PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After some action - A Strange Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What about the kicker?

PatsMan26 said:
Mincey better then TBC? If TBC gets significant playing time (which he will this year) he will bring a lot to the table. Mincey may become something one day but right now TBC will contribute much more.

Dunno about Mincey but what specificly has TBC shown us in the last years and weeks that supports your 'contribute much more' position? I haven't seen it. Last season he didn't even dress for several games.

Dante could keep a LT instead of Stevenson. I would note that Gorin has been the abckup LT for most of the past three years. The primary team that Britt makes is the "posters' team". He get rave revues only one place, here. Britt could certainly step and push his way on the 53. I just don't see it. Besides, we can put him on the PS.

patchick said:
Maybe Dante does like Gorin, but as the backup LEFT tackle? If you're PUPing Kaczur, I think that makes a case for Wesley Britt to stick as the guy who's been seeing the LT action in camp.

You might make a list of all rookie UDFA's who didn't make the PS last year. Remember PKSam? Woods will be same of the practice squad, although he has a shot at the roster if Vrabel definitely moves inside. We would then keep an additional OLB (we could cut two ILB's and add Mincey and Woods).

BelichickFan said:
I don't like this group. Mincey will make the team. I'm most of the way through the 3rd quarter watching Mincey on every play and the guy is good considering he is switching positions. Strong at the point of attack, hustle, some pass rush moves. You can definitely take one of your horrible ILB off this list and replace him with Mincey. I don't care about the ILB/OLB thing, Vrabel can always go inside, that would probably be our best move right now. I'd prefer to have Mincey or Brown start at OLB than Beisel or Gardner at ILB - based on one game. Honestly, I might keep Woods over another ILB rather than cut him and hope to P.S. him. He was quite active although I liked Mincey better.

mgteich said:
You might make a list of all rookie UDFA's who didn't make the PS last year. Remember PKSam?
Or Randall Gay who started the Super Bowl as a rookie UDFA. It happens. I don't see Woods being more than an end of the roster or PS guy but Mincey looked interesting to me last night.

I agree that UDFA's contribute to winning teams. That wasn't my point. In any case, if the linebackers continue to look about the same for a couple of more weeks, Vrabel will move inside and both Mincey and Woods will make the squad (losing Beisel and Alexander).

BelichickFan said:
Or Randall Gay who started the Super Bowl as a rookie UDFA. It happens. I don't see Woods being more than an end of the roster or PS guy but Mincey looked interesting to me last night.

mgteich said:
I agree that UDFA's contribute to winning teams. That wasn't my point.
What was your point ? I may have missed it.

mgteich said:
In any case, if the linebackers continue to look about the same for a couple of more weeks, Vrabel will move inside and both Mincey and Woods will make the squad (losing Beisel and Alexander).
Not sure I'd lock Gardner in over Beisel or Alexander just yet. Davis should make it due to versatility and ST and Izzo due to ST.

mgteich said:
Dante could keep a LT instead of Stevenson. I would note that Gorin has been the abckup LT for most of the past three years. The primary team that Britt makes is the "posters' team". He get rave revues only one place, here. Britt could certainly step and push his way on the 53. I just don't see it. Besides, we can put him on the PS.

Gorin has been "the backup LT for most of the past three years"? Wasn't the depth chart last year Light-Kaczur-Ashworth-Gorin? And the year before Light-Klemm-Ashworth-Gorin? Being the last one standing is admirable from a durability perspective, but I don't think Gorin has ever been, or will ever be, more than a last resort on the left side.

Granted, that doesn't mean that Wesley Britt is an NFL LT either. I'll admit that it's largely wishful thinking at this point, born of prayers that Gorin never see game time at LT. Get well soon, Nick.

I apologize for being unclear.

1) My position is that Woods and all of our rookie UDFA's are safe on the Practice Squad. UDFA's cut in the last week are rarely picked up for someone's else's 53 and Practice Squad rookie UDFA's are rarely picked up by other teams.

2) I agree that Davis and Izzo will make the team.

3) The reason I favor Gardner making the 53 is because of his ST play. However, I believe all three are on the bubble. Any of the three can easily make the squad if they show some life; the competition is slim indeed.

BelichickFan said:
What was your point ? I may have missed it.

Not sure I'd lock Gardner in over Beisel or Alexander just yet. Davis should make it due to versatility and ST and Izzo due to ST.

mgteich said:
1) My position is that Woods and all of our rookie UDFA's are safe on the Practice Squad. UDFA's cut in the last week are rarely picked up for someone's else's 53 and Practice Squad rookie UDFA's are rarely picked up by other teams.
That is true, I would be curious as to the stats on how often a released guy is picked up and whether teams whisper to the others that he's PS deignated with a gentleman's agreement not to claim him.

Yes, I suspect that there are gentlemen's agreements between teams. Also, sometimes there are agreements bewtween the player and the team. Sometimes the player is paid minimum salary as if he were on the team. After all, a player is not CLAIMED off the Practice Squad; he is made an offer, one which he is allowed to refuse. Claiming only takes place after the initial cut, when few teams have open roster spots that UDFA's with no experience can fill.

How would you feel about exposing Woods to waivers, signing him to the Practice Squad at the full minimum rookie salary. This tactic likely keeps the player, although technically he can still sign with another team.

BelichickFan said:
That is true, I would be curious as to the stats on how often a released guy is picked up and whether teams whisper to the others that he's PS deignated with a gentleman's agreement not to claim him.

mgteich said:
EVANS vs. SULLIVAN
I think that we need a 7th DL more than a fullback who can't block. I don't feel all that strong over Sullivan vs. Hill. I wouldn't mind a real fullback. If Evans plays well on special teams, he could of course stay.

To me, this is the 53rd player, and I really want to bolster our ST. Sullivan is a prospect for the interior line, but he needs a lot of work. Evans is ready to contribute, and it looks like he's playing the role of Matt Chatham this year. If that's the case, I think this is Seeley's choice.

mgteich said:
MINCEY vs. ALEXANDER
I like Alexander because he plays inside. I'd rather have a free agent.

Based solely on upside, Mincey seems like the smart choice. I'm telling you, Alexander is the current incarnation of Tuitele; great TC story who had no real future in the NFL.

mgteich said:
JONES vs. GAY
If Wilson moving inside is for real and Jones shows he really wants to play wherever he's needed, then, I'm fine with switch. Mentally, I've moved Andrews to replace Jones on the ST. There are many posters who would be shocked if Gay doesn't make the squad.

Have to admit, this is a close call. I'd say, whoever's healthy. If they're both ready to go, I take Tebucky because he's a difference maker on ST... and that's something we haven't had since 2001, before he left.

mgteich said:
GOSTOWSKI vs. GRAMATICA
I like the kid too. Why does that matter? Martin is a seasoned veteran playing very well.

Either way. This is a call for BB and co, but Gostkowski is my sentimental choice.

So, you're right. We're pretty much aligned afterall.

Last edited:
mgteich said:

MG -
Ashworth was the back-up LT the last 3 year, not Gorin. That is why Ashworth started there last year when Kaczur was out.

If Gorin is the back-up LT, the Pats better pray that Light stays healthy and that Kaczur gets healthy quickly. Or that Mankins can slide over to LT from LG. I say this becasue Gorin is such a lousy RT that he'll be even worse at LT.

OK, we all want Kaycur to get healthy soon. Would you put Britt on the 53?

DaBruinz said:
MG -
Ashworth was the back-up LT the last 3 year, not Gorin. That is why Ashworth started there last year when Kaczur was out.

If Gorin is the back-up LT, the Pats better pray that Light stays healthy and that Kaczur gets healthy quickly. Or that Mankins can slide over to LT from LG. I say this becasue Gorin is such a lousy RT that he'll be even worse at LT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes