Votes: 6 14.6%
  • New England

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Meh......

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Patriots were 5-3 after 8 games last year. It is really early.

The Texans are obviously the best right now, but I feel that with a little better secondary (most notably safety) play and less mental errors, the Patriots can be still a contender, even if it means going on the road to Baltimore or Houston. After all, the secondary has cost them 2 games and the offense/special teams 1 game but how often does that happen? BB and crew needs to do something to shake up the secondary because they cannot stop anything right now.

I think you're forgetting our secondary issues. There is no way we make it to the AFCC game with that secondary. They've been playing even worse than last year. :(

Haha I am aware how putrid our secondary is, but I suppose I am an optimist thinking they will at least be mediocre come playoff time. These next 6 games are huge, and if we can get some momentum and win them all I will feel confident going into those games against the Texans and Niners at home. There is still hope.

Patriots were 5-3 after 8 games last year. It is really early.

Last year in the second half we didn't have to play 2 of the best teams in the NFL. I hope we can get to 5-3 at the break this year but we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot because quite frankly this team should be 6-0, 5-1 at worst, but instead we're screwing ourselves into a dogfight for the division.

I think Houston is best built for a SB run. I could see them smacking us around like the Giants have done.

They're the team to beat IMO, I think by season's end we could establish ourselves as the top dog but until this pass D get it together and we stop having these mental lapses in games we do not look like a super bowl team. But the potential is definitely there, this stretch is a great opportunity to build momentum and be 9-3 heading into those 2 big ones at home with Houston and SF.

I think Houston is best built for a SB run. I could see them smacking us around like the Giants have done.

They're the team to beat IMO, I think by season's end we could establish ourselves as the top dog but until this pass D get it together and we stop having these mental lapses in games we do not look like a super bowl team. But the potential is definitely there, this stretch is a great opportunity to build momentum and be 9-3 heading into those 2 big ones at home with Houston and SF.

I've yet to see Houston shut down an elite offense. The got spanked by New Orleans last year and Green Bay last night, we can score on them. I just don't know if we'll be able to shut down Andre Johnson at all.

Someone probably already posted it, but if SD loses tonight -- and I think they will -- there will be exactly two teams in the AFC with winning records.

Incidentally, Baltimore has eeked out a few very close games in situations not dissimilar to ones the Patriots have squandered. It's a razor-thin margin between their 5-1 and our 3-3. (And actually, I'm of the opinion that the FG at the end of the Bal game was a blown call, in which case both teams would be 4-2 with NE having the head-to-head advantage.)

Houston has beaten pretty much nobody, except maybe for Denver, a game in which they barely escaped at the end. And they got slaughtered by 18 points last night; by contrast, the Patriots' 3 losses have come by a combined 4 points.

The Pats need to find a way to pull out the close games, perform better (and more decisively) in all three phases in the 4th quarter especially, but it's only mid-October, and the Pats/BB/TB have enough good stuff in the bank that I'm nowhere near ready to panic yet.

Someone probably already posted it, but if SD loses tonight -- and I think they will -- there will be exactly two teams in the AFC with winning records.

Incidentally, Baltimore has eeked out a few very close games in situations not dissimilar to ones the Patriots have squandered. It's a razor-thin margin between their 5-1 and our 3-3. (And actually, I'm of the opinion that the FG at the end of the Bal game was a blown call, in which case both teams would be 4-2 with NE having the head-to-head advantage.)

Houston has beaten pretty much nobody, except maybe for Denver, a game in which they barely escaped at the end. And they got slaughtered by 18 points last night; by contrast, the Patriots' 3 losses have come by a combined 4 points.

The Pats need to find a way to pull out the close games, perform better (and more decisively) in all three phases in the 4th quarter especially, but it's only mid-October, and the Pats/BB/TB have enough good stuff in the bank that I'm nowhere near ready to panic yet.

All good points. The AFC is indeed wide open this year. Any one of a handful of teams could win it, IMO. And the Pats are very much in the thick of that mix.

Yeah Baltimore should have lost yesterday if not for idiotic end of game management by Dallas and their defense isnt that great, just sucks that we blew that game (I think they missed the FG too but we shouldnt have even been in that spot.) Now we basically have to root for Baltimore to beat Houston this week because it presents the best chance for us to manage a bye since we can still beat Houston head to head.

I've yet to see Houston shut down an elite offense. The got spanked by New Orleans last year and Green Bay last night, we can score on them. I just don't know if we'll be able to shut down Andre Johnson at all.

Shut down Andre Johnson?.....I don't know if they could shut down Jets owner Woody Johnson if he suited up at WR next weekend. :cool:

Haha I am aware how putrid our secondary is, but I suppose I am an optimist thinking they will at least be mediocre come playoff time. These next 6 games are huge, and if we can get some momentum and win them all I will feel confident going into those games against the Texans and Niners at home. There is still hope.

