PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC East All starting team

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds pretty good to me...

Remember that Zach and Jason have played in the 3-4..these days we play 3-4 about 50% of the time...if you check the official teams site depth chart it lists: DE, NT, DT, OE then SLB, MLB, WLB.

OE stands for Open end...bacially whenever jason stands up we switch to a 3-4, but when he puts his hand down were a 4-3...

One small gripe, at 262lb Schobel would be better suited as an OLB in the 3-4. I think he's worth a place, just not as a 3-4 DE.

Jarvis Green might be best as his replacement.

Ok, I didnt realize that, I will take off colvin and put schobel as the back up OLB and have Vonnie Holliday the back up DE

Just bored so I decided to do a all AFC east team. Thought it would be a fun discussion. I used a 3-4 on defense since 3 out of the 4 teams in the AFC East use 3-4 and I used a 3 WR, 1 TE look on offense. Any who.........

QB-Tom Brady - New England PatriotsAll but a formality here he clearly is the best QB in the division and probably the league. As much as I hate Tom I respect the hell out of him and dont think he would be praying like a ***** at the end of an AFC championship game like Manning.

Backups
Chad Pennington - New York Jets
J.P. Losman - Buffalo Bills

RB-Thomas Jones - New York Jets
Strong tough runner. I could have put Maroney here but his injury concerns scared me off a little bit and I would just like to see him perform as a fulltime starter.

Backups
Laurence Maroney - New England Patriots
Ronnie Brown - Miami Dolphins

WR-Ted Ginn no just kidding Randy Moss - New England Patriots
He gets here a lot on reputation but he still will be a top ten WR at worst with Brady.

WR-Lee Evans - Bufalo Bills
Burner quickly emerging receiver in his fourth year. Close to 1300 yards and 8 TD's last year

WR-Laveranues Coles - New York Jets
A tough receiver plays through a lot of injuries. Good speed and can serve as a possesion guy or a deep threat.

Backups
Jerricho Cotchery - New York Jets
Donte Stallworth - New England Patriots

TE-Ben Watson - New England Patriots
He kinda wins by default because theres not much competition. Watson is very gifted athletically. Good hands speed and size for a TE, blocking is just ok IMO.

Backup
Chris Baker - New York Jets

LT-Matt Light - New England Patriots

Backup
D'Brickashaw Ferguson - New York Jets

G-Logan Mankins - New England Patriots

Backup
Pete Kendall - New York Jets

C-Nick Mangold - New York Jets

Backup
Dan Koppen - New England Pats

G-Derrick Dockery - Buffalo Bills

Backup
Stephen Neal - New England Patriots

RT-Jason Peters - Buffalo Bills

Backup

Vernon Carey - Miami Dolphins

LE- Ty Warren - New England Patriots
Very underrated and could be seeing his first pro bowl soon.

Backup
Aaron Schobel - Buffalo Bills

NT-Vince Wilfork - New England Patriots
Big boy up the middle engages two blockers and is great against the run.

Backup
Keith Traylor Miami - Dolphins

RE- Richard Seymour - New England Patriots
A lot of what he does goes unnoticed he doesnt put up monster sack totals but is great at taking up blockers and creating push

Backup
Shaun Ellis - New York Jets

OLB-Adalius Thomas - New England Patriots

Just a pure beast, can play almost every position on defense. Great speed and demon on D.

Backup
Roosevelt Colvin - New England Patriots

ILB-Zach Thomas - Miami Dolphins
He would be a little undersized in the 3-4 but as long as you have the big boy at nose he should be fine. Look at a guy like Donnie Edwards at 225 but had Jamal Williams. Very smart, tough, leader on D.

ILB-Jonathan Vilma - New York Jets
Struggled a bit his first year in the 3-4 but came on late in the year. You give him a true big NT and he is a pro bowl quality LB

Backups
Mike Vrabel - New England Patriots
Teddy Bruschi - New England Patriots

OLB-Jason Taylor - Miami Dolphins
He hasnt taken a down in the 3-4 but this DPOY has the athletic skills to play 3-4 OLB and is just too much of a beast to not have on an all division D.

Backup
Joey Porter - Miami Dolphins

CB-Asante Samuel - New England Patriots?
Emerged last year and is arguably a top 5 CB in football. Played lights out in the 07 playoffs.

CB-Andre Dyson - New York Jets
Very good corner and somewhat underrated. Had a really good season last year in Mangini's defense.

Backups
Ellis Hobbs - New England Patriots
Will Allen - Miami Dolphins

FS-Kerry Rhodes - New York Jets
Statistically he had the best year out of any safety in the NFL last year. He was snubbed in the pro bowl but dont be fooled. Good blend of size and speed, he has the prototype build of a FS.

