PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Wilson signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people realize that Arizona last season removed him from Nickle packages .Don't fall in love with the name. The dude is not what he used to be people are going to be severely disappointed.Why we were not in the Ed Reed chase is beyond me .

Love it, dude will be the leader of the secondary. Needed somebody who can lay the wood even if he can't cover as well anymore. Maybe he'll play a bit of LB?

I think this signing addresses a sizable need

No question that Wilson's better days are behind him and he is not anywhere close to have decent cover skills anywhere after 20 yds downfield on WRs.

BUT

This defense gets killed by TEs and RBs on the short passing game. I do believe that Wilson can stay with these players just enough to be adequate in this purpose.

I also have no doubt he will still be able to lay down the lumber.

I consider him somewhere between 2006 Rodney and 2002 Lawyer Milloy. Can still move around and hit people, but to cover downfield is questionable.

Why we were not in the Ed Reed chase is beyond me .

Because we have our FS and a reasonable backup and need a SS. Ed is the best FS of all time but is not a SS.

You know who wasn't very good in coverage? Rodney Harrison.

The game being called as it is now Rodney Harrison would be ineffective.Today's Nfl safety needs to be a cover guy.

He wasn't my first choice as "the veteran S" but it could be a great pick up. Some thoughts and comments

1. IIRC Rodney was 31 when he was signed. Wilson won't be 34 until October. But still to expect 3 more years, despite the contract is optimistic. I'll be shocked if he lasts 2 years here. I'm sure none of the last 2 years are guaranteed. But Rodney was 33 when we won in 2004 and still at the top of his game, and at that time only 9 months younger than Wilson.

2. Beyond being a strong dose of experience and leadership that this secondary desperately needs, I think BB will play to his strength, which is against the run. But while he's slow for a DB, he's still fast for compared to a LB. I can easily see HIM playing TE's as the coverage LB in a cover 2. At 6'2, 230 he's already better than anyone we've had doing that job the last 3 years.

In that Scenario we'd have some combination of McCourty and Gregory/TWilson playing safety. Talib (hopefully) and Dennard (hopefully) on the corners, with Arrington in the slot, while AWilson plays coverage LB on passing downs.

3. The more I write the more I'm liking this pick up.

4. But on a cautionary note. When it comes to vets, BB has no emotions. We can get excited about a lot of these guys and speculate about their effect, only to see them chopped in early September.

Because we have our FS and a reasonable backup and need a SS. Ed is the best FS of all time but is not a SS.

Ed Reed or McCourty that's a tough one. Sit McCourty on the bench if you have to.

Ok, a few minor points about this lore that Wilson was benched because he can't cover. You may remember that the Cardinals started 3-0 and then proceeded to lose 5 in a row. Whizenhut, desparate to save the team and his job, decided to make an example of Wilson and "benched" him in the Falcons game.

So, what exactly does "benching" mean in this context? He played only like 45 of 70 snaps, not all 70 like he usually did. After the game, Whizenhut famously said about benching one of the most popular athletes in the state of Arizona, that they were better in pass defense. "See it worked," or something like that.

The fact that they lost the freaking game didn't seem to matter all that much for Whiz the idiot. There is a reason the guy is not a head coach any more. The "improved" defensive Cardinals with Wilson sitting on the bench about 25 to 35 snaps a game proceeded to lose 6 out of 7, including 58-0 to the Seahawks. Of course, at that point, Whiz was locked in. And he stubbornly kept Wilson on the bench.

One might observe that before the "benching" of Adrian Wilson, the defense with him playing virtually every snap, among other things: (1) Held Russell Wilson to 18-34 for 151 yards, (2) held Brady to 28-46 passing, and (3) held teams to 20.8 points per game even though they had zero offense whatsoever and punted or turned the ball over on virtually every possession.

After the "benching" of Adrian Wilson, the supposedly improved Cardinals gave up 23 points per game.

Now, I'm not going to try to make the case that the Cardinals were a better pass defense team with Wilson in there. I don't think they were. And the game that led to the "benching" was a game where Alex Smith picked them apart with short passes and completely like 18 for 19 or something. But maybe 4 or 5 were in Wilson's vacinity.

I also have my eyes and I've seen Wilson play live perhaps 50 times, as a Cardinals season ticket holder. And there's no doubt that he seemed a step slower last year. But everyone step back from the cliff. He's a veteran player who hits hard and makes guys scared to come across the middle. The notion that he was some sort of weak link that teams exploited to beat the Cardinals passing defense is simply a fantasy. The true story is that he is a pro bowl player who is now 33 and no longer is as quick to the ball as he was when he was 28. Whizenhut was absolute idiot of a coach who caught lightening in a bottle one year to make the super bowl after going 8-8 in the regular season when all 4 of the top seeds dropped out of the NFC playoffs and the 5th seed Cardinals got to host an NFCCG. With players like Docket, Rolle, Boldin, Fitzgerald, and Kurt Warner he was able to win a couple of games in the playoffs. He's not a rocket scientist and the fact that he wanted to make a scapegoat out of the franchise player to save a 3-5 team and try to save his job doesn't make Wilson a bad player. He's mostly an idiot that wasn't a very good coach, and so holding the fact that he "benched" Wilson up there as evidence that he's a bad player is not the best evidence.

