PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adopt a player / Brian Robinson, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am a DE/OLB from Texas, I need a good home. One where I can contribute on special teams in year 1, and then in years 2-4 I could work as part of a rotation at OLB. My daddy also thinks I am versatile enough to potentially play ILB like Mike Vrabel. If you take me into your home in round 3 (reach) or round 4 (value) I will pay you back with constant hustle and position flexibility.

Name: Brian Robison - College: Texas
Height: 6031 - Weight: 259
40 Yrd Dash: 4.67
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.49
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
Vertical Jump: 40 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'1"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.26
3-Cone Drill: 6.89

In 49 games at Texas, I started 36 times (three at inside linebacker, 33 at right end). I recorded 181 tackles (106 solos) with 15 sacks for minus-121 yards and 41 stops for losses totaling 171 yards. I also added 57 quarterback pressures, a two-yard interception return and eight pass deflections. I caused four fumbles and recovered two others, advancing one recovery nine yards. He also blocked six kicks.

In High School I was an all state (Texas) while playing LB.

My strengths are:
- linebacker experience dropping back into pass coverage, I could provide value standing up in a 3-4 alignment...Might not win all of his battles, but I have a hard charge chasing from the back-side, I display proper body lean off the corner...Adequate at flushing the quarterback out of the pocket and showed improvement in 2006 using hands to control and adjust off blocks.

My weaknesses are:
Some say I am not a viable option as a full-time linebacker, as I don't show the range to change direction and an instant and chase down plays along the sidelines... <<< I say look at my combine numbers to get a sense of what kind of athlete I am! >>>
Durability issues in 2006 limited his effectiveness (right knee and leg might need further medical evaluation). <<< I say my 2006 injury is the only reason you have a shot at me in round 2, in our 2005 national championship season I lead the team with 7 sacks >>>

I compare to BRYCE FISHER-Seattle <<< whoever that is >>>

Last edited:
You seem to have two personalities, will this affect your play? I also understood you to have started at ILB in high school, in addition to your three starts at Texas?

I've heard you...
...displays a thick lower torso, with strong, well-developed thighs and calves and has room on his frame to add at least another 10 pounds of bulk without it affecting his quickness...Has good knee bend and flexibility working down the line...Is a quick study with the playbook and has a good feel for blocking schemes...Active with his hands, getting them up quickly coming out of his stance to get into the blocker's chest...Plays with awareness and has no problems locating the ball in a crowd, despite his lack of ideal height...Effective at holding his ground vs. double teams due to his lower body power and strong anchor...When he keeps his hands active, he is effective at controlling blockers with good lock-out and extension...Struggles some to disengage, but when he does, he has adequate lateral quickness to make plays on the move...Shows good hand strength when he wraps and secures the ball carrier...Compensates for a lack of blazing speed by reading the play quickly to get into proper position to make the tackle (good at neutralizing the cutback lanes)...Has good swim and rip moves coming off the edge on the pass rush and uses his hands well to sidestep low blocks, keeping his balance when playing in space...Has great timing on his leaps and excels as a kick blocker on special teams...
...though your reported...
...lack of ideal size hurts him at times when combating double teams (can stack when he keeps his hands active, but lacks consistency pushing the blocker back)...Susceptible to reach and cut blocks, as he lacks the long arms to keep blockers from engulfing him... Tends to lose leverage when taking a blocker head-on...
...still, I'm happy to note you had a productive career...
Ranks 12th in school history with 41 tackles behind the line of scrimmage...His four blocked kicks in 2003 tied the school single-season record that was first set by Shane Dronett in 1991...His total of six blocked kicks during his career set a Longhorns all-time record.
I also thought you looked very fluid in linebacker drills at the combine, but need to borrow Asante's nerf ball.

Is it true you spell your name R O B I S O N one N? How weird is that? :p

So Brian...

You seem to be very athletic, evidenced by your 40 1/2 vertical jump, 6 blocked kicks, and record-holding track and field background. As the Big 12's defending outdoor champion in the shot put and the discus, do you plan on skipping track this spring to concentrate on the NFL draft.

"As far as this year, it's all about the NFL. Going to the NFL has been a dream of mine forever."

"I feel like I have a very good chance of getting my foot in the door. That's what I'm going to pursue this year."
I understand you'd like to resume your track workouts after you get established in the NFL and make a run at the 2008 Summer Olympics -- is this correct?

"I'm going to try and do both. If it doesn't work out I'll obviously have to go with the NFL and come back to track later."
Editor's note: One scout suggested Robison has a higher upside than former Texas defensive end Tony Brackens, who played nine seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars and appeared in a Pro Bowl. In addition, several New England Patriots' fans feel he has the potential to adequately replace Tully Banta-Cain, a former day two pick, where Robison is also projected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing