Welcome to PatsFans.com

After 2 poor preseason games has your outlook on the 2008 Patriots changed?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Aug 18, 2008.

?

Has the past 2 games changed your outlook on this years team?

1. Yes,Those 2 games have me more worried than ever and I don't know if they will be as good

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. No - The preseason is worthless indication of what will transpire -We are #1 still no worry

61 vote(s)
    62.9%
  3. I have mixed emotions and some concerns over certain areas that could kill this team

22 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. I am about right down the middle on this between worried and not worried - No comment

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I look at preseason as just a dumping ground for guys that do not belong in professional ball and those losses to me are not a big deal nor are they going to affect the season unless Bradys foot is a problem,Then the team is simply screwed.

As for the poll - IYO do you think the future in 2008 has changed for what you have seen so far or are you taking the poor play in these 2 games as very worthless indication of what the team will look like in 3 weeks.

2. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,417 / 186 / -130

Disable Jersey

Yes, my outlook has changed. I now think that the Patriots are in contention for worst fan base in the NFL.

3. MrTibbs

MrTibbs Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No it hasn't changed. They are still a 12-13 win team in my book. As long as Brady and Belichick are there they will be ok.

Patriots are similar to the Colts in preseason. You watch the Colts and they look like complete dog doodie in the preseason and then they go on to win 12, 13 plus games easily.

I'd only worry if Cassel is still on the roster come week one, lol.

4. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Who would you consider our rivals? I thought we had that locked up.

5. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -1

I know, I come here and think I'm on a Yankee forum. WTF

6. PATRIOTSFANINPA

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

You know Deus while I see what you say and want all rah-rahs and no negativity,you also can't be a blind homer and think THERE IS NOTHING WRONG with this team from anything seen so far - even if it was preseason.

To think this team is 100% perfect will put you in a pathetic homer catagory which is worse than anyone who sees something wrong and wonders if it can be fixed.

Expect people not to toally drink the kool-aid - Theres nothing wrong discussing weaknesses that appear to be possible trouble like the corner position and backup QB for instance.

Ellis Hobbs is not going to change into Champ Bailey overnight and Cassel is not exactly Steve Young as a backup QB so why not discuss possible problems? - Its what discussion is for in this forum - If we were all rah-rah kool-aid people who say the team is perfect,this forum would be boring and suck

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  7. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +3,417 / 186 / -130

Disable Jersey

Well, the Jets have the stupidest fan base, and I've always given them "worst" as well, just by default. This year, though, the Patriots fan base are kicking ass in the race to the absolute bottom of the barrel.

8. PATRIOTSFANINPA

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Why is that Deus,Because some here actually think Cassel blows donkey dick? - Well he does

9. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +3,417 / 186 / -130

Disable Jersey

Realizing that this is just week 2 of the exhibition season is not the same as thinking the team is 100% perfect. Not realizing it, however, seems to be the same as acting like a complete idiot, as evidenced by many of the posts we've seen here recently. Perhaps hearkening all the way back to last season's 0-2 start in the preseason is just too much for some people.

Kindly name one weakness you can definitively say you've seen at the cornerback position. Tell me the coverages involved, the actual failure of the player and how the weakness you saw was

a) a weakness of personnel and not scheme
    b) something that can't be fixed with practice
    c) something that can't be compensated for by the coaches

Ellis Hobbs was the team's best defensive back last season, when the team went 18-0 prior to the Super Bowl loss. He is the only defensive back on the entire team for whom there should be no questions other than health. Tossing out the Champ Bailey reference is just silly, since Bailey is generally considered to be the best corner in the league, and Samuel was no Champ Bailey either. For that matter, neither was Ty Law and neither was Tyrone Poole. Somehow the team got to the Super Bowl with such CBs.

10. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +3,417 / 186 / -130

Disable Jersey

Thanks for illustrating my point.

11. Angry Man

Angry Man REV-OH-LU-TION PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -4

#54 Jersey

My overall outlook as not changed as I know our Pats will in the end will overcome the odds. Its just a matter of learning of what to do better, adjustments of strategies, changes of people who might do things better, and most importantly.... CONFIDENCE in the ability to win!

12. PATS68

PATS68 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +32 / 6 / -1

#87 Jersey

I remember a couple of years ago when the Pats played the Bengals in preseason it was like basketball on grass. Bengals went up and down the field on the Pats D. BB was so pissed he played the starters the whole game. Pats played them in the regular season and beat them pretty good.

13. PATRIOTSFANINPA

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I saw alot of wide open Bucs receivers many of whom are not exactly HOF material but it was preseason and I guess you could say give it a pass but the corners were beaten last night and badly and not all the guys who got burnt were 3rd or 4th stringers -

Can it be fixed? - not just by the coaches but more by the talent of the players they are coaching to get it right

You can be the best coach in the world but that does not necessarily lead to a great player - either they have IT or they don't,you just hope the coaching works to the strength of the player.

And you really have to let the past go in terms of how good a player is or was - If you go by that theory then every player who has a good year will have a good year every year in thier career - does not happen and many do struggle in and out year after year from good to mediocre.

I am not spoiled to the fact that this team has won 3 super bowls and I realize that we are fortunate than most fans to have the success this decade, but the team has not won one in 3 years so you can expect some differences in opinions on the direction of the team and where its going.

14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +710 / 20 / -30

My problem this year is that I am still reeling from the events on Feb. 4... having a difficult time regaining focus and this season as well.. in a couple of weeks I anticipate it will change.. but did not even have the energy to get up to training camp.

15. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,949 / 14 / -22

#61 Jersey

OK, look: the team has not performed well so far in the preseason in terms of both effort and execution. I see that alone as cause for mild concern, especially in areas that we know are unsettled (cornerback, offensive line). HOWEVER, I will not be SERIOUSLY concerned until this manifests in the first game vs. Kansas City or some of the key walking wounded (Light, Neal, Hochstein, Rodney, Meriweather, etc.) do not return to the opening-day active roster. A solid first half against the Eagles and all this hand-wringing goes away. The Giants game will show us nothing. The PUP list/injury report means much, much more than preseason performance -- that's where my attention will be.

16. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +3,417 / 186 / -130

Disable Jersey

In other words, you can't come up with a single instance that you can actually break down as I asked, and are just insistent on being a part of the fellowship of the miserable.

17. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +34 / 3 / -2

#80 Jersey

gee... i wonder which option is gonna dominate this poll? lol

18. ALP

ALP Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +87 / 3 / -0

oww, i would really have to look hard to find a more stupid question

(no offense to the OP, i understand where the question is coming from....but the above statement applies none the less)

19. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

20. tombonneau

tombonneau In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

There was one thing and now there are two things that concern me about this team:

1. Health of Matt Light
    2. Health of Brandon Meriweather

That's it. Nothing else is or should be of concern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.