PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 5 games the Saints eerily near deadlocked with 2007 Patriots stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I just looked into the Saints team this year and for those who think the Patriots record of 16-0 will stand for awhile better take notice of these comparable stats for the first 5 weeks of play and see that New Orleans has come out of the gate just like NE did back then .....

New England Patriots of 2007

Average 36.8 Points Per Game
17.1 Points Per Game Allowed
6.2 Yards Per Play

New Orleans Saints of 2009 thru 5 weeks

Average 36.0 Points Per Game
16.1 Points Per Game Allowed
6.2 Yards Per Play

While there is still a lot of football left with 11 long games to go and the Saints have a lot to prove to make New England's record season in jeopardy,still the similarities in these stats between the two teams are amazingly close.

I think the Giants game will be an indication looking into the 2nd half of the season if the Saints are truly for real and are to come anywhere near what the Pats did - The Giants are going to be a test.

Last edited:
The Saints offense has cooled off since an explosive first couple weeks - whereas the Pats offense didn't peak until the middle of the season, when we had that average up above 40 points a game. Then ultimately weather & brutal opponents took our average down below the 40 point mark.

The Saints offense has cooled off since an explosive first couple weeks - whereas the Pats offense didn't peak until the middle of the season, when we had that average up above 40 points a game. Then ultimately weather & brutal opponents took our average down below the 40 point mark.

As a dome team playing in a southern division they have an unmistakable advantage. They have a chance.

With the Saints I expect weather to not be factor since I believe most of thier games are going to be playing in the southern parts whereas NE had all eastern games in the last 1/4 of 2007

The Saints would be well below 36/game if not for their defense doing a number on the Dirty Sanchez. Brees has also cooled off after this first two weeks as well. When the season ends, they'll probably still be the #1 offense in the league, but they won't come close to the 2007 Patriots marks.

If any team this year deserves a shot at 16-0 it should be the Saints,I love the way Brees runs his offense and HC Sean Payton is a cool guy with the players.

But I much prefer tham to go 15-1,not only to keep our 16-0 record but to be the only team to beat them this season would be awesome!

Last edited:
The Saints would be well below 36/game if not for their defense doing a number on the Dirty Sanchez. Brees has also cooled off after this first two weeks as well. When the season ends, they'll probably still be the #1 offense in the league, but they won't come close to the 2007 Patriots marks.

Its definately a long road for them to overcome but the scary part of this Saints offense is not only do they have an Elite Quarterback and the #1 passing offense but they are #2 in rushing as well...Even the 2007 Pats had rushing stats nowhere up that high.

I am sure the Saints will go through a slow period where things are not clicking on all cylinders,time will tell when that happens,I do think they take the Giants to the woodshed this week and win by 10-14 points

The Saints are rushing 160+ yards per game, they don't need to pass like the Pats did. More rushing plays means a shorter game and less points

The Saints have actually only played 4 games so far, last week they had a bye.

And I think the reason they're putting up these scoring stats is their defense has, in a quarter of a season, gotten 10 interceptions, over half of what the Pats defense forced in all of 2007. That's not just taking advantage of Sanchez, that's a man-to-man gambling defense coming up big game in and game out.

They're setting up their offense for a lot of easy points.

I'm not jumping on this train just yet. Brees, without a doubt one of the premier QB's in the league today, put up three stinkers for losses in the second half of the season last year vs. the Falcons and TB (three INT's in each game) and the Bears (2 INT's and 24/43). So, let's see how this plays out.

It's a long season. The Jets have already won the Super Bowl, sent their QB and HC to the HOF and been written out of the Playoffs by some observers, all in just five weeks!

Last edited:
Its definately a long road for them to overcome but the scary part of this Saints offense is not only do they have an Elite Quarterback and the #1 passing offense but they are #2 in rushing as well...Even the 2007 Pats had rushing stats nowhere up that high.

I am sure the Saints will go through a slow period where things are not clicking on all cylinders,time will tell when that happens,I do think they take the Giants to the woodshed this week and win by 10-14 points

No way. If anybody is goingto win by 10-14 points, it's the Giants. That defense is going to be in Brees' face all day long. I don't think that either of them will win by 10-14 though. If I had to call it, I'd say Giants by 5.

No way. If anybody is goingto win by 10-14 points, it's the Giants. That defense is going to be in Brees' face all day long. I don't think that either of them will win by 10-14 though. If I had to call it, I'd say Giants by 5.

I think the Saints D is just as capable of getting on Eli, though. And with his heel injury, it could go south for the Giants really quick.

As for the 16-0 talk, I would love to see another team do it. It was very exciting for the fans of that team and it drew in lots of people who normally wouldn't care about football at all. And then at that point it would depend on the team about how I would feel about the playoffs. Saints, I would cheer to finish it out. Giants or Colts I would LOVE to watch crash and burn before the Super Bowl...petty, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes