Welcome to PatsFans.com

Affirmative Action Question

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by fleabassist1, Oct 26, 2007.

1. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

So if the country continues the way it is going white people will be a minority pretty soon. When it happens, does that make them eligible for affirmative action?
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +70 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I would like to think so but I doubt it. It was around when I graduated HS and now 35 years later MY kids now have to deal with it. What has always got me was the quota part of AA that a less qualified person would get a job over a more qualified one because their a minority. I think it was a good idea 40-50 years ago but has out lived its usefullness.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

Hopefully, when that happens, we'll be more like South Africa and protect the rights of the minority race (at least under the law). Affirmative action would only be necessary if we codify discrimination as was the case not too long ago, and is still the case in more subtle ways.
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah, so you're saying you hate the notion that white people could ever be treated equally under the eyes of the law and you want to do everything you can to see to it that that never happens by further expanding racist laws. Hmmmm..... Not sure I agree...
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 2 / -9

I better keep quiet.
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -6

Whatever. :rolleyes:
  7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey, I'm just giving the ole' "Patters Maneuver" a try, poor boy..!! Just because the limitations of your cognitive development can't realize this is not my fault.

Heh heh... the "Patters Maneuver"... good gravy, if that term isn't calling for a wise-crack of some sort, then I don't know what is..!! But I shall refrain... :rofl:
  8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +70 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

HMMM Harry comming down with something /don't feel well?
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +559 / 2 / -9

White Bastards In Maine:

Have you ever,
    Have you ever eaten "Barbecued Bob Cat Bowels"

Have you ever gone "Blueberry Picking" with a women that has no teeth?

Instead of going to a "Strip Club", have you ever bought a case of beer and sat around with 15 guys that all smelled like "sheep sh!t" and watched a farmer "Breed His Cow" with a "10,000 lb Bull"?

Wearing nothing but a yellow and red Jock Strap, have you ever jumped out of a tree onto the back of a "Cow Moose" in heat and stabbed it to death with your hunting knife?

Have you ever watched Clams having sex and then become aroused yourself.

Have you ever stuck your head down in the hole of an outhouse, to look around.

Have you ever played with yourself in a tree

All minority's in Maine have been shipped in from Somalia, they were taught two words of English by the do-gooder loons the day they arrived, those words are "Police Brutality" if you should vist Lewiston Me and say 'hello" to a Somalian they will smile and say "Police Brutality" most Mainers smile back and say
    "f-ck you" then the Somalian will reply, "Police Brutality" they can't drive but they are issued free drivers licenses they are required to sign them when they do they sign "Police Brutality" when one of them has a baby they name them "Oboota Whahingy Police Brutality Smith"

Come to Maine, the way life should be.
    :bricks:
  10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That is Michael Skakel-Kennedy's alibi for what he was doing while "someone else" was bludgeoning Martha Moxley to death. I am dead serious. That's where he says he was at the time of the murder so it couldn't have been him.

"I'm going to get away with murder. I'm a Kennedy." - Michael Skakel-Kennedy
  11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +70 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Your outhouse Harry is it a TWO or THREE HOLER?.... Just curious. :D
    . ;)
  12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +446 / 6 / -9

Affirmative Action Answer

Affirmative Action does not simply give you things because there are less of your group.

Affirmative Action attempts to redress historical inequalities.

One example is Jews in America. Historically, by the time Affirmative Action was an issue, the various injustices faced here by Jews was not reflected by a socioeconomic disadvantage within society. Another example is women. Although there are more women than men, gender is a determinant in many affirmative action decisions.

The defining characteristic of Affirmative Action is socioeconomic disadvantage. Whether you believe it succeeds or not, the program's point is to break self-perpetuating legacies in positions of power.

Whites, as a "race" group, are not at a socioeconomic disadvantage in our society. Looking at the faces of Corporate America, Whites are not under-represented. Looking at our colleges and universities as well, Whites are doing just fine getting in. Measuring by income and status, Whites still do quite well, as a group.

A final point: When whites do slip into minority status -- the current estimates for this to happen nationwide range from 2050 to early in the 2100s -- they will still make up the largest ethnic group.

This is what's called a "plurality," rather than simply a minority. If there are still more of you than everybody else, even by the simple-minded notion that minority status guarantees affirmative action, you can hardly go begging based on the idea that you're in a small disadvantaged group.

As you may be aware, prior to affirmative action, very, very few Blacks and women were in leadership positions in corporate America (among other ills.) This is only a good thing if you're a White male.

PFnV
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Affirmative Action Answer

Exactly... redress one historical inequality by implementing another. Yeah that makes sense :rolleyes:
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

You are one sick trip my friend! If I ever make my way to Maine, I'm coming to have a drink with you buddy! :eat2:
  15. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +446 / 6 / -9

Re: Affirmative Action Answer

What you think of affirmative action depends on whether you believe that two people of equal ability but different races actually face similar odds, and of course, whether "evening the playing field" produces net gains or losses for meritocracy, i.e., equality of opportunity (as opposed to outcome.)

I will say my impression is that we have more equality of opportunity now, than in, say, 1965. I think this is due in part to the strengthening of minority/women representation at higher levels.

I also recognize that at a certain point, taken to the extreme, you could simply have reversal rather than redress. Having been told once by "someone in the know" that he was in the meeting where it was decided the job I was up for would go to a woman, I understand both sides of the discussion. I do not think, all told, that we've reached that point yet. I do believe that there is still a great deal of opportunity for the White male in America, when measured against other demographics.

However, the poor reasoning of the initial topic was my point.

PFnV
  16. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You understand that the vast majority of Hispanics in the U.S. are considered white by the Census Bureau, right?
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +559 / 2 / -9

I conducted a survey on this subject once (outhouse holes) not one person I talked to had ever sat in the outhouse with another person yet they continued to make 2 & 3 holer's.

One of the most peaceful places in this world to sit and go over your life is an Out house In Maine on a hot August morning, no noise only the sound of a fly buzzing, up in the corner a spider in his web, waiting for a fly, ocean air coming in under the door, the smell of bacon frying coming in from the the house and the smell of sh!t.

The good thing about an outhouse in your backyard under the apple tree is, you don't have to worry about some Republican Politician pushing your foot around while your looking at pictures in the "Ladies Underwear Section" of you Sears & Roebuck Catalog.

I whiled many happy hours away when I was a boy in one of these little buildings.
    :bricks:
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  18. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +446 / 6 / -9

Okay, Harry, I am now just afraid of the whole state of Maine.

You don't have a hook for one arm and make teenage campers disappear one by one do you?

PFnV
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +559 / 2 / -9

I don't but I know some guys just like that :rocker:
  20. MightyFooda

MightyFooda Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The problem is that affirmative action was put in place as a band aid while we fixed the inner city school systems and weeded out racism in society. We haven't fixed the school systems, and I hope you democrats don't act like you've even tried too, so kids that might get better grades in a better school system don't.
    I hate affirmative action though because it creates racism,"I lost my job to a mexican" etc etc.
    But until we fix the huge gaps in the education that kids in inner cities and poor black communities receive, it's, I think a necessary evil. But I think it's hillarious we can spend $8000 per citzen on a BS war, but can't fix this problem.
    Eveyone in office should be ashamed of themselves.