Welcome to PatsFans.com

After 3,700 Dead American troops and $500 Billion, Al Queda is stronger than ever

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Jul 17, 2007.

1. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

WASHINGTON - Al-Qaida is using its growing strength in Pakistan and Iraq to plot attacks on U.S. soil, heightening the terror threat facing the United States over the next few years, intelligence agencies concluded in a report unveiled Tuesday.

At the same time, the intelligence analysts worry that international cooperation against terrorism will be hard to sustain as memories of Sept. 11 fade and nations’ views diverge on what the real threat is.​

great news, isn't it? ...

imagine if Union troops just mingled around the border states to stablize Pennsylvania and never ventured into the south?...

hey, is anyone really surprised that Boy King is a direct descendant of the other worst president of all time, Franklin Pierce?
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 10 / -26

This is what happens when like minded people make all the decisions and do not allow discourse or input from others.. this is the worse type of decision making. This adm has gotten too centralized, but otoh they will bear the burden of responsibility when the history books are written.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +450 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'll ask again, how far are you willing to go to "get" Al Qaeda amongst all the tribal defenders they are around ? I don't disagree about the desired result but everyone thinks we can visit the City of Al Quaeda and arrest them all.
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

no... i don't think anyone is saying that at all... but i'll tell you, if we lost 3,651 soldiers in Pakistan/Afghanistan instead of Iraq, and destroyed AQ in the process for the whole world to behold, the president would have remained near his post-9/11 approval numbers and we'd be a much prouder, unified country right now...
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +450 / 6 / -2

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +450 / 6 / -2

You cannot go into Pakistan. If you did, you could add a zero to the number you provided, and multiply it by a couple. Just look at what has gone on recently there, with Pakistani troops. How ignorant some people are toward reality is apalling. That anyone with half an understanding of that part of the world could write about it in a paper is disturbing. Pakistan is a very fragile place. Mushareff back tracked because he was fearful of being toppled in a coup, which would have put not only that region, but all of the world in danger. Now he's ramping up his efforts again, and it's getting very hairy. Just yesterday 14 of that countries soldiers were killed. People need to stop and learn a little more about Pakistan, and what the limitations are. As for Afghanistan, I'd have stayed there, and not gone to Iraq. That is entirely a justified, and valid criticism on all counts. Would it have been enough? No. Would it have been better than the current situation? Absolutely.
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

so your death estimate for bombing/neutralizing the badlands region in the southwest of Pakistan would be some 72.000 U.S. troops?
  9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +450 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Depends how it's done. If it's just fighting it would be in the tens of thousands IMO. If we were willing to withdraw then drop some monster bombs, probably a couple of nukes, then no. But you wouldn't be willing to do that.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

this is the horrible truth ....

Our adnministration isn't on the side of the american people.
  11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah yes, the American liberal... who's hatred of Bush is so great, they actually gloat when al Qaeda succeeds. I bet you just can't wait to see another couple thousand Americans murdered huh..? You must have celebrated like heck on 9/11/01.

You think the terrorists will give a free pass to good, left-leaning liberals like yourself but no, my ignorant friend, they are just as eager to kill you as they are to kill me.
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, the "horrible truth" is that the American liberal is on the side of al Qaeda. You hate Bush so much you would rather see his policies and the War on Terror fail instead of succeed.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

frickin HORRIBLE, dude.....

this is not a partisan issue, check yourself. This is an issue about going after the people who this administration itself said suckerpunched us on 9-11. They let the CIA trap them in afghanistan. Then f-ed up BIG time when they let cheney, and rummy go ape $h!t into Iraq, based on faulty intel and out right lies.

This has NOTHING to do with a liberal or a conservative, you cloud the arguement each time and ramp it back to the same old talking point. Its tired.
    It makes no sense that anyone posting on this board "can't wait to see another couple thousand Americans murdered" ... posting words and thoughts like that in the mouths of other posts is irresponsible.
  14. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

That is like saying, that when America withdraws and there is limited bloodshed and no further attacks on American soil you will feel depressed and outraged that you have no where to go to vent your hatred.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Honestly dude...go fukc yourself. Shame on you for saying that because I don't believe in a failed policy based on lies and oil proficts....that I want our beloved troops to die, or that I am on the side of the enemy.

Yet you sit there at your computer, backing a policy that has gotten 3,700+ of the people you want to protect and honor KILLED. It has let the 'terrorists' grow in numbers, and it has swept away any support that we had post 9-11.

YOU are the non-patriot. YOU are the hater. YOU are the one who seems to back a philosophy that supports the enemy.

its UNREAL that you have the view you have and blame....liberals....look in the mirror.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and yet another rational poster here exposes the biggest instigator on the forum: Our good friend, Transfat...
  17. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +174 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

We should stayed in Afganistan?????????? We are in Afganistan, along with troops from NATO(I thought that's what people wanted). We, the US military, are still killing Taliban and Al Quida in Afganistan.

If we would have kept troops in Afganistan in large numbers, the Afgan people would view us as occupiers, and turn on us.

Pakistan???? That's all we need is to go into Pakistan. They have nukes and the extreme radical islamist would love to get their hands on them. Then India would do a first strike. Maybe Isreal would do a premptive strike against Iran and Pakistan.

I guess there is a large percentage of people who have yet to realize how dangerous this radical extremist islamist movement has become.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/18/alqaeda.pakistan/index.html

(CNN) -- U.S. forces should go into Pakistan to rout al Qaeda from the safe haven it has found in the mountains on the border with Afghanistan, a co-chairman of the Iraq Study Group said.

Former Rep. Lee Hamilton, who also served as the vice chairman of the 9/11 commission, says the Iraq war distracted the United States when it had al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden on the run in the tribal region between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

He says it's now time to finish the job.

"This has to be carefully calibrated, worked out with the Pakistanis, but I am very concerned that you have a safe haven in Pakistan today where they (al Qaeda) can regroup, rethink, and get ready for more attacks," Hamilton said on CNN's "Newsroom" on Wednesday.
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and the sky is falling...

my god, is there any scenario whereby the 26% don't predict doom and catastrophie if our leaders actually did their best to corral the real attackers?

you guys have been wrong at nearly every turn since 2003 concerning the war on terror... why do you expect anyone to keep believing your predictions today?
  20. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bullsh*t... can you even hear yourself..? "I am not being partisan..!! I just hate that mean old Dick Cheney and Rumsfeld and Bush..!!" Gee, glad your not being partisan or anything.... :rolleyes:
    Wait a sec... if this isn't a "partisan issue" then how can I ramp it back to the same old talking point..?
    Sorry, but I just calls 'em as I sees 'em... The person that gloats with the killing of American soldiers will be just as eager to gloat at the killing of American civilians.