Welcome to PatsFans.com

ADD - ADHD alternative and/or additional treatments

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by T-ShirtDynasty, Aug 11, 2006.

1. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Expanded from the Nootropics thread, some quick stuff for you NorthShore and others with ADD kids (or those with adult ADD).

Where to get EFAs? (Essential Fatty Acids) ...it's getting easier and easier these days. ANYTHING that has Flax oil is damn awesome. But good luck getting a kid to gulp down that stuff straight, hell I have a hard time with it (yes, I supplement Flax Oil daily). Look for Omega-3 eggs, SmartBalance Omega Natrual Peanut Butter (made with Flax oil... my kids and I eat it almost daily), any fish, but especially Tuna and Salmon. Cut out margarine (for a ton of reasons!!!) and replace with Smart Balance Buttery Spread, there's several varieties, but look for the one with Flax Oil.

Try to replace potato chips with nuts... peanuts are good, but almonds are awesome, this will help with the EFA issue, along with another issue in some other studies, namely getting rid of High GI (glycemic index) foods from the diet. (I'm looking for that study now). Along those same lines, replace breakfast cereal with Kashi brand cereals (can find at Walmart) with a bit of Splenda to taste. You can NEVER go wrong with real oatmeal, the less processed the better since it means a lower GI rating, steel cut oats, or regular Quaker Quick Oats are great. Splenda for sweetness, or even a little protein powder for flavor (my kids and I LOVE a little Rocky Road, or Cookies 'n Cream flavored whey powder mixed in with the oats). Plus, adding protein to it slows down the digestion of the carbs, which lowers the overall GI rating even more (to that end, natural peanut butter mixed into it works well and is tasty too).
    The magnesium thing really catches me eye... it keeps cropping up on research for my mother's diabetes, wife's depression and TMJ, and my insomnia and Night Terrors, and just about every where.

Turns out that we are getting much less (some say around 50%-70% less) magnesium from our grains than we did 100 years ago because of the overfarming and the nitrogen-rich fertilizer we use has lowered the magnesium levels in the soil. Combine that with the fact that most of us eat refined white flour, which removes the magnesium rich content from the flour, and you've got some serious dietary magnesium deficency as 'status normal' in American diets.

Increasing Magnesium in diets is as easy as replacing white flour/refined wheat products like bread and cereal with whole grain and whole wheat alternatives. and again, dump the chips in favor of magnesium-rich almonds. Even that may not be enough though (because of the soil issue) so when supplimentation is desired, look for magnesium supps that use something other than Magnesium Oxide (which has very low bioavailablity) and go with Magnesium aspartate, malate, or citrate.

More later. :)

2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Re: ADD - ADHD alternative and/or additional treatment

This is great information to share, thanks.
    I like the fatty acids and magnesium approach much better than just telling parents to feed their kids anti-depressants all day.

3. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'll just say that magnesium is probably only PART of the answer. There has been a lot of evidence regarding nutritional interventions and cognitive/behavioral disorders, but it is far from the only answer. Behavioral modification therapy has also shown to be effective.

I would be very, very leery of any kind of study or group that suggests a "one-shot" cause or solution to any kind of complex disease. Especially something like ADD/ADHD, where there is almost certainly an overestimation of cases, due to changes in the case definition.

I agree with you about the refined food issue- I think that it is at the center of the nutritional/obesity problem in this country. But when someone starts spouting "nutritional deficiency" and "this will help you fix it" - well, it just starts sounding like BALCO to me.

4. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Absolutely it might be only part of the issue. There's no way it's a one-shot answer (which is why I hate the throw 'em on Adderall and ferget 'em approach)... believe me there's lots to look at, I've got about 13 issues of The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that have specific ADD/ADHD research in them, the ones I've been able to lay my hands on have mostly all dealt with EFAs and Whole Grains (which would tie in with the Glycemic Index issue and the Magnesium issue... oh, plus the Zinc issue also cited above). I doubt I'll be able to getall of them, but there seems to be just a few repeating themes, all from varied research sources.

Also worth looking into is DMAE... which would lead to having to look into the role of choline in ADD/ADHD (since it's a precursor of choline).

Some interesting, and well referenced info on ADD from the Swedish Medical Center, be sure to check out the link from there to the DMAE article, the Zinc and Magnesium articles (again with the whole grains!).

5. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If ya want articles, send me the citations and I can get them for you. There's also a journal out there called the ADHD Report, but I don't know much about it. It seems like the ADHD folks I work with don't publish too much. . .

It really bugs the crap outta me that many people just want quick answers to these things. Similar to obesity and heart disease- they just want a pill to make it all better.

6. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

That's awesome! Thank you very much, very very much. There's nothing more frustrating than only being able to look over the friggin' abstracts. I gotta get back to my real work :singing:but I'm going to take you up on that soon. The ADHD stuff is just some info that Northshore asked about, which I've come across while researching other stuff. There is some research on GABA and depression, as well as some stuff on 5-HTP and DHEA that I'm really dying to get my hands on, I'll have to track down the citations.

Thank you again for the kind offer!