With regards to Houston and the Niners…. I guess the good thing going for us is that these are both home games, dead smack in the middle of December. Playing against teams that are not accustomed to playing in cold weather. Houston is a dome team, and the Niners will be travelling through 3 time zones. Back to back games in prime time. Go into these games in attack mode, for the whole NFL to see (in primetime) will be huge.

Also, after seeing how the Jets hung with the Texans, and how the Giants embarrassed the Niners @ Candlestick, we may have some valuable hints on how to beat them. But first and foremost, our secondary needs to get its act together – FAST!

Nobody shuts down elite offenses these days with regularity. I just think with their front 7 they may have the ability to get to Brady and keep him rattled. They could probably shut down our run game like the other good front 7's have this year and leave us one dimensional.

Their offense is actually a good matchup for us IMO. We're good against the run and Shaub is not an elite type QB, totally unproven in playoffs. Andre has not been the same this season, not even on pace for 1000. Not many other legit weapons in the passing game. But those are the types of teams that have traditionally given us fits in the playoffs.

Last edited:
not with the mistakes i've seen my chargers make lol

unless everyone on other afc teams keep getting injured

let's just all pray the jets don't somehow make the playoffs

If there is a God, he will never allow that abomination of a franchise and fan base to experience one moment's respite from the excruciating, abject misery and suffering that they so richly deserve.

Maybe that's just me though.

Last edited:
I guess I'd still have to go with houston even though I voted baltimore.

they coughed up a hairball yesterday and it is potentially the best thing that happened to them

Nobody shuts down elite offenses these days with regularity. I just think with their front 7 they may have the ability to get to Brady and keep him rattled. They could probably shut down our run game like the other good front 7's have this year and leave us one dimensional.

Their offense is actually a good matchup for us IMO. We're good against the run and Shaub is not an elite type QB, totally unproven in playoffs. Andre has not been the same this season, not even on pace for 1000. Not many other legit weapons in the passing game. But those are the types of teams that have traditionally given us fits in the playoffs.

I agree with that, the rules make it impossible to "shut down" anyone and if you are getting shut down you can just underthrow a ball and pray for a PI flag but with the Texans, I mean its a small sample size but in the past 2 seasons of their elite defense they've played New Orleans and Green Bay and both times gave up over 40 points. I'll almost consider it a failure if we don't top 30.

...We're good against the run and Shaub is not an elite type QB, totally unproven in playoffs.

And neither are Kevin Kolb and Russell Wilson... and both looked like Joe Montana against our secondary. ;)

And neither are Kevin Kolb and Russell Wilson... and both looked like Joe Montana against our secondary. ;)

Kolb didn't look like Montana. Wilson just threw up prayers and they were answered. But I guess that kind of makes our point too that the secondary is so bad that they can't even stop bad QB's when everything is on the line. I had zero faith in us stopping them on the last drive. That's the problem with these teams is they'll ground our offense, keep it close and then when it comes down to crunchtime nobody on our team aside from maybe Brandon Spikes and Wilfork is capable of stepping up. The other team's QB somehow outplays Brady and makes the key plays.

Last edited:

Huh? Kolb passed for 140 yards with one TD with a 55.6% completion rating. How is that Montana type of production? They held Fitzgerald to one catch for four yards. The defense did their job in that game.

Not to rain on the parade, but the patriots are lucky they're in a winnable division this year and should concentrate on that. They're young and have talent, but they still have secondary problems as well as putting everything together problems. They've managed to give games away despite some awesome stretches of front seven and offensive play, and you get no awards for being awesome during losses.

It really doesn't matter who the "best" team is early in the year, it's who improves, gels and does it when it counts, and that means get in the playoffs any way you can.

The Patriots are what their record says they are. Right now, they are a mediocrity in search of an identity in a division packed with mediocrities looking for identities.

Fortunately, the entire AFC is leaning towards lots of tie-breaker action in that 9-7, 10-6 range for the playoffs. the Patriots certainly do not look like an 11-5 team, but that is what they'll need to be sure they get into the playoffs.

the schedule says that 8-2 is possible the rest of the way, but if Russell Wilson can torch the secondary deep, so can a lot of other guys.

Last edited:
The Giants have provided the right roadmap. What really matters is that you make the playoffs one way or the other, stay healthy, are playing your best in December and are mentally tough. They have proven that having the "most talent" or being the "most explosive" or "having the baddest ass D" is not what it takes to win the SB...though any of those are nice things to have going for you.

I would say that any one of a half a dozen teams could represent the AFC in New Orleans: Baltimore, Denver (do you really want to count out a team with Peyton Manning at QB?), Houston, New England, Pittsburgh (know how to win and win ugly, which is what I think this season will come down to) or San Diego.

The winner is not just going to have to sneak into the playoffs, have stayed healthy through December and be playing its best football at that time, but it's also going to have to be unafraid to win big games on the road in a hostile environment.

The formula:
  • Make the Playoffs by hook or by crook
  • Healthy Team
  • Playing your best in December
  • Good QB
  • Mental toughness to win on the Road.

Fasten your seatbelts. It's gonna be quite a ride.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back