PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Peterson VS Pats Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseMonkeys

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
This Sunday...Who will win? How do we stop that monster? It will probably be Vince and Deadrick/Cunningham at DE and Warren at NT. Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes will have to perform Sunday, and Mayo has looked pretty slick.

The tough part about Peterson is that he's just as capable of running it down a team's throat as he is bouncing it outside. I still think we'll keep Wilfork at end (depending on how we rate each Vikings O-Lineman), but Warren is going to have to be very stout to force Peterson into the arms of the big fellas.

Spikes and Mayo are going to have to have monster games as well. I think they can contain him, but it's going to be a test for sure.

I rather we find a way to force him to run in the middle than he taking it outside. I am afraid of Peterson.

I rather we find a way to force him to run in the middle than he taking it outside. I am afraid of Peterson.

That's why they put Wilfork at DE

He's going to get his yards. No stopping that.... he is a beast. Hope to limit it to a reasonable amount and put the pressure on their offense to be creative.

Unless he has a huge run that skews the numbers, I say the Pats hold him under 100.

Wright on the bench except for obvious passing downs. Heavy rotation of all other big bodies. Even Brace. Petersen will wear them all down. Not too many run blitzes with Moss and Harvin roaming?

I expect a big day for him. He's running better every week and has some momentum now after.

AP is in a league all of his own. No way we keep him under 100 yards. Patriots are giving up 3.8 ypc against the run, AP is averaging 4.9 ypc. So if he gets 25 reps which is very likely given Favre's injury he is highly likely to go over 100 yards.

This reminds me of when we use to play against LT. We knew that he would have a lot of yards but if you could slow him down you had a good chance of winning. We know AP will get his yards but hopefully we can keep him out of the endzone and make a beat up Favre or Jackson win the game.

Given the Vikings situation at QB, it seems the obvious area of strength for the Vikings is the running game. I personally would love to see Favre/Jackson consistently in 3rd and 5 or greater.

I'd bet that Wilfork will line up at either the right or left End position. My guess would be over the offensive left, since Hutchinson is likely the strength of their offensive line. At that point, AP will be forced to run middle/right where Mayo/Spikes will be able to snuff out many runs.

We'll see what happens, but if the Pats can contain AP, I think they are in for a good win.

Pats did a decent job vs. Rice and Matthews in recent weeks. I like the way the run D is rounding into form. If Favre doesn't play, the Pats can overplay the run and dare Tavaris Jackson to beat them...as long as the Pats cover Visanthe Shiancoe (TEs seem to go off on the Pats).

Regards,
Chris

AP is in a league all of his own. No way we keep him under 100 yards. Patriots are giving up 3.8 ypc against the run, AP is averaging 4.9 ypc. So if he gets 25 reps which is very likely given Favre's injury he is highly likely to go over 100 yards.

AP has only ran over 100 yards in three of his six games played. Dallas held him to 73 yards, the Jets held him to 88 yards, and the Saints held him to 87 yards. Only the Jets have a better run defense than the Pats based on yards allowed per game (the Pats are 9th, the Jets are 7th, the Saints are 16th, and the Cowboys are 21st). It isn't like Peterson is rushing for over 100 yards every game. He did rush 24 times vs. Dallas.

AP might get over 100 yards because the Vikes will need to rely on him more because either Favre will be playing on a bum leg or Jackson could be the starter. But if Peterson has a typical game from this year, there is a chance the Pats hold him under 100 yards.

Adrian will have at least one fumble.

The way the Pats are hitting, it may be more than that! Hopefully they can just scare the ball out of his arms.

Maybe I'm crazy but I like our Run D right now. I have AP as the #3 threat we need to worry about. with #1 being Jared allen and the williams wall. Our O-line looked pretty bad last week and light will have a tough matchup.

I think we can hold AP to under or just over 100. We could have problems in the screen game and short checkdowns with AP's skills and no Pat Chung is not a good combo.

I actually think we have an extremely underrated run defense. Most people think of a few games that mattered where they sucked but other than that, they have been solid.

I actually think we have an extremely underrated run defense. Most people think of a few games that mattered where they sucked but other than that, they have been solid.

True, we are actually ranked # 9 in that category right now. That impressed me. Its that pass defense we should be afraid of.

He is going to make whoever tackles him pay for it!
The thing is, with Favre and Childress, it seems like when they SHOULD be leaning on AP to grind out a game, they go to the air more and then turn it over. They are a complete mess that way.
A 5th grader could coach Tjack to hand off to AP 30 times a game and they'd easily win 8 games. Fortunately for us, not only has our run D looked much improved lately, but the history of the Vikes tells us that AP won't run us over like he should.

get a lead...force them to throw the ball..

I'm not worried about AP. He'll get his yards. I expect us to force Minny to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes