PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Advanced NFL stats: Too much runs on first downs/too much pass plays in red zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patspsycho

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
NFL advanced stats argue that teams run too often on first downs, and pass too much in the red zone. Just an excellent analysis. I, for one, think our huge RZ problems have had to do with being too pass happy when we get there.

Advanced NFL Stats: Offenses Run Too Often On 1st Down

Next question is this: are the Pats passing too much/not running enough in the red zone (a) because of poor play-calling/decisions by the coaching staff, or (b) because of a poor running game (due in part to injuries to Taylor and Morris)?

Next question is this: are the Pats passing too much/not running enough in the red zone (a) because of poor play-calling/decisions by the coaching staff, or (b) because of a poor running game (due in part to injuries to Taylor and Morris)?
Both might have been factors, however lately the line is blocking better and the running game has been more effective. I think the offense is playing better together as a whole compared to the beginning of the season even with Morris and Taylor out.

Both might have been factors, however lately the line is blocking better and the running game has been more effective. I think the offense is playing better together as a whole compared to the beginning of the season even with Morris and Taylor out.

Agreed. The offensive line is run-blocking much better than they did early on, and I feel the protection has improved as well. I still like running inside the five yard line as well. Teams seem to have a tendency to either go to a spread look or a jumbo look inside the five. Maybe it's a spacing issue, but I think there are more formations that can be utilized inside the five.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye