no longer be a Celtics fan until he left ... yes I am serious.

But he's not coming here ... we have 2 stiffs under contract for a few years more in Green and Wallace.
  13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,384 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

I doubt that would hold true if his arrival was the catalyst for a few more titles in bean town.
  14. joepatsfan

joepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 4 / -4

#51 Jersey

I hate Lebron but if he showed up here I'd have to say yes.

I would still be very critical of him, but he'd make us a winner. Can't deny your favorite team winning.

Also realistically here are odds for me on where LBJ goes:

1. Miami 55%
    2. Houston 25%
    3. LA 10%
    4. NY 5%
    5. LAC 4.0000009%
    6. Cleveland .000000001%
    • Like Like x 1
  15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,384 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Of course you'd root for him. So would Icy if he brought the trophy back to Boston a couple more times to help solidify them as the winningest franchise in NBA history. As for your your prediction about where LeBron ends up, I agree. He's definitely coming back to Miami. I don't blame him for not taking a pay cut because he's the only one that did anything. But Wade and Bosh both are and it also sounds like they were at least interested in Lowry (he just agreed to a contract with the Raptors) as well as Gortat and a few other free agent options. Riley will have room and flexibility to add talent. Further, they already upgraded the PG position by drafting Napier.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +76 / 4 / -0

It'll never happen, but I'd take him. In the past, I would've stayed away. I thought he was all physical talent with lesser basketball skills, but he proved me wrong. He's changed his game, and he did well with what Miami had this year.

From a personality standpoint, the guy is kind of a DB, but at this point, I don't think he means to be. It's just who he is, and it's far more innocuous than a lot of the A-Holes in pro sports. I've mellowed on Lebron quite a bit, and gained more respect for his game in the last few years.

Don't get me wrong, wherever he signs, I will root against that team. And I do think he should sign back up with Miami if he's concerned with his legacy. He doesn't want to be viewed as a mercenary. If he signs somewhere else, to me he all but guarantees he'll never be in Jordan's category. The two eras of basketball will be so incomparable that whatever he achieves won't have any meaning vs. what Jordan did in Chicago.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  17. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,384 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Agreed with all of this. If LeBron moves on to, say, the Rockets, he'll simply be looked at as a whore that bolted when the going got tough. If he sticks it out with Miami and lets Riley do his thing to re-tool the team around him, he can cement his legacy. I don't think he'll ever be Jordan, but he can certainly be in the conversation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +186 / 35 / -22

No Jersey Selected

Looks like LBJ is returning to Cleveland, thanks to the Cs trade exception,
    according to the 4-letter network.
  19. joepatsfan

joepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 4 / -4

#51 Jersey

New LBJ odds:
    CLE 60%
    MIA 40%

Can't believe all that has transpired.

I will have alot more respect for LBJ if he returns to CLE. He will go home and attempt to make things right. I still will hate him, but I will have a lot more respect for him.

What a story if he does go back
  20. rochrist

rochrist Rookie

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0

That was a great trade for the Cs. They get a shooter they can flip to someone at the trade deadline to knock off 9 mil in salary, a legitimate center (although he may end up a serviceable backup) and yet another first rounder for a trade exception that was going to expire on Saturday.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.