So, come back from the ledge everyone. Yes, we may want to sub sometimes on obvious passing downs. But this is a solid, strong, nasty, big, physical player that makes players on the other team want to go back to the locker room.

Thought that one of the deficits in our secondary last year was veteran leadership.. this fills part of this need.

During one game our secondary totaled 5 years experience.. that can only lead to disaster.. this is a good signing.

Ok, a few minor points about this lore that Wilson was benched because he can't cover. You may remember that the Cardinals started 3-0 and then proceeded to lose 5 in a row. Whizenhut, desparate to save the team and his job, decided to make an example of Wilson and "benched" him in the Falcons game.

So, what exactly does "benching" mean in this context? He played only like 45 of 70 snaps, not all 70 like he usually did. After the game, Whizenhut famously said about benching one of the most popular athletes in the state of Arizona, that they were better in pass defense. "See it worked," or something like that.

The fact that they lost the freaking game didn't seem to matter all that much for Whiz the idiot. There is a reason the guy is not a head coach any more. The "improved" defensive Cardinals with Wilson sitting on the bench about 25 to 35 snaps a game proceeded to lose 6 out of 7, including 58-0 to the Seahawks. Of course, at that point, Whiz was locked in. And he stubbornly kept Wilson on the bench.

One might observe that before the "benching" of Adrian Wilson, the defense with him playing virtually every snap, among other things: (1) Held Russell Wilson to 18-34 for 151 yards, (2) held Brady to 28-46 passing, and (3) held teams to 20.8 points per game even though they had zero offense whatsoever and punted or turned the ball over on virtually every possession.

After the "benching" of Adrian Wilson, the supposedly improved Cardinals gave up 23 points per game.

Now, I'm not going to try to make the case that the Cardinals were a better pass defense team with Wilson in there. I don't think they were. And the game that led to the "benching" was a game where Alex Smith picked them apart with short passes and completely like 18 for 19 or something. But maybe 4 or 5 were in Wilson's vacinity.

I also have my eyes and I've seen Wilson play live perhaps 50 times, as a Cardinals season ticket holder. And there's no doubt that he seemed a step slower last year. But everyone step back from the cliff. He's a veteran player who hits hard and makes guys scared to come across the middle. The notion that he was some sort of weak link that teams exploited to beat the Cardinals passing defense is simply a fantasy. The true story is that he is a pro bowl player who is now 33 and no longer is as quick to the ball as he was when he was 28. Whizenhut was absolute idiot of a coach who caught lightening in a bottle one year to make the super bowl after going 8-8 in the regular season when all 4 of the top seeds dropped out of the NFC playoffs and the 5th seed Cardinals got to host an NFCCG. With players like Docket, Rolle, Boldin, Fitzgerald, and Kurt Warner he was able to win a couple of games in the playoffs. He's not a rocket scientist and the fact that he wanted to make a scapegoat out of the franchise player to save a 3-5 team and try to save his job doesn't make Wilson a bad player. He's mostly an idiot that wasn't a very good coach, and so holding the fact that he "benched" Wilson up there as evidence that he's a bad player is not the best evidence.

So, come back from the ledge everyone. Yes, we may want to sub sometimes on obvious passing downs. But this is a solid, strong, nasty, big, physical player that makes players on the other team want to go back to the locker room.

Outstanding post. Great insight.

Ed Reed or McCourty that's a tough one. Sit McCourty on the bench if you have to.

Well if it would was 25 you'd have a point, but of course he's not, so you don't have a point.

Do we happen to have an Ed Reed on our roster.

You misunderstand. Notice the Ravens won the SB with a safety who couldn't cover his way out of a paper bag.

Look: I understand Wilson sucks in coverage. I trust BB to use him in such a way to maximize his talents and minimize his liabilities. If BB is a master of anything, it's that.

Hope we can get a couple good seasons out of him. Still think we should take a safety high in the draft, but I like this alot. Now get Talib and Abraham done, backup corner and coverage LB (who we may already have with GLass IR and Fletcher but still wouldn't be too tough to find), and this D is all but set.

I would add Ebner to the coverage LB/S list (against RB & TE's). I am saying "hopefully" but his STs skills makes him available for such work (he's on the 45) and I would expect him to improve yearly.

You misunderstand. Notice the Ravens won the SB with a safety who couldn't cover his way out of a paper bag.

Look: I understand Wilson sucks in coverage. I trust BB to use him in such a way to maximize his talents and minimize his liabilities. If BB is a master of anything, it's that.

Ed was good enough to cover for pollard we can't do that.If Bill is such a master why are we so atrocious in coverage.We need people who can cover. I'm sick of watching the same thing season after season.People can make all the excuses they want for these guys, but eventually these jags have to cover someone and its usually a miserable failure. In bill we trust is not going to cover Wrs and TE's.

Stamp-of-approval-pix-are-we-legit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back