PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC East chat excerpts--ESPN's Jeremy Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Fungi

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Mark (Phoenix):
Does anyone know anything about Rodney Harrison and whether or not it's possible for him to be back during the playoffs? I also want to say that no matter what happens with him, the Patriots are the team to beat and I don't think anyone is going to be able to do that. Third in a row for the Patriots!

Jeremy Green: (12:01 PM ET ) Harrison is on IR and can't return. As for the Patriots and the 3-peat. They are playing excellent football right now but the only team they have beat of late is an average Tampa team. I think their secondary will be their demise in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Richard, Florida: With Ricky Williams running well this week do you foresee any teams showing interest in the offseason? What do you think his value would be? Also which QB do you think the Dolphins would/should pursue? Thanks as always.

Jeremy Green: (12:03 PM ET ) I don't think Ricky will be on the market. Saban loves him and knows he needs 2 backs. If they were to trade him he would be worth a 4th round pick. It should be more but he is one failed test away from a 1-year ban so teams would take that into account. As for QB -they should pursure Phillip Rivers.

peter zicky (florida): Does Nick Saban have his team buying in to his system, and is a QB the main ingredient to make this a playoff caliber team?

Jeremy Green: (12:04 PM ET ) Yes, the QB and I think 1-2 Offensive lineman woud help too. Defensively they are in good shape. They need to start drafting some young players because they are getting a little old at LB and inside at DT. WIth a QB this is a playoff team next season.

Dan (Sumter,SC): I'd put the Patriots' front seven against anybody in the league right now.

Jeremy Green: (12:05 PM ET ) I agree. Those guys have been together for 7 straight weeks right now and moving Vrabel inside with Bruschi has really solidified the run D. What a change from Brown/Beisel to Bruschi/Vrabel. Wilfork has also started to blossom and Seymour has been his usual dominanat self.

Jonathan (Buffalo): Did saturdays game save Mike Mularkeys job?

Jeremy Green: (12:06 PM ET ) Yes, but I never thought he was in trouble after o nly 2-years on the job. I think Donahoe has more to worry about than Mularkey.

kyle (illinois): i sent this Q to monday morning QB, but i'll ask it here too. the pats can still get the #3 seed in the afc. does this help or hurt the champs?

Jeremy Green: (12:08 PM ET ) I think it hurts them in the first round. I would want to sit where I am at and play the Jags in round 1. Being the 3 seed could help them in round two though because being the 3 seed would potentially mean staying away from Indy until the AFC Championship game - it is a double edged sword.

Cory (NEW YORK): As a Jet fan i am wondering why the Jets are not looking into a deal with San Diego, for Rivers?

Jeremy Green: (12:09 PM ET ) I'm sure they are. There are no less than 7-8 teams that will inquire about Rivers in the off-season.

Alex Miami: If the dolphins were to have a chance at Rivers, what could the Chargers possibly want in return?

Jeremy Green: (12:10 PM ET ) Considering he has not played in two seasons, his value goes down every day. It will take two picks - a 2 and a later pick like a 5th or 6th. Depends on the trade teams position too. A high 2 is like a 1 where as a low 2 is like a 3, so that will play a key role.

Victor : Would you consider Miami being one of the top teams in the nfl not making the playoffs?

Jeremy Green: (12:11 PM ET ) I wouldn't say top team. I would say they are the "hottest" team right now that is not going to make the playoffs.

Tony (Wilmington, DE): Did the Dolphins ultimately hurt themselves this season by exceeding expectations, and lowering their draft position, or is the fact that they now believe they can win far more valuable?

Jeremy Green: (12:13 PM ET ) No. Winning is the most important thing for a team with a new coach. The players and organization now beleive Saban is the guy that can lead them into the future. This is more important than any potential slotting as it pertains to draft picks.

Dennis (Boston, Ma): Jeremy, why aren't you giving the Patriots a chance to beat the Colts in the second round? If you remember correctly, they had a similar situation last year with the secondary and the Colts scored 3 points.

Jeremy Green: (12:16 PM ET ) The biggest thing that concerns me about the Pats is the secondary. If you look at this run they are on and ALL season, the QB's they have faced and pass offenses are awful. The best QB they beat all year was Big Ben. I just don't think that patchwork secondary will hold up.

Joe (Norton, MA): Where does the Tom Brady for MVP wagon stand? Is it all but given that Alexander will win it? (Holmes didn't get it in 2003 w/ a million tds... it was McNair/Manning)

Jeremy Green: (12:16 PM ET ) Brady should and will get some votes. My MVP is Alexander though.

Nick (North Augusta): Why don't Miami or NYJ go after a more proven young quarterback in Matt Shaub rather than Phillip Rivers?

