PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC playoff picture W/remaining games.

Don't ask me why but I feel we will get knocked out in our first play off game this year. Even Jets in play offs is a no gimme...

What I say?

I say that we our current defense we're ain't going anywhere.
That's kind of stupid given that we will likely have Talib, Dennard and Gregory back - 3/4 of the starting DBfield.

The problem is how many games we lose while waiting to get them back - probably this week, after that everything is winnable. I suspect we'll miss the bye but host a WC game as a division winner.

With the way the pats played in the first half against carolina, i almost prefer not to have the bye this year. Playing the jets in the wild card and then the colts in indy are winnable games. And anything coild hapen in the afccg.

anyone who says they would rather play 3 games then 2 is completely insane and fooling themselves. Have you seen the injuries? we are 2-3 on the road. This team isn't build for road playoff wins this year with the injuries. We can't even win on the road in the reg season let alone playoffs.

Team NEEDS bye in order to at least try and reach the SB

That's kind of stupid given that we will likely have Talib, Dennard and Gregory back - 3/4 of the starting DBfield.

The problem is how many games we lose while waiting to get them back - probably this week, after that everything is winnable. I suspect we'll miss the bye but host a WC game as a division winner.

Have Talib back.....but for how long?.....this guys hip injury is going to need an offseason to fully heal,until then it has to be held together with hopes it does not totally handicap him from playing.

So, we'll score 30 points a game for the rest of the season. That won't beat DEN. One other
will likely beat us. leaving us at 11-5.

Obviously, we'd rather have the 3rd seed than the 4th. As many have said, we'd rather play the 6th seed than play one of the top teams in the league.

first, the denver offense has been trending downwards and their defense is getting worse. 30 points for denver will likely not be enough to beat the pats. manning, welker, and julius thomas are beat up. with our defense, we may be missing a leg, but I think denver's offense is close to running on fumes. and even though they beat the chiefs in denver, now they have to come to new england and have to go to KC

by the way, sunday's weather?

Details for Sunday, November 24
Partly cloudy and windy. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the upper teens.

anyone who says they would rather play 3 games then 2 is completely insane and fooling themselves. Have you seen the injuries? we are 2-3 on the road. This team isn't build for road playoff wins this year with the injuries. We can't even win on the road in the reg season let alone playoffs.

Team NEEDS bye in order to at least try and reach the SB

The injuries will not magically disappear with an extra week - most of the guys who are hurt have been IRed anyway. Talib and dennard are hurt now, but will probably be ok by January. Im more worried about gaining momentum and then plowing through somehow to the super bowl then home having home field advantage, which really hasn't done a whole lot in the playoffs against baltimore last year, the jets in 2010 and baltimore again in 2009. Hot teams are tough to stop. If the pats get hot and confident, they have the talent to beat anyone in the AFC.

The injuries will not magically disappear with an extra week - most of the guys who are hurt have been IRed anyway. Talib and dennard are hurt now, but will probably be ok by January. Im more worried about gaining momentum and then plowing through somehow to the super bowl then home having home field advantage, which really hasn't done a whole lot in the playoffs against baltimore last year, the jets in 2010 and baltimore again in 2009. Hot teams are tough to stop. If the pats get hot and confident, they have the talent to beat anyone in the AFC.

The week off doesnt always work out so well.

Coming off this bye, the Pats were almost shut out in the first half of the Panthers game.

Den goes 5-1 to finish 14-2, gets the #1 seed.
Ind goes 4-2 to finish 11-5, gets the #2 seed.
NE goes 4-2 to finish 11-5, gets the #3 seed.
Cin goes 3-2 to finish 10-6, gets the #4 seed.
KC goes 5-1 to finish 14-2, gets the #5 seed.
NYJ go 3-3 to finish 8-8, gets the #6 seed.

Wildcard Round
NE waxes NYJ
KC beats Cin

Divisional Round
Den beats KC
NE beats Ind

AFCCG
NE at Den - who knows?

I'm glad that I scrolled down. That scenario is close to what I see happening.

I love the idea of KC being the 5th seed at 14-2 too.

I believe Indy will go 3-3 the rest of the year and the Pats can sneak into the #2 spot.

I also believe that the Bills could get hot, and with the schedule they have left could also get to 8-8. Not likely but a slim possibility.

The end of season games are the ones that can really throw a monkey wrench into things. If teams are already slotted they might have some control over who else gets into the playoffs. It's called a Polian.

My playoffs have;
WC
Indy beats NYJ (or Bills)
Cincy loses to KC
Divisional
Denver loses to KC (another one and done for the mighty Peyton)
NE beats Indy
AFCG
11-5 NE hosts 14-2 KC and wins 8-7.
SB
NE takes out the NYG.

What I say?

I say that with our current defense we're ain't going anywhere.

I have to go with my man here. Dude's so prescient that he conceded BOTH Monday's and this coming Sunday's games in the 2nd quarter the other night. How can I beat that?

The patriots won't beat anyone unless the offense starts playing at a high level.

The colts are destined to get knocked off by the jets
The bengals are going to get destroyed by the chiefs
The patriots could beat the chiefs if brady could put up 28 points
The jets have a GREAT chance at beating peyton on a cold and brisk sunday night
The patriots would defeat the jets and move on to jersey(only fitting)
The patriots would defeat a worn out broncos and peyton in cold weather

I like the patriots chances to make the superbowl, but i also dislike the chances the defense would hold up.

Right now we trail Indy due to 4-2 in the conference vs. 5-2 for them

But we have one more in-conference game to play than they do, so a tie in overall record may well also have a tie in conference record, and then it comes down to the next tiebreaker: Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games

Indy beat Denver, so we really need to do the same.
Indy beat Houston, so we really need to do the same.
Indy lost to Miami, while we beat them once and we need to beat them again.
We lost to Cincinnati, so hopefully they do as well.

Those things help us in potential tiebreaks with Indy to get #2 rather than #3.

Thanks for sorting out the tiebreaks!

We're 3-1 vs. the NFC; Indy is 2-1 with Arizona still to go. So if they win vs Arizona, a tie implies a conference-record tie as well. If they lose to Arizona and still tie NE in the standings, Indy wins the conference record tiebreak.

I think the key thing to watch the rest of the way is the NE-Ind battle for the #2 seed. The #2 seed this year is probably better than the #1 seed, because the #1 seed has to face either Den or KC in the Divisional Round. I think 12-4 gets the #2 seed, so the question really is whether NE can go 5-1 the rest of the way. I think they can, but this week is pretty darned important. Not just for the overall record, but also for tiebreakers (conference record).

I think the key thing to watch the rest of the way is the NE-Ind battle for the #2 seed. The #2 seed this year is probably better than the #1 seed, because the #1 seed has to face either Den or KC in the Divisional Round. I think 12-4 gets the #2 seed, so the question really is whether NE can go 5-1 the rest of the way. I think they can, but this week is pretty darned important. Not just for the overall record, but also for tiebreakers (conference record).

The 2 seed is almost a lock at this point. The colts are struggling without wayne and the bengals look depleted after losing geno atkins.

The patriots just have to keep everyone healthy until the end of the season.

I don't know how its all going to play out, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing

Patriots-Giants III

I don't know how its all going to play out, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing

Patriots-Giants III

I think I'll DVR that game and decide what to do about watching it late that evening

I think I'll DVR that game and decide what to do about watching it late that evening

You and me both. My heart can't take another one of those games. I may leave the country this time and come back at a later date.

You and me both. My heart can't take another one of those games. I may leave the country this time and come back at a later date.

The giants defensive line isn't that great anymore :rolleyes:

The lions are the only nfc team that can manhandle the patriots offensive line like the giants did.

We'll get the 2 seed, that I'm fairly confident of. This week represents to me our only real chance to lose--Baltimore on the road is the only other game that makes me remotely nervous and I think we're starting to get to the point where we will click on O. If there are no more catastrophic injuries on D, I see 12-4 as the floor.

After watching the Giants twice and Baltimore last year, I'm less concerned with seeding and more concerned with peaking in January. I'd love the bye because it's one less chance to lose, but that's about it.

We'll get the 2 seed, that I'm fairly confident of. This week represents to me our only real chance to lose--Baltimore on the road is the only other game that makes me remotely nervous and I think we're starting to get to the point where we will click on O. If there are no more catastrophic injuries on D, I see 12-4 as the floor.

After watching the Giants twice and Baltimore last year, I'm less concerned with seeding and more concerned with peaking in January. I'd love the bye because it's one less chance to lose, but that's about it.

Patriots don't have a defense that can win on the road so how can you compare them the giants and ravens?

The 2 seed is almost a lock at this point. The colts are struggling without wayne and the bengals look depleted after losing geno atkins.

The patriots just have to keep everyone healthy until the end of the season.

Good thing that's so certain to happen.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back