AFL-CIO files amicus brief in support of Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

XLIX

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
AFL-CIO files amicus brief for Brady

... and no I don't mean the American Football League. This is real world professional labor. This is the American Federation of Labor.

**** just got real. This ain't just about footballs no mo'.

Developing Story.....

AFL-CIO has filed an amicus brief supporting Tom Brady

Just saw something on Twitter, the AFL-CIO has filed an amicus brief supporting Brady as well. I believe they are the biggest union in the country. This is pretty big I believe.

Truth, Justice, and the American Way, don'tcha know.
The American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations is an expression of the hopes and aspirations of the working people of America.

We resolve to fulfill the yearning of the human spirit for liberty, justice and community; to advance individual and associational freedom; to vanquish oppression, privation and cruelty in all their forms; and to join with all persons, of whatever nationality or faith, who cherish the cause of democracy and the call of solidarity, to grace the planet with these achievements.

We dedicate ourselves to improving the lives of working families, bringing fairness and dignity to the workplace and securing social equity in the Nation.
Our Mission and Vision

Cannot find the brief yet, but trailer looks promising:

Any links?. I can't find anything

Quote from the brief (as per Daniel Wallach):

"The AFL-CIO has extensive experience with the operation of arbitration procedures in the disciplinary setting and a significant interest in the application of the proper standard for judicial review of decisions rendered pursuant to arbitration procedures."

Fact is that this ruling is a big one by CA2, and deserves to be heard by the whole group. It will impact countless of arbitration cases. It deserves a better lawyer than Kessler to argue it (nothing personal against Kessler, he just isn't the best federal appeal court lawyer).

I am at the point where I honestly believe Brady gains en banc. Let's call it "more likely than not" - but not Ted Wells' definition of "more likely than not." ;)

EDIT: As per Wallach, they also talk about how being "highly deferential" to arbitrators applies to NEUTRAL arbitrators.

Cjz-wDCUUAAd4I8.jpg:large

Mack Herron above gave us a link:
http://thesportsesquires.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/aflcio-brief.pdf

To the layperson, this seems like a big deal to have the biggest union providing a brief. This has to get the court's attention, no?

Thoughts:

- They write a lot of what we have been saying for weeks/months, but coming from the AFL-CIO is a big deal.

- The arbitration ruling should be vacated because Goodell "failed to follow basic procedural fairness and acted arbitrarily as an employer seeking to justify his own disciplinary decision rather than as a neutral arbitrator considering an appeal ... Regardless of who hears appeals, labor arbitration always must be fundamentally fair. The Supreme Court has made clear that 'elementary requirements of impartiality taken for granted in every judicial proceeding' are not 'suspended when the parties agree to resolve a dispute through arbitration.' "

- Key statement: "Even a cursory review of the Commissioner’s decision makes clear that he acted in the self-serving role of an employer justifying his own disciplinary decision rather than as a neutral arbitrator considering an appeal."

- They also mention how Goodell as arbitrator cannot "add reasons" to his arbitration decision.
Other reasons can’t be added later when the case reaches arbitration merely in an attempt to strengthen the employer[’]s defense." Goodell made "a change that was material."

To the layperson, this seems like a big deal to have the biggest union providing a brief. This has to get the court's attention, no?
IMHO, yes, it emphasis the significance of the ruling, which is one of the criteria in deciding to accept en banc reviews. Olson has to convince the court that this is about far more than football PSI.

Another big entry in the "Briefs for Brady" parade:

MORE BREAKING: Kenneth Feinberg files #amicus brief with 2nd Circ. in support of Tom Brady and NFLPA. He administered the 9/11 victims fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back