PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After free-agency splurge, Browns now contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice additions, but that is a tough division to make a significant gain in..

Whos going to QB for them? Pretenders is more like it.

GJAJ15 said:
Nice additions, but that is a tough division to make a significant gain in..

Bentley - will get pushed around by Hampton just like Faine did.

Willie McGinest - will run wild :D

Joe.J - good addition but they need more speed beside Braylon Edwards IMO

but there still a long way behind the Steelers and Bengals...JMO

A lot of money spent, not a lot of on field improvements, IMO, other than Bentley.

PATSNUTme said:
You should have warned us that there was a photo of Willie holding up that f-ing Browns jersey of his.:(

Look on the bright side - maybe they'll make that the Sports Illustrated Cover

PFnV

BelichickFan said:
A lot of money spent, not a lot of on field improvements, IMO, other than Bentley.

sadly i think that Willie McGinest is a bit past it???

or has he still got a bit left in the tank???

Brady#12 said:
sadly i think that Willie McGinest is a bit past it???

or has he still got a bit left in the tank???
I imagine Willie will help them soon but Ted Washington at age 38 has to be slowing down, Jurivicious isn't really an upgrade over Bryant and Kevin Shaeffer at $5M or so a year, well, that's a lot of money for a LT "with potential".

They'll be somewhat better but I don't think they'll get what they paid for.

Bentley is the only signing that really worht his pay check IMO

They made some nice additions and will cause problems for Pitt and Ciny which is good for all of us. After that maybe a 9-7 team.

hard to call an active FA signing team contenders..look at Raiders. got Moss + Jordan..offense didnt come out near as good as people hoped

Ravens. Got Derrick Mason to solve WR spot. Got Samari Rolle to add to already Pro Bowl set of DBs with Reed and McAllister

I think they will be good..but im just letting you know it can be a fake

Contenders, eh? This dude focused so much on the additions he neglected to examine exactly what they were added to, and it it ain't much. With RAC using smoke and mirrors, the Browns had a middle of the pack defense while playing a medium strength schedule last year, so maybe Willie and Fat Ted help a little. the only playoff team they beat was Chicago early in the season.

What this guy didn't notice was that the Browns were dead last in scoring last year; as well as being 3rd from last in 1st downs/game, 7th from last in yards/game, converted only 33% of their 3rd downs and were minus 7 in turnovers. yep, sounds like a powerhouse ready to explode.....

Last edited:
McGinest and Washington may be a one-yr shot in the arm, but may be enough to jump-start RAC's 3-4, which he had to abandon last yr. With their help, he should be able to coach 'em up. 2007 draft he'll be looking for their replacements,IMO. Winslow and Edwards should help their 3rd down stats, 8-8 finish due to the strength of their division.

jczxohn1 said:
McGinest and Washington may be a one-yr shot in the arm, but may be enough to jump-start RAC's 3-4, which he had to abandon last yr. With their help, he should be able to coach 'em up. 2007 draft he'll be looking for their replacements,IMO. Winslow and Edwards should help their 3rd down stats, 8-8 finish due to the strength of their division.

I agree. Willie and Washington are likely stopgap veteran solutions to take some of the pressure off of a young, developing offsense that includes Winslow, Edwards, and Reuben Droughns. Their prowess (and health!) will have a lot more impact on the Brown's playoff chances than RAC's defense.

What's the first name of the guy who wrote this article again????

Hmmmm...

OK.

BelichickFan said:

I agree - guys like Ted Washington might be big names, but I'm not expecting major on field contributions - at least not for the duration of the contract.

Just look at all the big names Buffalo has added over the years. How's that working out for them?

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
I agree - guys like Ted Washington might be big names, but I'm not expecting major on field contributions - at least not for the duration of the contract.

Just look at all the big names Buffalo has added over the years. How's that working out for them?
They are set to corner the bison burger market, ol' ralphie is pretty sly finding ways to limit his pension outlays.

big spenders might be a flash in the pan!

here's why i think this....

Joe.J - good WR more of a 3 WR but can play #2 but that pushing it a bit IMO
not much speed as well as getting on a bit he's 31 i think?
they should of kept A.Bryant younger WR with more potential.

Wille McGinest - is/was a great player :confused: (what do you guys think?) has got his superbowl rings and has moved on for the big money aswell as being the big fish in a small pond in Clevland.

K.Shaffer - did alright last season with Vick but Frye is a differn't QB to Vick (obviously) but your QB live and dies by the LT and h's got lots of potential but can he produce?

I don't think so they also overpayed him so much!

Bentely - just a good solid signing best one by far IMO.

Brady#12 said:
big spenders might be a flash in the pan!

here's why i think this....
I agree with what you said and you forgot about the $2-3M a year they gave Ted Washington. It's funny how the media says "you can't buy a Super Bowl" and then fawns over teams that try to do it. Regarding Bentley, he was a good guy to get but they paid $5-6M a year, a tremendous price for a Center, albeit a very good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots