AFC East in focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denism

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Per Reiss:
ANALYSIS

Which teams in the AFC East have helped themselves most in free agency?

Here is one look at what has unfolded in the division:

Buffalo
Acquisitions/re-signings: OG Derrick Dockery, CB Jabari Greer, DE Chris Kelsay, OT Langston Walker, C/G Jason Whittle
Departures: S Matt Bowen, CB Nate Clements, LB London Fletcher-Baker, RB Willis McGahee, OG Tutan Reyes, OG Chris Villarrial
Final take: While the intentions seem solid to build a strong offensive line for QB J.P. Losman, these moves seem curious overall. Paying big bucks for an interior guard (Dockery) while losing a blue-chip cornerback (Clements) without getting into the bidding? The team also appears to have overpaid to keep Kelsay. The choice here would have been to let Kelsay go and not sign Dockery, and instead keep Clements. It looks like more talent has left this team than has been added.

Miami
Acquisitions/re-signings: WR Kelly Campbell, K Jay Feeley, DE Vonnie Holliday, TE David Martin, LB Joey Porter, NT Keith Traylor, FS Cameron Worrell
Departures: OL Bennie Anderson, DE Kevin Carter, QB Joey Harrington, OG Jeno James, OT Damion McIntosh, C/G Seth McKinney, TE Randy McMichael, RB Sammy Morris, WR Wes Welker, DT Dan Wilkinson
Final take: First-year coach Cam Cameron and GM Randy Mueller are putting their stamp on this team early, doing the type of housecleaning that many felt former coach Nick Saban would. These look like important moves for a coach looking to establish a new culture, they landed an impact player in Porter for their 3-4, and they're stockpiling draft picks as well. Still, there is the big question at quarterback.

New York Jets
Acquisitions/re-signings: FB Darian Barnes, RB Thomas Jones, DE Kenyon Coleman, DE Bobby Hamilton, CB Hank Poteat
Departures: FB B.J. Askew, RB Kevan Barlow, RB Derrick Blaylock, QB Patrick Ramsey, OL Trey Teague
Final take: Looks like upgrading the running game was an offseason priority and the Jets have done that without giving up much. They also extended the contract of WR Jerricho Cotchery. All in all, this looks like a team with a sound plan which has improved itself.

New England
Acqusitions/re-signings: TE Kyle Brady, FB Heath Evans, LB Larry Izzo, RB Sammy Morris, LB Adalius Thomas, WR Wes Welker, C/G Billy Yates
Departures: OLB Tully Banta-Cain, RB Corey Dillon, TE Daniel Graham
Final take: The Patriots improved three significant positions on the roster (LB, RB, WR) while adding a franchise-type talent in Thomas. Thomas alone makes this a winning situation for the Patriots. The fact Brady received that rich of a deal surprised some around the league, but the Patriots obviously valued Graham's role as a blocker and were willing to pay for someone who might fill that void.

FINAL ANALYSIS: Overall, you have two stud defensive players entering the division in Miami (Porter) and New England (Thomas), and a New York team that has appeared to significantly upgrade its running attack. While Buffalo's moves seem questionable, the other three teams in the division look to have improved over the last week.

I have to say I'm not so sure as Reiss than Morris is an upgrade over Dillon at running back. I think he is more an upgrade over Pass.

I have to say I'm not so sure as Reiss than Morris is an upgrade over Dillon at running back. I think he is more an upgrade over Pass.

Ya, Good Point, i dont know a whole lot about Morris to be honest so ill bow to Reiss's knowledge on that one!

ill see if i can find some stats on him

the only positive morris has over dillon is consistent health. He is nowhere near the short yardage back dillon is or was.

As a full time back, no, Morris is definitely a downgrade compared to Dillon. As a part time back who's going to see the ball late in the game and in goal line situations, the two are closer than some think.

FINAL ANALYSIS: Overall, you have two stud defensive players entering the division in Miami (Porter) and New England (Thomas)

I disagree with Porter being a "stud defensive player"

the only positive morris has over dillon is consistent health. He is nowhere near the short yardage back dillon is or was.
There is more in the equation than short yardage.

Here was Reiss's thoughts:

Dillon if he stayed would not be the feature back anymore, nor would he split carries with Maroney. Maroney is expected to take most of the carries (as well he should). So here is Reiss's analysis

Our feature RB will be Maroney.
Our FB will be Evans.
Our third down back will be Faulk.

We will carry four backs. Which is better? Dillon or Morris?

Backup RB: Both Morris and Dillon can fill in for Maroney if Maroney gets hurt. Morris did fine when he played in place of Ricky Wiliams.

Short yardage-goal line: edge to Dillon
Special teams: Morris plays, Dillon doesn't
back up FB: Morris has blocked, Dillon doesn't
back up 3rd down back: Morris has edge

Taken everything into consideration, Reiss feels that we are better off in 2007 with Morris than with Dillon. I tend to agree.

Also, I'd rather have Morris that Dillon should Maroney get hurt. Dillon didn't do much splitting carries (except for short yardage). Evey other play he was tapping his helmet to be taken out of the game.

Last edited:
Given short shrift was Morris' ST abilities. Also, he is a team player that Welker described as, "he'll do whatever they want, all day and all night."

Ya, Good Point, i dont know a whole lot about Morris to be honest so ill bow to Reiss's knowledge on that one!

ill see if i can find some stats on him

Yeah i dont know much about Morris either. I do know that Pass is a play maker and would want him on my team any day. He can run, catch, block, hes hard to tackle, and always ran the screen well. Pass actually is one of my favorite Pats.

Yeah i dont know much about Morris either. I do know that Pass is a play maker and would want him on my team any day. He can run, catch, block, hes hard to tackle, and always ran the screen well. Pass actually is one of my favorite Pats.

You'll like Morris better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye