PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Agent: Favre willing to play for Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jets offer 3rd round pick, could rise to a 1st round pick

The smart money is on Tampa.. Sorry to disapoint Jet fans..

Why would I be disappointed? According to 90 % of the people here he is no better then Chad Pennington and would mortgage our future.

Re: Jets offer 3rd round pick, could rise to a 1st round pick(Report)

I call it goin all in and bettin the house... a last resort to save their jobs, I dont blame them though they need to do somethin.

I agree they need to do something but there a better bet to save their jobs by not trading for Favre and putting a massive amount of expectation on this team.

Last edited:

Why would I be disappointed? According to 90 % of the people here he is no better then Chad Pennington and would mortgage our future.

Hes alot better then Pennington only an idiot would say otherwise.

That would mean that they cut Pennington? Wouldn't mind him as a back-up here, probably cost too much. With Farve and the other Jet trades, that would pretty much mortgage their future.

Dude, at this point, as of right now. Pennington is a better fit for the Jets than washed-up Brett. Go ahead Rat-man, you've already mortgaged the cap future of the Jets on this season, go ahead a fork over next year's #2 or #3 and really kill the team's future. I'm sure Pennington is ecstatic over this great news, that's OK Chad, come on over here, your Marshall connection Randy misses you anyway.

Now, now don't be so sensitive. Of course he's better than Pennington. His body of work speaks for itself. However, K-R, Brett Favre is OLD. He has also been playing in the National League of Football his entire career. The AFC is a tough place to play. If you guys were trading for Peyton Manning, THAT WOULD BE CAUSE FOR GREAT ALARM AND CONCERN. Brett Favre is past his prime. The man is 38 years old for cripes sake, he should have stayed retired, IHMO. Manning and Brady are in their prime. Brett Favre is not. It would be a waste of a draft pick, IMO.

Last edited:

Hes alot better then Pennington only an idiot would say otherwise.

I agree 100%, yet, I bet you will find a lot of idiots in here that feel that Favre sucks as a QB.

However, a #1 is a steep price to pay....

He clearly better than Pennington, but I don't think he will be a top QB no matter where he goes this season. I think he was so good last year in large part because his familiarity with his receivers and the system. Favre was still the same QB who who three 29 INTs in 2005 and only had 18 TDs in 2006.

I think the fact that Favre is going to a system he is unfamiliar with and receivers he has no continuity with other than Franks, he is going to have a very difficult time to be remotely as good as he was last year. He has a month to get up to speed with the offense and get a raporte with the receivers and training camp is basically over.

Without Farve, I think the Jets are a 6-9 win team probably ending with 7-8 wins. With Farve, they are a 7-10 win team probably ending with 8-9 wins. I just don't see the Jets as that good with or without Favre. I see them as a middle of the pack team either way. It will just affect where in that pack they reside.

I still give Buffalo a better chance of challenging for the division and a playoff spot than the Jets even with Favre in the equation. In fact, the Bills are a strong playoff contender in my book.

Now, now don't be so sensitive. Of course he's better than Pennington. His body of work speaks for itself. However, K-R, Brett Favre is OLD. He has also been playing in the National League of Football his entire career. The AFC is a tough place to play. If you guys were trading for Peyton Manning, THAT WOULD BE CAUSE FOR GREAT ALARM AND CONCERN. Brett Favre is past his prime. The man is 38 years old for cripes sake, he should have stayed retired, IHMO. Manning and Brady are in their prime. Brett Favre is not. It would be a waste of a draft pick, IMO.

You know what? Forget the age thing for a minute. I think if even Brady or Manning were in Favre's position of going to a new team a month before the start of the season and have to learn a new playbook that is very different than what they have ran their entire careers and gain continuity with their new receiver, they would struggle and have a down year. Brady less than Manning or Favre since the Patriots offensive playbook has changed so much from year to year, but they all would struggle in those conditions.

Teams don't hold passing camps, minicamps, and training camps for the fun of it. It is important for teams to gel and get their timing down. The Jets are going into the season with none of that and the one player who is most unfamiliar with everything is the one guy who is most important to the team.

Whether he goes to the Jets, Bucs, or Vikes; I think the fans of the team that gets Favre is due for a letdown. I think it is too late to acquire a new starting QB and expect him to be acclimated to the team by week #1.

Favre with the Jets? no worries... I just hope they spend a ton of cash along with draft pick(s) on this idiotic maneuver. Then, they'll really mortgaging their future. Desperate move...

You know what? Forget the age thing for a minute. I think if even Brady or Manning were in Favre's position of going to a new team a month before the start of the season and have to learn a new playbook that is very different than what they have ran their entire careers and gain continuity with their new receiver, they would struggle and have a down year. Brady less than Manning or Favre since the Patriots offensive playbook has changed so much from year to year, but they all would struggle in those conditions.

Teams don't hold passing camps, minicamps, and training camps for the fun of it. It is important for teams to gel and get their timing down. The Jets are going into the season with none of that and the one player who is most unfamiliar with everything is the one guy who is most important to the team.

Whether he goes to the Jets, Bucs, or Vikes; I think the fans of the team that gets Favre is due for a letdown. I think it is too late to acquire a new starting QB and expect him to be acclimated to the team by week #1.

Good point. Favre would improve their QB position for sure, but I still think that his better days are behind him.

The Jets FO (and possibly the Bucs) isn't too bright.

Hey, you know that 38 year old quarterback who has a propensity for interceptions, flip-flops like a pancake about the decision to retire every year, and loves to be the center of attention? Let's trade for him! He'll even have three whole weeks to learn our weak, inferior offense! :confused:

He won't make it to halftime ... AD will bury him ... that's it.

Jay Glazer who has good sources with the Packers said this morning that a major issue for the Packers front office is that in 05 and 06 Favre was not committed in the offseason, did not come to camp physically or mentally ready to play, and played terrible. In 07, he committed during the offseason. The team paid trainers from Athletes Performance in Arizona to fly down to Mississippi and work him out. He was prepared and had his best season in years. Favre's 08 offseason has been a repeat of 05 and 06.

What would the Favre of 2005 and 2006 be worth in a trade? Would anyone even give a 7th for that guy?

Just trade him to the bucs already.. The Jets fans think they are getting the Joe Namath again. Oh wait he was overated too:D

You know what? Forget the age thing for a minute. I think if even Brady or Manning were in Favre's position of going to a new team a month before the start of the season and have to learn a new playbook that is very different than what they have ran their entire careers and gain continuity with their new receiver, they would struggle and have a down year.

You bet -- just read Brady's comments in Esquire about the team/coach continuity he and Peyton have enjoyed, and how valuable it is.

That said, if the Jets can see that their current QB options just aren't going to get it done, then why the heck not roll the dice? Does it reek of desperation? Sure. But if you genuinely are desperate, better to reach for a maybe-possibly answer than just sit around on your hands pretending the situation is hunky-dory. At the very least, it's a canny business move -- you stem the rising tide of irrelevancy in a market you share with the reigning champs.

Wow. This will be huge if the Jets can pull this off. Yes Favre can lose games but he can also win them for you. That would be a big upgrade.

A third is relatively minor for an immediate upgrade and for the publicity/attention/jersey sales that this move would generate. The Jets would be a story all year with favre at the helm.

Also, didn't he say he would be interested in signing a multiyear contract if traded? They might get 2-3 years of Favre for a 3rd.

I don't want to see this trade happen if only because I want nothing good to happen for the Jets.

Please Lord, I don't ask for much; make this happen. Jets fans will be dancing in the streets over this and the thought of "The gunslinger" vs the Patriots twice next year, that is if he survives the first game, would be fun beyond belief.

Anything to make Jets fans think they have a shot, only to see thier hopes flushed down the toilet, how sweet it would be, the 39 years of torture continues into the big 40..............
Please please please

Favre is SOOOOO over-rated.

This is too good to be true. Especially if they give up a first round pick.

He won't be as threatening as people think he just won't be ready it's too late in the pre season for him to be ready as starting QB

I don't know what to think. I'd rather he not go to the Jets. Say what you want, it will improve their team. It wont kill me to see him in our division and an improved Jets team but I'd prefer to play a Pennington led Jets team than a Favre led Jets team.

He won't be as threatening as people think he just won't be ready it's too late in the pre season for him to be ready as starting QB

3 preseason games, if he got some time in next week, followed by the Dolphins in week 1. I don't see why people keep pointing to the time as if it actually means something truly significant. Weeks 2 and 3 are against the Patriots and Chargers respectively, so would be expected to be losses no matter who was under center for the Jets.

In essence, Favre would have the rest of training camp/exhibition games and the first 3 weeks of the NFL schedule to prepare for the run to the playoffs. Barring a disastrous upset against the Dolphins, the Jets' season playoff push would begin in week 4 against the Cardinals. That's followed by a bye week which would give Favre yet another week to get ready. The schedule following that:

Cincinnati
Oakland
Kansas City
Buffalo
St. Louis

With Favre under center, would it really be a surprise for the Jets to take 4 out of 5 in that stretch? The Jets could enter the rematch against New England with a 6-3 record.

NE
Tennesee
Denver
San Francisco
Buffalo
Seattle
Miami

Is there really any reason why a Favre led team couldn't get through that part of the schedule with a 3-4 or even 4-3 record?

3-4 gets them 9 wins, 4-3 gets them 10 wins, and that's not with any really impressive accomplishments. The Jets have an easy schedule, after all. Depending upon how well the O-line plays, 11 wins might even be reachable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back