Welcome to PatsFans.com

Administration takes on the free press

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Now that the administration knows it can ignore the law and our ideals and spy on us, arrest us, even torture us, it is taking on its last big obstacle: the free press. The administration is playing the right-wing like a fiddle. The venom-spewing righties are sure to back the administration on this one, because the administration is specifically attacking the New York Times. That would not be the case if the administration went after the Wall Street Journal or LA Times, which published the same information.

With our phones tapped, our email read, and our bank records reviewed, there is now little difference between the tactics of our government and those of the former Soviet Union. Another common denominator is that the administration has in effect a government propaganda machine in Fox tv. Now, if Bush can reduce the power of the free press, we will have a dictorship that was similar to the Soviet one, where people could go about their daily lives as long as they did not challenge the government too much.

This attack on the free press is dangerous.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/06/26/snow-nyt/

(This link is to a liberal site, but the site features a transcript and video of Snow's press conference.)
  2. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

There was a great comment below the article which read:
    "Once we give the President all the power he says he needs to fight a war, what is there to stop a president from starting a war to get the power he wants?"
  3. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +251 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

You guys are so far off the ledge it's not even funny.

Taking the phones for example. If they want to have a list of people I've called so that if they determine I'm a terrorist they can find others in my cell - go right ahead. In fact, as a non terrorist I encourage it.
  5. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

While you're at it, PatsFaninEagleLand, you'd better include the Wall Street Journal (a well-known anti-Bush newspaper) and the Los Angeles Times, both of which carried the same story.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

It's the way they're doing it, BF. The administration runs the government with no oversight by the courts or anyone else. Sure, some of their moves might make sense, but some of them go overboard, and could threaten our freedom. Maybe you think GWB is honest, but what about Nixon or Clinton or someone else. What would they do with absolute power?
  7. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I didn't realize you took LSD back in the 60's.

Please read what you just posted slowly and carefully.

Are you being spyed on? Are you being tortured? Have you just been arrested? Are they Patriots talking about you when they are in the huddle?

Oh my god, my phone is being tapped? My email is being read? My bank records are being reviewed?

Now they know if I'm bring bread or milk home when my wife calls me at work.

You are right, it is like the old Soviet Union. Is Siberia nice this time of year?
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I was a little young to take acid in the '60s.

As I said to BF, perhaps you trust this administration, but would you have trusted Clinton or Nixon? The adminstration is making up laws and there is little or no oversight by even the courts. Even if their approach is not abused, as you seem to believe, that doesn't mean it's not setting a dangerous precedent.

Read carefully. I said our tactics are Soviet, not our punishment.

Perhaps it's a good time to post the words of Pastor Martin Niemöller:

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Your sounding a bit hysterical today Patters, that upset at the prospect of the Us winning the Iraq campaign?

The administration has ignored no laws (I will concede they have ignored the 'ideals' of the left, but that's what we elected him to do). This is just nonsense.

The administration is right to 'take on' the Times. The 'rights' of the press is not absolute, any more than the right of free speech is for any other citizen. You and I are not allowed to yell fire in a crowded theatre. Well IMO the Times just yelled 'fire' the were irresponsible and have increased the odds of a successful terrorist attack.

The administration has only called out the Times for their represhensible behavior, not threathened legal action, but the congress should hold hearings and call the Editor before congress (sorta like they did with Ken Lay).

Would FDR have been justified in arresting a newspaper editor who published the route and timing of a convoy of US troops during WW2? IMO this situation is comparable.

This was hilariouis, are you trying to sound more ridicilious than NEM or is this just tounge in cheek?:D
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Why are you avoiding the main point, which is the administration is launching a concerted attack against the media, using the NYT as its target so as to rally the right-wing troops. On the other issues, I was simply alluding to the point that the administration has claimed the right to ignore hundreds of laws. What would the administration have to do before you became alarmed? At what point would you say it had gone too far? Can you answer that?
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

The NYT takes shots at whoever they want, when they behave in a totally irresponsible manner they SHOULD get called out. I read the transcript of Snow's remarks, did I miss something, he made no mention of arresting someone for publishing that disgrageful article.

Are the editors of the NYT gods who are not to be questioned or challenged? Sounds like they can dish it out but not take it, pu**ies.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  12. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yes I would have trusted Clinton, Carter, Ford, Reagan, and HW Bush not to go over the line in any of that. There is a huge price to pay for it and they all, including GW Bush, know it. Nixon got paranoid and paid the price.

But, I don't trust the NY Times, Wash Post, or Boston Globe to keep national security secrets confidential so we don't tip off our enemies. They have proven it, many times.
  13. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Patters, I'd like to see a link to where American citizens have been tortured by order of this government.

I'll be waiting. Thanks
  14. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

You forgot about Guantanamo and the hustling away of people to other prisons...if the Soviet Union did these things, we'd have been outraged..
    BUT NOW..it's here..done in OUR name....and I think the American people need to know what is being done! If these were so essential to the "war on terror"..why didn't the administration include Congress in the process??? This is not a dictatorship, even though Bush seems to think it is.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Nixon? I don't trust Bush. He showed utter incompetence and dishonesty in the way he manipulated us into war with Iraq.

What about the LA Times and Wall Street Journal?
  16. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I want names of AMERICAN CITIZENS being tortured as Patters has put forth.

I'm still waiting.
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Gitmo is torture? not compared to any jail they would find themselves in in any other country in the middle east.
  18. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

So because it's not americans it's OK???
  19. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

you know this...first hand?? yes there are ones worse..the US ships many to prisons in Eastern Europe and around.. but if you don't think Gitmo is a large stain on this country..you are clueless..
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2005
  20. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Maybe the media needs to be slammed ... hard.

IMHO, they (left, right or center) are irresponsible and cannot be trusted. It seems to me that every major story begins its life as an inflammatory piece, only to become something completely different a few weeks later as facts are checked. Shouldn't the back-checking happen before and not after?

The line between reporting and editorialism has vanished. The press no longer accepts the responsibilities inherent in their field.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2005