PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After some reflection .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrellbee

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
It is kind of amusing to look back at the preseason chatter and compare that with how things worked out.

Samuels was widely regarded as only good enough to be used as a nickel back.

Caldwell was widely regarded as maybe 3rd on the WR depth chart. And that opinion carried through the first part of the season.

Loss of McGinest was widely regarded as devastating and an example of how the team should have paid Willie whatever big bucks it took to keep him or the LB production would be a big problem..

Lot's of opinions that Seau was over the hill and also especially that he wouldn't be able to fit into and be effective in the Patriots scheme. Oh what would we do without Willie.

Most preseason roster guesses had Beisel pencilled in as a starter at ILB, even in the face of demonstrated ineffectiveness.

Who predicted that Warren would become such a significant factor for the D-line play.

Have to stay tuned to see how Gostkowski and Jackson work out in the end.

Looking back is such fun. ;)

A nice reminder that our comments are just our humble opinions. IMHO, we have lots to be thankful for with this team (post-Tday leftover spirit). We are 8 and 3 with a relatively easy schedule left. We've had injuries but weathered them and fortunately Brady has remained healthy. The iron of the league is in the AFC but no team is unbeatable. Defense is stout (2nd in scoring) and offense is good and getting better. Warren has looked good for a while but he ahs really been a difference maker this year. Samuel has had a few good games and certainly earned the starter' role. Depth is still an issue in the secondary, but wilson scott and harrison returning before season's end will alleviate that. Letting Willie go turned out to be a good decision and i feel badly for him personally for his disappointing season. He played well for us last year but their must be metrics that BB/SP uses to make their prediction on when to let go (see Milloy, Lawyer). Beisel was a stiff last seaon and didn;'t show much in preseason to change that. Seau was a great pick up (to replace Beisel) and exceeded expectations. I think his leadership will continue on the sidelines this season. Caldwell has been our best but I'm hoping that the Pats use the next games to further define WR roles (Caldwell=possession, Gabriel=big target, jackson=deep threat). Gostkowski is a keeper and the 52 yarder this week is a great boost in his confidence and ours.

I will sheepishly admit that I was one that touted the Caldwell and Seau pre-season predictions. I was wrong on both counts. They both turned out to be good players for us.

All this goes back to 2 people: Bill Belicheck and Scott Pioli. They are the best judge of value to what will help this team. Look at all the guys we have let go and how many of them had better seasons after leaving us? Maybe Ty Law is this single player that has been productive in the NFL after leaving but he is the exception.

Can you imagine if BB was the President of the country? He would probably give Puerto Rico thier out right release and claim Cuba off waivers from Russia. He'd give the Coast Guard battleships and nuclear submarines . He'd name Richard Seymour, secretary of defense and name Rodney Harrison Director of Homeland Security.

PFD,agree with most of your thoughts,I noticed you said Harrison will be back before season end,is that a fact? I read earlier Harrison had a similiar injury at SD few years back and he missed the rest of the season,it would be great if he got back,I'm just worried it wont happen....

Asante was the guy I underestimated, based on an inconsistent career to this point. I still would like to see him play good through the playoffs. I bet Bioli would too.

I figured Caldwell to replace Givens, which is about what he has done in reality. He may be a default #1, but he hasn't made me forget Twig, Givens or Troy Brown of 2001-2002. At least production wise.

I didn't sweat the Willie move because I thought he slowed in 2005. I did sweat the lack of a good signing during the offseason/draft to replace him.

I was thrilled about Seau and still don't get why people weren't.

I always hated Beisel since about week 4 of 2005.

I have to scratch my head if nobody watched Warren since his rookie season, he played the second half of each game that year and was starting by the superbowl. I think the world of him, and he was great last year and the year before.

I like everything about Ghost!

Not sure what to think about Jackson. Maybe the 2nd round was where he deserved to get drafted after all! ;)

I remember the pre-season opinions of our secondary.

• Ellis Hobbs was a budding superstar. Now he is a bum, in many a fans eye. Of course playing one-handed has removed all hsi ability to catch or get an INT.
The reality is that somewhere in between the Hobbs of the second half of 2005 and his play to date in 2006.

• Chad Scott was a useless bum.
Now he is recognized to be a pretty good, big, CB and sometime safety, in the twilight of his career.

• Sanders was a bum.
Now he is recognized to a pretty fair developing strong safety, who can't play free safety too well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back