PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adding receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinPats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
New Poster here...

I used to chat on the forum provided by the Patriots official website. I remember Des and a few others. Anyway, I've been lurking a bit and have been really impressed with the quality of the comments.

There's a thread about the possibility of the Pats going after Porter. I believe this could very well be true. I believe that they were asking about him before and ended up with Doug Gabriel in a likely steal in exchange for a 5th rounder.

Think about this, folks:

The team missed on several free agents (and others) that they were known to be interested in, namely, Deshea Townsend, Ty Law, Peerless Price, Joe Jerevicious (perhaps?); and they were clearly suprised at losing Vinatieri and David Givens. At the same time, I think the Branch situation spiralled out of their control, and it no doubt shocked them as much as it did the fans.

In the meantime, there was talk about the team going after Donte Stallworth until the Eagles snapped him up in a big trade.

It might be possible that the team is looking at Porter with a greater sense of urgency after being beaten to the punch on some of the free agents and potential trades. This might lead them to take a more aggressive stance in going after him.

If it were up to me (and I'm obviously no expert), I'd try and get David Patten from the 'Skins for a 6th rounder or so. He hasn't shown up in the box scores of any of the Redskin games to my knowledge.

We could get him a lot cheaper than we could Jerry Porter.

amazinPats said:
New Poster here...

I used to chat on the forum provided by the Patriots official website. I remember Des and a few others. Anyway, I've been lurking a bit and have been really impressed with the quality of the comments.

There's a thread about the possibility of the Pats going after Porter. I believe this could very well be true. I believe that they were asking about him before and ended up with Doug Gabriel in a likely steal in exchange for a 5th rounder.

Think about this, folks:

The team missed on several free agents (and others) that they were known to be interested in, namely, Deshea Townsend, Ty Law, Peerless Price, Joe Jerevicious (perhaps?); and they were clearly suprised at losing Vinatieri and David Givens. At the same time, I think the Branch situation spiralled out of their control, and it no doubt shocked them as much as it did the fans.

In the meantime, there was talk about the team going after Donte Stallworth until the Eagles snapped him up in a big trade.

It might be possible that the team is looking at Porter with a greater sense of urgency after being beaten to the punch on some of the free agents and potential trades. This might lead them to take a more aggressive stance in going after him.

If it were up to me (and I'm obviously no expert), I'd try and get David Patten from the 'Skins for a 6th rounder or so. He hasn't shown up in the box scores of any of the Redskin games to my knowledge.

We could get him a lot cheaper than we could Jerry Porter.

Welcome aboard
The problem with Pattern is his contract:D

Patten would be an OK addition. Kinda old, kinda mediocre, but who are we to be choosey when it comes to recievers. Personally I don't want to see Porter in New England. Don't really like the guy. Don't think he is a "Patriot's Guy", if that exists.

But like HAMMERMILL said, Patten's contract is a problem.

Patten has a good attitude and used to be our #2 receiver. Yes, he's older, but he knows our system. He could fill in until Chad Jackson learns the ropes.

I don't remember the contract numbers, but we could carry him for a year then release him! :p

Personally I think we are pretty good at receivers now. I think Doug is becoming more familiar with the offense, and will definitely be a good threat. I think Reche is more than enough to pick up Givens' production, with Troy and Chad coming in for some catches here and there.

If we do get Porter I won't have much of a problem with it, it just means more weapons for Brady :)

I think we're one receiver short. We need to add one more player. All it takes is an injury or two and we're hurting. I'd feel better with one more receiver on the team.

amazinPats said:
Patten has a good attitude and used to be our #2 receiver. Yes, he's older, but he knows our system. He could fill in until Chad Jackson learns the ropes.

I don't remember the contract numbers, but we could carry him for a year then release him! :p
you don't want to have to assume an unnecessary cap hit in 2007 when the pats could be major players in free agency.

MrBigglesWorth said:
you don't want to have to assume an unnecessary cap hit in 2007 when the pats could be major players in free agency.
Good point! Does anyone know Patten's contract numbers? It would be interesting to see if we can afford him. I just figure that Washington would trade him for little, as he hasn't been appearing in the box scores.

instead of spending money on a trade for somebody I'd rather see us use our cap space to lock up some of our guys currently headed for unrestricted free agency right now (asante, graham, koppen, take some of seymour's money off the books now, etc.) I think we have good depth at all of the positions atm (brady and receivers startin to jell, secondary held up in spite of injuries, linebackers look fine especially as we're switchin between the 4-3 and the 3-4.)

At this point, I think we can get by at WR. The position that has me worried is the secondary. why is it that every year we have so many injuries?

are there any teams that will soon be out of it that have a vet cb or S that we could go after? if GB loses a few more would they part with an Al harris?

we have plenty of room and if we cut anybody that we trade for, the 2007 cap hit wouldn't matter if we end up cutting them.

Right now, we've got four receivers on the team. We need one more at least.

amazinPats said:
Good point! Does anyone know Patten's contract numbers? It would be interesting to see if we can afford him. I just figure that Washington would trade him for little, as he hasn't been appearing in the box scores.

Welcome to the forum.

I think you've come up with a pretty good alternative to a high risk/high reward trade/signing. It wouldn't take Patten but a day or two to learn the new plays. He's a great lockerroom guy too. I'd rather see Patten out there than the likes of J. Smith, Childress, or Andrews that's for sure. Tom would like this move.

But the problem, like posted above, is the contract. Washington, you'd guess, would be eager to rid themselves of Patten's contract. Patten wouldn't mind coming back here as well. The questions are, would Patten renegotiate? And what would the cap hit be for the Skins? I would hope the answer to the first question is yes. The second one could be keeping the Redskins from making the move however.

Taking Patten back could be viewed as a regressive move on our part. Pioli and BB may be hesitant to trading even a low-round pick for 32-year old WR.

I started a thread about him last week, but Corey Bradford makes a lot of sense until Jackson is able to contribute fully. Just as depth we need one more receiver, if Bam isn't good enough, I say take a look at Bradford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes