PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After reading this, I am even MORE concerned about our OL

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you watch that game again??? I will never even watch a highlight of it.

To watch it I had to focus on things other than the game score. I spent a
good deal of time watching plays mostly. (slo-mo, re-wind, slo-mo). It's a
real eye-opener as to how badly the OL got tooled. One of the things that
I noticed that I hadn't before was how bad Kyle Brady was. For someone who
was brought in because of his blocking skills, he sure lost the recipe that night.
Nobody on that line looked good. The right side was a sieve and Strahan
wasn't even touched a lot of the time by the OL. AND that wasn't because
they were busy blocking other people. I plan on watching it a few more times
as there are specific things I want to focus on, especially that last NY drive.
(BTW, there are only two highlights for the Pats - ;), the rest are all with the Gints!)

Last edited:
The loss of Stephen Neal, reaaly hurt in the SB. As long as they are healthy, the line will be OK.

Imagine if we could have landed another Mankins with that stolen pick!

Koppen, Mankins, Neal, and Light are very solid. Kaczur was OK, O'Callahan is a decent back-up.

What the Pats could have really used was a stud Left Tackle, move Light to RT, and they would be in great shape.

The only folks who do not think that Light is one of the best LT's in the NFL are fans of the New England Patriots.

I agree that I would have liked to see us draft a RT or RG. Blame Goodell (lost pick) if you want. The fact is that Belichick made the decision to trade a 2008 pick into 2009. that pick could have been used for lineman if the team really wanted one. Alternatively, we could ahve use that pick and another to move up to pick an OL. Belichick decided against such an action.

The loss of Stephen Neal, reaaly hurt in the SB. As long as they are healthy, the line will be OK.

Imagine if we could have landed another Mankins with that stolen pick!

Koppen, Mankins, Neal, and Light are very solid. Kaczur was OK, O'Callahan is a decent back-up.

What the Pats could have really used was a stud Left Tackle, move Light to RT, and they would be in great shape.

To watch it I had to focus on things other than the game score. I spent a
good deal of time watching plays mostly. (slo-mo, re-wind, slo-mo). It's a
real eye-opener as to how badly the OL got tooled. One of the things that
I noticed that I hadn't before was how bad Kyle Brady was. For someone who
was brought in because of his blocking skills, he sure lost the recipe that night.
Nobody on that line looked good. The right side was a sieve and Strahan
wasn't even touched a lot of the time by the OL. AND that wasn't because
they were busy blocking other people. I plan on watching it a few more times
as there are specific things I want to focus on, especially that last NY drive.
(BTW, there are only two highlights for the Pats - ;), the rest are all with the Gints!)
To PatJew and Mistah Pissah, it ain't fun. I've had it on DVR since the Day and haven't looked at it until two days ago, when I watched the first half.

TBP, I thought the left side of the line got beaten pretty badly too. Now, I've only seen up to Neal going out, so I haven't seen that much of the offense, since the entire first quarter was the Giant's offense, featuring Randall Gay And His Concrete Sneakers. He almost single-handedly took the Giants downfield.

On the OLine, I did see plays, which I think Unoriginal explored in painful detail when our ears were still ringing, where 4 rushed and 2 would get through. Amazing. They were beating Light and, yes, Mankins. On at least one occasion, Mankins got fooled by something, a stunt, a fake, and got jocked while Justin Tuck plowed through Brady. On that play, Mankins didn't even touch anyone.

It wasn't pretty, but at least in those few plays, it didn't look like a talent mismatch. It really did look like Sparano had McDaniels number (or their DLine coach owned Scarnecchia). There is a substrategy of line play that I don't pretend to understand, but it wasn't just speed, it was defensive playmaking and guile as well.

I'm not going to watch the second half. I like to enjoy football and this wasn't any fun.

Edit: based on what I saw, I'm going to guess how the Giants beat the Patriots. They studied film and saw something, tendencies among the individual lineman they could exploit. They had a good plan and they executed like the ****ens. You could almost see it, they way they were faking out the linemen. That may be why the Pats more concerned about building depth that upgrading the starting talent. (Of course I would welcome them to prove me wrong by trading for a top guard or tackle).

Last edited:
To PatJew and Mistah Pissah, it ain't fun. I've had it on DVR since the Day and haven't looked at it until two days ago, when I watched the first half.

TBP, I thought the left side of the line got beaten pretty badly too. Now, I've only seen up to Neal going out, so I haven't seen that much of the offense, since the entire first quarter was the Giant's offense, featuring Randall Gay And His Concrete Sneakers. He almost single-handedly took the Giants downfield.

On the OLine, I did see plays, which I think Unoriginal explored in painful detail when our ears were still ringing, where 4 rushed and 2 would get through. Amazing. They were beating Light and, yes, Mankins. On at least one occasion, Mankins got fooled by something, a stunt, a fake, and got jocked while Justin Tuck plowed through Brady. On that play, Mankins didn't even touch anyone.

It wasn't pretty, but at least in those few plays, it didn't look like a talent mismatch. It really did look like Sparano had McDaniels number (or their DLine coach owned Scarnecchia). There is a substrategy of line play that I don't pretend to understand, but it wasn't just speed, it was defensive playmaking and guile as well.

I'm not going to watch the second half. I like to enjoy football and this wasn't any fun.

