Welcome to PatsFans.com

AFC East Training Camp Preview

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by T-ShirtDynasty, Jul 3, 2007.

1. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/06/19/tc.preview.afc.east/index.html

Some highlights from the Patriots section...

Other interesting stuff in there regarding our division rivals as well.
  2. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +517 / 5 / -1

3. 37Harrison

37Harrison Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -2

#37 Jersey

I already emailed Mr. Bucky about that "inaccuracy" in his article. If his email is buckybrooks@cnnsi.com. I don't know how to find their emails.
  4. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +235 / 18 / -38

#50 Jersey

How has Randall Gay "settled in as a nickle or dime back" when he hasn't play much at all the last 2 years?

In all honesty, Gay is my Darkhorse to win the starting spot opposite Hobbs if Samuel isn't in camp.
  5. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

I have to agree with Dabruinz, if Gay is healthy and can prove to BB that he can stay healthy and be physical, I'm thinking he will beat Scott for the starters job, provided the Samuel issue is not resolved amicably. I say this because I think Gay is better in coverage than Scott (based on what I've seen of Gay in games and TC) . So if Gay can be as physical as Scott and stay out of the training room, then he should win the starters job.

Even though Gay has not finished the last two years, he has participated in off season programs and TC's so that should give BB a real good idea of Gay's strengths and weaknesses.
  6. patfanken

patfanken On the Roster

Ratings:
    +426 / 13 / -8

#91 Jersey

The fact of the matter is that no matter what the agent or media say, the bottom line will be that Samuel will be there to collect those $500,000 weekly checks from the start of the season. BOTTOM LINE: there is just TOO much money involved to have a hold out...for the regular season. I can believe it could drag out into TC, especially the during the 2 a days, but eventually he will come in. My guess is before the 2nd preseason game.

BTW- We should start a pool on when Samuel arrives and signs the tender. There should be some kind of prize for the winner.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  7. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Not to be a drag, but IIRC, Gay's UDFA status out of college was due to a season-ending injury in college as well. While Gay may begin the season as a starter, it would be a mistake to let go of the runner-up. He might even make more mileage as a situational back-up.
  8. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

**sigh** You wet blankets and your cursed reality stuff, next you'll be telling us Tedy Bruschi is getting older. Still...

BB's defensive breakdown generally works out to be 7 DL, 10 LB, and 10 DB. Those 10 DB seem to breakdown into 6 CB and 4 S, with lots and lots of crossover. There are currently 17 DB on the roster heading into Training Camp. 1 or 2 will probably be lost to injury, a couple more could wind up on the Practice Squad (the historical rosters on Patriots.com show 5 DBs were on the PS on the end of season rosters, combined with all the DBs moved between the PS, Shadow Roster, and Roster, BB does try to keep a few extra stashed).
    Code:
    [u]   [b]CB                         Tweener                          S[/b]    [/u]
    Hobbs                         Anam^                          Baker 
    James                         Andrews                        Harrison
    Richardson^                   Gay                            Hawkins* 
    Williams^                     E.Jackson**                    Mitchell**               
                                  Meriweather^**                 Sanders  
                                  Scott                          Wilson*                         
                                  Spann**

Crossover players: Childress^, Welker, and Troy Brown if he re-signs.

*I no longer consider Hawkins or Wilson to be tweeners, Hawk has lost a step and 
    Wilson doesn't seem quick twitch enough to play CB on a consistent basis. 

^Indicates Practice Squad eligibility (Spann may also have another year).                             

**Rehab as of Mini-Camp - possible PUP candidates.
    Looking at this mass of humanity, I'm comfortable with the idea that BB can put together a pool of capable CBs to play opposite Hobbs.
  9. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

But you do consider Scott still a tweener?
  10. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Yes. Since he started 9 games in 2006, BB & Co. still see him as a good CB. I'm not as comfortable with him as a Safety, but he can play back there in a pinch. I love having him for situational roles, like his work against Antonio Gates in San Diego. It's nice having a 6'1" 205 pound CB who can work against those big receiving TEs.
  11. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I remember last year hearing that Scott was the fastest defensive back on the team. If he has that kind of speed he can definitely play cornerback.