PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Advantage of the #2 seed?

Double TE

4 LIFE
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Top seeds are just 7-9 in the divisional round since 2005. AFC top seeds are just 3-5 in this round since 2005. This is the 4th time Manning has led a No. 1 seed into the divisional round, and he's only 1-2 in those games, losing with the 2005 Colts against sixth-seeded Pittsburgh, and last year to the fourth-seeded Ravens.

A small sample size will often lead to false trends.

What happens if you move beyond 2005?

How do teams do playing at home versus playing on the road?

Top seeds are just 7-9 in the divisional round since 2005. AFC top seeds are just 3-5 in this round since 2005. This is the 4th time Manning has led a No. 1 seed into the divisional round, and he's only 1-2 in those games, losing with the 2005 Colts against sixth-seeded Pittsburgh, and last year to the fourth-seeded Ravens.

That's an extremely small sample. Why is it so small?? The Yankees might go 3-7 in their first 10 games... does anyone think this has meaning?

You might as well argue that losing the Super Bowl is better because such losers have done better in the following year--proven in years between say 1999-2006.

C'mon this is ESPN sh-t. Something to fill the air with blab. And it's alsol like saying that 95 bucks is really worth more than a 100 bucks.

Agreed but lets see if it continues this year.

Here are some other stats:

Since 1975:

• 20 of the 74 No. 1 seeds have won the Super Bowl -- 14 from the NFC, 6 from the AFC

• 20 No. 1 seeds have lost the Super Bowl -- 7 NFC, 13 AFC

• 14 No. 1 seeds have lost the conference championship game -- 8 NFC, 6 AFC

• 20 No. 1 seeds have lost their first playoff game -- 8 NFC, 12 AFC

Since 2000, only two No. 1 seeds have won the Super Bowl -- the 2009 Saints and the 2003 Patriots. In that same span, four No. 2 seeds, one No. 3 seed, two No. 4 seeds, one No. 5 seed and two No. 6 seeds have won the Super Bowl.

We have Blown the Top Seed twice does it doesn't matter if we are #2...its the Playoffs and if you don't bring your A-Game, well get prepred for your Golf game.

We have Blown the Top Seed twice does it doesn't matter if we are #2...its the Playoffs and if you don't bring your A-Game, well get prepred for your Golf game.

Logically - "no" but since 2000 the #2 seed has done better. :)

Agreed but lets see if it continues this year.

Here are some other stats:

Since 1975:

• 20 of the 74 No. 1 seeds have won the Super Bowl -- 14 from the NFC, 6 from the AFC

• 20 No. 1 seeds have lost the Super Bowl -- 7 NFC, 13 AFC

•..... l.

So 40 out of 74 no. one seeds have made it to the Super Bowl since 1975, and you see that as a disadvantage???? I think it says a whole lot about just how important the seed is and how good the team is that gets it.

Also, it is an honor in its own right. We love it that we have won so many division championships since BB.

So 40 out of 74 no. one seeds have made it to the Super Bowl since 1975, and you see that as a disadvantage???? I think it says a whole lot about just how important the seed is and how good the team is that gets it.

Also, it is an honor in its own right. We love it that we have won so many division championships since BB.

Keep in mind that back then it was easier to maintain "Dynasties"...there were many more haves vs. have nots, etc. But you are not wrong.

And it's alsol like saying that 95 bucks is really worth more than a 100 bucks.

But that's true! If you buy 50 cheeseburgers for $95 and someone else only gets 40 for $100, then $95 is worth more than $100.

Or you don't buy that analogy, think in terms of NFL draft picks...

2006 Colts beat Ravens
2007 Patriots win
2008 Ravens beat Titans
2009 Colts win
2010 Jets beat Patriots because Patriots choked
2011 Patriots win
2012 Manning chokes

A more significant take is that the AFC has had the Patriots/Ravens/Colts/Steelers as the top teams since 2003, and they've been battling it out for the right to play the SB. Only in 2007 has the AFC SB entrant not had to face at least one of those 4 teams.

No offense, but this is one of the reasons I am not a big fan of these historical trends...

Like, I hate when I hear someone say something along the lines of..."And the Raiders are 12-3 all-time on Monday Night games where the temperature is under 60 degrees and the head coach's wife is in her moon phase..."

This just reeks of over-analysis from people who more than likely have never played serious competitive sports at any significant level...

Who cares about annual trends? Past teams have nothing to do with present teams...

The important "trends" are what a team has done of late...this season, the past 3-4 games...

It's why I never buy it when you hear teams say, "We signed this guy to give us insight into our opponent", when the player hasn't been in the system for a significant amount of time (read: Deion Branch).

Now, if Deion was cut last week by New England and signed by the Colts this week, then you may be onto something.

Honestly, to me, it's all about organization, preparation, game-planning and execution - FOR THAT GAME - past performances notwithstanding...

That is why your top coaches rely so heavily on film - especially more recent film - to show them what an opponent does well and not so well...I guarantee you the past 3-4 Colts games have been played raw down at 1 Patriot Place this past week...and the Pats coaching staff has not considered any of these so-called "trends" in their game planning...

And that's the reason I love sports (and especially football) so much...any week, any night, any team can rise up and take down an opponent - trends, prognastications, "on paper" analysis be damned...

Look at what Auburn almost did to the juggernaut that was Florida State? If not for a mistimed PI call, The Tigers were a few moments from shocking the Noles and the world!

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back