Backup
Ko Simpson Buffalo - Bills

SS- Donte Whitner - Buffalo Bills
Maybe a little be questionable that I didnt put in Rodney Harrison but he is coming off injuries and at his age his performance is unknown to me. Whitner is very versatile in pass coverage and run support

Backup
Rodney Harrison - New England Patriots

KR-Justin Miller - New York Jets
PR-Roscoe Parrish- Buffalo Bills

K-Rian Lindell - Buffalo Bills
p- Brian Moorman - Buffalo Bills

Coach Bill Belichick - New England Patriots
DC-Eric Mangini - New York Jets
OC-Cam Cameron - Miami Dolphins
ST-Mike Westhoff - New York Jets

Couldn't have tried any harder to leave out the Dolphins could ya?

Couldn't have tried any harder to leave out the Dolphins could ya?

Are you ever going to stop *****ing?

You seem to think everyone has a personal vendetta against the Dolphins. It's pathetic.

Last edited:
Are you ever going to stop *****ing?

You seem to think everyone has a personal vendetta against the Dolphins. It's pathetic.

Not nearly as pathetic as Pat fans attitudes, much like yours. BTW, I guarantee you'd feel the same if only two Pat players started on that roster as if that's not bad enough one is lined up in the worng position. JT won Defensive MVP and made the probowl last year as a DE not OLB in a 3/4 defense.

Not nearly as pathetic as Pat fans attitudes, much like yours. BTW, I guarantee you'd feel the same if only two Pat players started on that roster as if that's not bad enough one is lined up in the worng position. JT won Defensive MVP and made the probowl last year as a DE not OLB in a 3/4 defense.

Jason Taylor got many of his sacks playing rush linebacker out of a 3-4 look on passing downs.

Last edited:
Posted this in another thread, made a few changes though.

Qb- Tom Brady, backup- Chad Pennington
Fb-Sammy Morris, backup- Heath Evans
Hb- Thomas Jones, backup- Ronnie Brown
Wr- Randy Moss, Laverneus Coles, Lee Evans, Jerricho Cotchery
Te- Ben Watson, backup- Chris Baker
Lt- Matt Light
Lg- Login Mankins
C- Nick Mangold
Rg- Derrick Dockery
Rt- Steven Neal

Le- Jason Taylor
Dt- Vince Wilfork
Dt- Dwayne Robertson (not a great stat piler but a good passrusher in the four three nontheless)
Re-Richard Seymour
Lolb- Adalius Thomas
Mlb- Jonathan Vilma (when in the four three a top tier mike linebacker)
Rolb- Joey Porter
Cb- Asuante Samuel
Cb- Andre Dyson
Fs- Kerry Rhodes
Ss- Rodney Harrison

Special Teams
K- Jay Feely
P- Ben Graham
Kr/Pr- Justin Miller

Who did i leave off that should star? QB no, RB no, WR no TE no O-line I dont think so, DE no OLB Taylor is best suited here b/c he will not be am everydown DE in the 3-4 . I gave you Zach Thomas at ILB. The Phins have a number of backups. Maybe you need to realize that the fins arent a top team with an abundance of talent.

Just bored so I decided to do a all AFC east team. Thought it would be a fun discussion. I used a 3-4 on defense since 3 out of the 4 teams in the AFC East use 3-4 and I used a 3 WR, 1 TE look on offense. Any who.........

QB-Tom Brady - New England PatriotsAll but a formality here he clearly is the best QB in the division and probably the league. As much as I hate Tom I respect the hell out of him and dont think he would be praying like a ***** at the end of an AFC championship game like Manning.

Backups
Chad Pennington - New York Jets
J.P. Losman - Buffalo Bills

RB-Thomas Jones - New York Jets
Strong tough runner. I could have put Maroney here but his injury concerns scared me off a little bit and I would just like to see him perform as a fulltime starter.

Backups
Laurence Maroney - New England Patriots
Ronnie Brown - Miami Dolphins

WR-Ted Ginn no just kidding Randy Moss - New England Patriots
He gets here a lot on reputation but he still will be a top ten WR at worst with Brady.

WR-Lee Evans - Bufalo Bills
Burner quickly emerging receiver in his fourth year. Close to 1300 yards and 8 TD's last year

WR-Laveranues Coles - New York Jets
A tough receiver plays through a lot of injuries. Good speed and can serve as a possesion guy or a deep threat.

Backups
Jerricho Cotchery - New York Jets
Donte Stallworth - New England Patriots

TE-Ben Watson - New England Patriots
He kinda wins by default because theres not much competition. Watson is very gifted athletically. Good hands speed and size for a TE, blocking is just ok IMO.

