Welcome to PatsFans.com

Advanced NFL stats: Too much runs on first downs/too much pass plays in red zone

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Patspsycho, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

NFL advanced stats argue that teams run too often on first downs, and pass too much in the red zone. Just an excellent analysis. I, for one, think our huge RZ problems have had to do with being too pass happy when we get there.

Advanced NFL Stats: Offenses Run Too Often On 1st Down
  2. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -1

Next question is this: are the Pats passing too much/not running enough in the red zone (a) because of poor play-calling/decisions by the coaching staff, or (b) because of a poor running game (due in part to injuries to Taylor and Morris)?
  3. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

Both might have been factors, however lately the line is blocking better and the running game has been more effective. I think the offense is playing better together as a whole compared to the beginning of the season even with Morris and Taylor out.
  4. Hercules Rockefeller

Hercules Rockefeller Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Agreed. The offensive line is run-blocking much better than they did early on, and I feel the protection has improved as well. I still like running inside the five yard line as well. Teams seem to have a tendency to either go to a spread look or a jumbo look inside the five. Maybe it's a spacing issue, but I think there are more formations that can be utilized inside the five.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.