PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 5 years, the secondary is fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
2005-2009 has shown mediocrity at the secondary. Numerous times we have sworn at the T.V of our unit getting burned throughout the years. In 2010, I can finally say we have a very solid young secondary with great potential.

2005: "This rookie Hobbs has no clue what he is doing! Duane Starks is a Joke!"
2006: "Why does Ellis get burned so often, he is so frustrating!" "Samuel is the only one out there who knows how to play!"
2007: Secondary was not very good but got overshadowed by the greatest offense of all time.
2008: "Deltha O'neil, are you serious Bill!" "There goes Malcolm Floyd leaping over midget Hobbs." "Hobbs is our #1 CB, this secondary is a joke". "We've resorted to starting a 4th round rookie in Wilhite, this should be good"
2009:The repair begins. Except for "Look, Wilhite got burned behind the WR without looking!"

2010: CBs: Bodden, Butler, Mccourty. Ss:Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Mcgowan.

Good job Bill. Now get a pass rusher or two today. :)

Re: After 5 years, the secondary is fixed.

I was happy with the secondary after the Bodden re-sign and still not excited with this pick... but many many picks left so I think I'll calm down and wait it out. Hopefully this is the end of Wheatley, no point in carrying 6 CB's. But I'd say this is top to bottom the best secondary we've had under BB.

Think it's about time we focus on that front 7..... it has to be right

Last edited:

I'd prefer to say bye to Wilhite.

That's what I ment. He will probably never see the field unless teams go 4 or 5 wide. :)

Springs is FAR more likely to say bye bye than Wilhite..I say Springs is cut before the temps get hot outside

Bodden, Butler, McCourty, Wilhite, (Wheatley or Springs)

That's five.

And yes, we need five. In every game, we need a nickel and a dime back. That's four. And we do need a 5th in case of injury to one of the four.

====================

We have Arrington. But he is in competition for special teams roster spot.
===========

And WIlhite is going nowhere. He is a dime back quality corner that we have used as a starter. He is fine as a #4 corner and a special teamer.

Last edited:

Bodden, Butler, McCourty, Wilhite, (Wheatley or Springs)

That's five.

And yes, we need five. In every game, we need a nickel and a dime back. That's four. And we do need a 5th in case of injury to one of the four.

====================

We have Arrington. But he is in competition for special teams roster spot.
===========

And WIlhite is going nowhere. He is a dime back quality corner that we have used as a starter. He is fine as a #4 corner and a special teamer.

I agree I was just listing the guys who are of starting quality. It's rare for a team to have 3 starting quality CBs and 4 starting quality Safeties.

2009:The repair begins. Except for "Look, Wilhite got burned behind the WR without looking!"

im one of the few who is holding out hope for this guy, looking for the ball can be fixed it just takes working on, and when he did try to defend the ball he seemed like he was always just out of reach, if he was an inch taller or a step quicker he could have made the play.

Wilhite's going to be on this team barring a Big Ben-like offseason

Springs will be the one to go, assuming nobody gets hurt in the meantime.

As far as Wheatley and Wilhite: people, you forget how unhappy we all were with Assante for a good 3 years after he was drafted - he'd show some flashes then regress. These 2 guys are keepers without question.

IF you assume that either Butler or McCourty is a legit starter and the other one a legit nickel.

AND

IF you assume that either Chung becomes a legit starter or McGowan improved significantly.

THEN you've fixed the secondary.

IF NOT

then you still have a bunch of young guys who can't quite cover and a starting safety who has 1 Int, 0 FF, 0 sacks, and just 6 PDs over the past 2 years combined.

I don't have a problem with the pick but I'm nowhere near ready to say that the secondary issues are solved.

If you take the view that there a now really 5 full-time DB spots in the modern NFL (3 CBs and 2 S) I think the Pats still have either unproven guys (Butler, Mccourty, Chung) or guys who have proven not to be the answer (Wheatley, Wilhite, Mcgowan, Sanders) manning 3 of the 5 spots as of this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back