Backup
Chris Baker - New York Jets

LT-Matt Light - New England Patriots

Backup
D'Brickashaw Ferguson - New York Jets

G-Logan Mankins - New England Patriots

Backup
Pete Kendall - New York Jets

C-Nick Mangold - New York Jets

Backup
Dan Koppen - New England Pats

G-Derrick Dockery - Buffalo Bills

Backup
Stephen Neal - New England Patriots

RT-Jason Peters - Buffalo Bills

Backup

Vernon Carey - Miami Dolphins

LE- Ty Warren - New England Patriots

Very underrated and could be seeing his first pro bowl soon.

Backup
Aaron Schobel - Buffalo Bills

NT-Vince Wilfork - New England Patriots
Big boy up the middle engages two blockers and is great against the run.

Backup
Keith Traylor Miami - Dolphins

RE- Richard Seymour - New England Patriots
A lot of what he does goes unnoticed he doesnt put up monster sack totals but is great at taking up blockers and creating push

Backup

Shaun Ellis - New York Jets

OLB-Adalius Thomas - New England Patriots

Just a pure beast, can play almost every position on defense. Great speed and demon on D.

Backup
Roosevelt Colvin - New England Patriots

ILB-Zach Thomas - Miami Dolphins
He would be a little undersized in the 3-4 but as long as you have the big boy at nose he should be fine. Look at a guy like Donnie Edwards at 225 but had Jamal Williams. Very smart, tough, leader on D.

ILB-Jonathan Vilma - New York Jets
Struggled a bit his first year in the 3-4 but came on late in the year. You give him a true big NT and he is a pro bowl quality LB

Backups
Mike Vrabel - New England Patriots
Teddy Bruschi - New England Patriots

OLB-Jason Taylor - Miami Dolphins
He hasnt taken a down in the 3-4 but this DPOY has the athletic skills to play 3-4 OLB and is just too much of a beast to not have on an all division D.

Backup
Joey Porter - Miami Dolphins

CB-Asante Samuel - New England Patriots?
Emerged last year and is arguably a top 5 CB in football. Played lights out in the 07 playoffs.

CB-Andre Dyson - New York Jets
Very good corner and somewhat underrated. Had a really good season last year in Mangini's defense.

Backups
Ellis Hobbs - New England Patriots
Will Allen - Miami Dolphins

FS-Kerry Rhodes - New York Jets
Statistically he had the best year out of any safety in the NFL last year. He was snubbed in the pro bowl but dont be fooled. Good blend of size and speed, he has the prototype build of a FS.

Backup
Ko Simpson Buffalo - Bills

SS- Donte Whitner - Buffalo Bills
Maybe a little be questionable that I didnt put in Rodney Harrison but he is coming off injuries and at his age his performance is unknown to me. Whitner is very versatile in pass coverage and run support

Backup
Rodney Harrison - New England Patriots

KR-Justin Miller - New York Jets
PR-Roscoe Parrish- Buffalo Bills

K-Rian Lindell - Buffalo Bills
p- Brian Moorman - Buffalo Bills

Coach Bill Belichick - New England Patriots
DC-Eric Mangini - New York Jets
OC-Cam Cameron - Miami Dolphins
ST-Mike Westhoff - New York Jets

I'd put Koppen ahead of Mangold, but I'd also put almost anyone ahead of Matt Light, including a traffic cone. I'm not sure Ferguson is the guy, but Light is a turnstyle.

I question the pick of Andre Dyson. If I remember correctly, Dyson was actually relegated to the bench against the Patriots in favor of Justin Miller in the play-off game.

Also, I would put Hobbs over Miller in the kick return game.

I question the pick of Andre Dyson. If I remember correctly, Dyson was actually relegated to the bench against the Patriots in favor of Justin Miller in the play-off game.

I agree that Dyson should not be on the 1st team. However, the reason Dyson was benched in the playoffs was due to a knee injury, which he had sustained in a previous game. Prior to the playoff game, there were many questions in the press about whether Dyson would even see the field. The Pats game-planned for Dyson's injury, and were able to exploit him with Jabar Gaffney, forcing the Jets' staff to bench him. IMO Dyson deserved credit for a game but futile effort. The Jet coaching staff was foolish for allowing him play.

WOW. Who'da a thunk it. Feelinthepain WHINING and COMPLAINING again. Dude, you keep lying and putting the blame for your lousy attitude on everyone else. The fault is your own.

Now, As for Jason Taylor and the Pro-Bowl. What defense did the Phins run last year? 3-4? Jason Taylor wasn't playing with his hand in the dirt. He was playing standing up. For the Pro-Bowl voting, they tend to standardize things based on the 4-3 defense, NOT the 3-4. So, Taylor, an OLB in the 3-4 goes to a DE spot in the 4-3. Hence, why he made the Pro-Bowl at that position.