Edit: based on what I saw, I'm going to guess how the Giants beat the Patriots. They studied film and saw something, tendencies among the individual lineman they could exploit. They had a good plan and they executed like the ****ens. You could almost see it, they way they were faking out the linemen. That may be why the Pats more concerned about building depth that upgrading the starting talent. (Of course I would welcome them to prove me wrong by trading for a top guard or tackle).

Thanks man, better you than me. There is no way in hell that I would be able to watch that game again. Your point about why the Pats are more concerned about depth than upgrading is a good one. I also think that's why the Pats have focused on running the ball so much during training camp.
The pats will RUN THAT FOOTBALL more this year. We scored a lot of points, but I've always felt that our running game was lacking last year. Maroney, Morris, Faulk, and maybe Jordan might be on this team when the season starts. WE WILL RUN FIRST AND PASS SECOND THIS SEASON, IMO.
Hopefully, McDaniels will figure out how to use the running backs effectively. :rolleyes:
I never thought that I would long for Charlie Weiss, but after that game that shall not be named, I prayed for him to return.

Thanks man, better you than me. There is no way in hell that I would be able to watch that game again. Your point about why the Pats are more concerned about depth than upgrading is a good one. I also think that's why the Pats have focused on running the ball so much during training camp.
The pats will RUN THAT FOOTBALL more this year. We scored a lot of points, but I've always felt that our running game was lacking last year. Maroney, Morris, Faulk, and maybe Jordan might be on this team when the season starts. WE WILL RUN FIRST AND PASS SECOND THIS SEASON, IMO.
Hopefully, McDaniels will figure out how to use the running backs effectively. :rolleyes:
I never thought that I would long for Charlie Weiss, but after that game that shall not be named, I prayed for him to return.

1.) The Patriots did use their running backs effectively. The problem wasn't so much effective use as it was inconsistency with the zone blocking. That's my guess as to why the team is working on the run a lot this offseason. It's not as if we aren't hearing about Moss catching balls in practice, after all.

2.) If this team becomes a run first/pass second team, McDaniels will be fired.

Last edited:
To those knowledgable fans who can interpret the films: is it possible for track down the Raven's and the Brown's game of last season and see if our OL exhibited some tendencies/traits that were shrewedly picked up by the Giants?

I ask that because our offense wasn't doing that great against the Ravens, and the Browns game was specifically mentioned by the Giants as one that they studied closely because the Browns were able to get to Brady.

Thanks,

Last edited:
To those knowledgable fans who can interpret the films: is it possible for track down the Raven's and the Brown's game of last season and see if our OL exhibited some tendencies/traits that were shrewedly picked up by the Giants?

I ask that because our offense wasn't doing that great against the Ravens, and the Browns game was specifically mentioned by the Giants as one that they studied closely because the Browns were able to get to Brady.

Thanks,
I'm going to take back a little of what I said earlier. I just glanced over Unoriginal's excellent breakdown and his point is that on many plays the linemen were simply beaten straight up. Having watched the tape and re-read the breakdown, honestly this is for more knowledgeable people than me to say.

Hmmmmmmmmm

I give you credit for all of that, but still I could not have done it. It's just not worth the hurt to me. I'm not saying the season was worthless and I'll happily watch highlights from 17 other games, but I don't want to see anything that features the Pats and Giants again (including the regular season game 16, b/c it reminds me too much of the SB).

I didnt see the game last night .. what was the starting OL and did any look half decent?

I didn't see most of the first quarter - when Cassel went 1 for 4 with a pick - but I did see all of when Gutierrez was in there and the line looked practically non-existent. Every time he dropped back to pass there were one or two Ravens sprinting into our backfield as quick as he could drop back. Same thing on running plays.

I think it was Kascur - Mankins - Koppen - XXX - Britt at that point - I don't know who XXX was. I was watching on the Internet and the picture was tough to see.

I didn't see most of the first quarter - when Cassel went 1 for 4 with a pick - but I did see all of when Gutierrez was in there and the line looked practically non-existent. Every time he dropped back to pass there were one or two Ravens sprinting into our backfield as quick as he could drop back. Same thing on running plays.

I think it was Kascur - Mankins - Koppen - XXX - Britt at that point - I don't know who XXX was. I was watching on the Internet and the picture was tough to see.

The line was horrible last night, i blame more of the qb problems for having about 2 seconds to decide were to go before having their heads ripped off by the raven d.

Kaczur played quite well at LT but in pass protection they really need Neal at Guard.

I'm sure someone has pointed this out in these 5 pages, but we do seem to come down with a significant number of ailments of all sorts, and miraculously turn up a healthy guy when needed.

Something in the water up there ;)

So, like many here, I will get worried when the UFAs show up in game 1 regular season.

The ever optimistic

PFnV

Burpin rainbows and crappin cupcakes

PFnV

Burpin rainbows and crappin cupcakes
AP (Sacramento) The California Dept. of Health has issued a safety recall on all cupcakes, with the exception of those bought inside the Oakland Coliseum during Raiders games. Cupcakes purchased during Raiders games are not meant to be consumed, but are only to be used to thank the team for their fine performance.

Last edited:
AP (Sacramento) The California Dept. of Health has issued a safety recall on all cupcakes, with the exception of those bought inside the Oakland Coliseum during Raiders games. Cupcakes purchased during Raiders games are not meant to be consumed, but are only to be used to thank the team for their fine performance.
Holy cupcake crap, that is funny!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back