Jeremy Green: (12:18 PM ET ) Teams will inquire abut Schaub and also Garrard. Where is San Diego is sold on Brees I can't say the same thing about Vick in Atlanta or Leftwich is Jax. I don't think Atlanta or Jax would be willing to deal their backup. And yes I know Vick is going to the Pro Bowl but that is an absolute JOKE.

Jonathan (Buffalo): Jeremy obviously the Bills have to address the offensive line situation. Will their top pick go to that? And will they be active in free agency?

Jeremy Green: (12:20 PM ET ) They will be active in free agency but not along the OL because this is the worst OL free agency group of linemen in years. Their top pick will be an O-lineman if one is available - they won't reach though. They also will address their TE need early in the draft.

mbsnmisc, Murrells Inlet, SC: Jeremy .. I really enjoy your work. Are there any FA qb's out there , other than rivers that might be a steal? Specifically McCown, Kitna,, McNair?

Jeremy Green: (12:22 PM ET ) It's not a good group. I will list them quickly. Blake, Detmer, Mathews, Stewart, Todd Collins, Kitna, Damon Huard, Jamie Martin, Batch, Wright, Brees (not going anywhere), Rosenfels, Weinke, McCown, Tim Hasselbeck, Nall, Shaun Hill. I mean it is terrible. After Brees, McCown is the next best and he is an average starter when he plays at best.

Jack (H-burg VA): I notice that there has been no mention of Ramsey in all the QB talk, were does he fit into the mix?

Jeremy Green: (12:25 PM ET ) Very true. The main reason there has been less talk about Patrick Ramsey is because the Skins have been disappointed in the progress of their rookie Campbell. Some in the organization question whether he will even be ready to be their #2 QB next season.

Matt (Brighton, MA): I agree with what you've said about the Patriots secondary thus far. In their three recent wins they have faced three of the worst passing offenses in the league. My question is, then, if the Patriots front seven can do what they have done in the last three games against the Colts, which is to put a TON of pressure on the QB, can that disguise that weakness and give them a chance to beat the Colts?

Jeremy Green: (12:27 PM ET ) Their run D is what will give them an OUTSIDE chance. The least talked about player of the Colts big 3 is "Edge." The Colts remind me a little of some of those excellent Rams teams where if you stopped Faulk you slowed the "O." Sand Diego showed that if you stop "Edge" you give yourself a chance.

apparently San Diego just barely had any chance whatsoever of beating the Colts

Thanks FF, nice to know we're dooooomed as they say.

Is it enough?

This question will be asked 100 different ways from now until we win the AFCG.
While our secondary should be improved enough to enable us to beat Jax or Pitts is it good enough to beat two hot offenses with hot QB's in Denver & Indy?

fgssand said:
This question will be asked 100 different ways from now until we win the AFCG.
While our secondary should be improved enough to enable us to beat Jax or Pitts is it good enough to beat two hot offenses with hot QB's in Denver & Indy?

in all truth, I fear the playoff matchups in the following order:

Cincy
Pitt
Indy
Denver
Jax

Cincy has played us very tough the last times we met--last season and in pre-season. If they hit on all cylinders...watch out...

Pitt--along with Jax--is one of the two remaining sluggers, but Jax has offensive question marks, whereas Pitt seems to be getting it together of late and most assuredly has purpose against NE.

I expect a fold job from both Plummer and Manning.

Flying Fungi said:
in all truth, I fear the playoff matchups in the following order:

Cincy
Pitt
Indy
Denver
Jax

Cincy has played us very tough the last times we met--last season and in pre-season. If they hit on all cylinders...watch out...

Pitt--along with Jax--is one of the two remaining sluggers, but Jax has offensive question marks, whereas Pitt seems to be getting it together of late and most assuredly has purpose against NE.

I share your concern regarding Cinnci, but if Buffalo can score on them as they did, I feel better. You are right, if they are hitting on all cylinders, it will be tough for us to beat them, of course you could make that claim about anyone in the playoffs.
I would rate my concerns as follows:

Cinnci
Tie: Indy - Denver
Pittsburgh
Jax
(If KC somehow gets in - I would put them above Pitts)

Better still, NE will be the team clicking on all cylinders and NO ONE will beat when we play like we are capable, NO ONE.

Who is Jeremy Green? I have never heard of him...

I love the fact that the Pats are healthy(er)...hopefully for the rest of the playoffs. This tells me that we have alot better of a chance in the playoffs.

I may be delusional, but I have a gut feeling that we are back in the superbowl against...I dunno for now.

...maybe it is the seacawks turn to lose.

Flying Fungi said:

Somehow ... neither can i see Jake beating us again in a big game ... even at neo-Mile-Hi.

My brain says i should be able to see it ... but that requires too much suspension of disbelief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back