And, if you weren't such a friggin homer, you'd have seen that there were more than 2 Dolphins listed.

Ronnie Brown, Vernon Carey (who is NOT the 2nd best RT in the division), Keith Traylor, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, and Will Allen were all mentioned. But, instead of acknowledging that its pretty unbiased for the fact that a Jets fan did it, you whine and complain as if someone took your lunch money away.

Posted this in another thread, made a few changes though.

Qb- Tom Brady, backup- Chad Pennington
Fb-Sammy Morris, backup- Heath Evans No way I can agree with this. Morris is a RB. Corey Schleshinger is probably the best FB in the division currently.
Hb- Thomas Jones, backup- Ronnie Brown
Wr- Randy Moss, Laverneus Coles, Lee Evans, Jerricho Cotchery
Te- Ben Watson, backup- Chris Baker
Lt- Matt Light
Lg- Login Mankins
C- Nick Mangold
Rg- Derrick Dockery
Rt- Steven Neal - Neal isn't a RT. I'm not sure he's even subbed at the position. Jason Peters (who will be at LT for the Bills this year) is a better pick at RT.

As for the defense, you changed it to a 4-3, which is not the defense that most of the division plays.

Le- Jason Taylor
Dt- Vince Wilfork
Dt- Dwayne Robertson (not a great stat piler but a good passrusher in the four three nontheless)
Re-Richard Seymour
Lolb- Adalius Thomas
Mlb- Jonathan Vilma (when in the four three a top tier mike linebacker)
Rolb- Joey Porter This must be some kind of joke, right? Colvin is better than Porter right now.
Cb- Asuante Samuel
Cb- Andre Dyson I'd have to go with Terrence McGee as being better
Fs- Kerry Rhodes
Ss- Rodney Harrison

Special Teams
K- Jay Feely Help me understand how FEELY is better than Nugent or Gostkowski
P- Ben Graham Brian Moorman is a better punter than Graham, honestly.
Kr/Pr- Justin Miller IMHO, Hobbs is a better KR than Miller. Terrence McGee is also a better one.

Just my 2 cents....

I'd put Koppen ahead of Mangold, but I'd also put almost anyone ahead of Matt Light, including a traffic cone. I'm not sure Ferguson is the guy, but Light is a turnstyle.

Sorry, Jackie, but this is a garbage. Light isn't a turnstile and its pretty damn foolish of you to say so. Its amazing how people ignore the fact that the Chargers move Merriman to the LDE slot to get him away from Light because Light was stonewalling him.

Light was recovering from an injury (badly broken leg) prior to the start of the season. It takes time to get back into game shape after an injury like that. Light, Koppen, Mankins and Neal formed a damn good front last year. It was the RT spot that was the issue, yet again.

compared to the "10" for the Pats.

like I said what phins do you want starting. You cant just say it and run away but give me some names. I dont know where AD will play so I will just put him a OLB which eliminate Porter. Do you want Vonnie over Warren? Ronnie over Jones? Chambers over coles, evans or moss? And the jets run the 3-4 w/ some 4-3. If im running a 3-4 Taylor is a 3-4 OLB which he can do if he was put in that situation.

Last edited:

Dyson had a really good year for us last year. He was benched in the playoffs b/c he was playing hurt and in the first drive Brady went after him. Miller made the pro bowl as a KR, I thought it was a given he was the starting KR

who says the standard defense in the AFC should be the 3-4? Miami ran a hybrid 3-4, 4-3 defense last year, the Bills run the Tampa 2 and the Jets run the 4-3.

The Jets principally run a 3-4, which makes 2 1/2 teams in the AFCE playing with it.

Like I said all behind the Pat players, also Like I said, if the rolls were reversed, you'd have an issue with the roster......which if you could read was the point I made....genius!

That would be because the Pats are the best team in the division, and have been for some time, whereas the Dolphins were the worst team last year and haven't made the playoffs for years.

I concur with DaBruinz that Jacky's exaggerated criticism of Light is wholly unwarranted. He's no Pro Bowler, but he's great in the run game (in particular) and he's hardly a turnstile. Turnstile is a term reserved for players like Jordan Black.

I'd take Koppen over Mangold at this juncture, although Mangold probably has greater upside.

And I'd really hope Andre Dyson is NOT the second best CB in the division...

Last edited:
nice topic/analysis

Chris Chambers went from being a Pro Bowler a year ago to not even making his own division's All Star team?

I would have him as a backup on this team, but I can't make a case for him being a starter over those guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing