PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adams over Brace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adams over Brace ?

What we know (based on BB's own words) is that Pryor plays with an impressively mature technique and understanding of leverage for a rookie. We also know by inference and observations like Fred Smerlas's that Brace does not. All that means is that Pryor is ready to contribute now, and Brace is not. Technique is something that can be taught. We may find in two years that Pryor will have achieved all that he's capable of in his rookie year and that Brace continues to develop for a half-dozen years, because as he learns, he is able to use his superior physical skills to his advantage. Perhaps not, but we certainly don't know for certain.

Precisely. Pryor is obviously a quick learner, but he's still a 7th rounder. How can we know that 3 years down the road Pryor wouldn't have peaked to anything more than solid while Brace hits his stride? I'm not saying it will, or I think it will, I'm just saying it can go either way.

This pick will be worse than the Kevin O'Connell pick. I'll happily eat crow if I am wrong, but let's deal with reality instead of assumptions.

How you manage to reconcile "dealing with reality instead of assumptions" with the first part of your sentence is beyond me.

Let's deal with the facts that we know are for certain:

Pryor, a 7th (?) round pick is playing ahead of Brace.

Adams, someone we just picked up off the streets got activated over Brace.

Brace is not hurt. But he isn't even being activated.

While it is a possibility that Brace could develop into a stud DT, the only plausible conclusion we can make as of now based on what we know are for certain, is that Brace is a waste of a pick.

I shouldn't be this way... I should look at arguments in a vacuum, but I can't help it... none of your opinions matter to me as long as you keep your current avatar.

Just as an FYI, Brace turns 23 tomorrow.

Disturbing to see that Brace's "education" does not include reps on the field. Lord knows the PATS D'line could use a blow on occasion and another fresh set of legs would be usefull

Apparenty figuring out whether to lean left or right at the snap is beyond his comprehension.

I'm sure another 2 years on the payroll will cure all ills :rolleyes:

Can't let facts get in the way of your slamming Brace.. Please note the parts in RED..

If it takes 3 years before you can judge a pick (unless they are cut ala Bruce Davis, Chad Jackson, Kevin O'Connell), how can you say its a waste of a pick? Especially when the Pats are KNOWN for bringing along their top defensive line picks at a slow pace.

I'm not slamming Brace, I'm just calling it as it is. We needed another healthy body to fill depth for our game day roster and we chose to go after a guy that wasn't good enough to be on anyone's roster. Yes, Adams knows the system, but he is strictly filling active roster depth. The fact that we can't even rely on Brace for that role is very telling on his development and what the coaches think of him.

Yes, we do bring our DL guys along slowly, but the guys that did become eventual contributors did play more than Brace has up to this point of their first year. Hell, even Le Kevin Smith saw more action than Brace up to this point and he had to deal with a deeper roster in front of him.

Again this guy could develop into a stud DL, but there's absolutely nothing other than hope that tells us he will.

BTW Deus, if he does blow up to epic fatness, he'll easily surpass KOC as the worst pick ever. At least KOC was active and trusted to be our backup QB:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

I'm not slamming Brace, I'm just calling it as it is. We needed another healthy body to fill depth for our game day roster and we chose to go after a guy that wasn't good enough to be on anyone's roster. Yes, Adams knows the system, but he is strictly filling active roster depth. The fact that we can't even rely on Brace for that role is very telling on his development and what the coaches think of him.

Yes, we do bring our DL guys along slowly, but the guys that did become eventual contributors did play more than Brace has up to this point of their first year. Hell, even Le Kevin Smith saw more action than Brace up to this point and he had to deal with a deeper roster in front of him.

Again this guy could develop into a stud DL, but there's absolutely nothing other than hope that tells us he will.

BTW Deus, if he does blow up to epic fatness, he'll easily surpass KOC as the worst pick ever. At least KOC was active and trusted to be our backup QB:rolleyes:.

KOC was a 3rd round draft pick that was never going to even have a chance to start for the team, barring injury. He was, at best, going to be a backup player who'd be moved for a 1st or 2nd round pick, and that was at the very best, from the inception of the pick. Brace, at his 'worst', was going to be a backup player getting snaps.

Brace could spend the next 10 years doing nothing but stuffing himself on pure lard, and he'd still have been a better pick. The reasoning behind the pick alone makes that the case, for me.

He wasn't even trusted to be the backup. He was forced into it by Brady's injury, and then lost his job to an undrafted rookie during training camp. I have to agree with Deus, it turned out to be a really bad pick.

He wasn't even trusted to be the backup. He was forced into it by Brady's injury, and then lost his job to an undrafted rookie during training camp. I have to agree with Deus, it turned out to be a really bad pick.

He was our backup for an entire friggin year! Don't get me wrong, I think he was an epic draft failure, but what the hell were the coaches thinking when we went into the second week of the 08 season and were one play away from KOC being our starting QB and no other option beyond him. Pretty remarkable.

Last edited:

Brace is behind Wilfork, Warren, Green, and Wright who are not too bad in their own right.

The point I am trying to make is just because a player is seemingly benched while others jump over him on the depth chart does not always translate into a lost cause.

you forgot to mention pryor and adams on that list

fact is, he ain't doing anything.........as the great bill parcells said 'potential means you ain't done nothing yet'

fact is, if he had anything to offer, practice squad guys like titus adams would not be jumping over him.

even without any grasp of the defense, if the guy had it in his body, he could go in there and clog up the middle on 5-10 plays per game. the fact that titus adams gets reps after getting called up, says there are reps to be had, but he's nowhere to be found......a healthy scratch

What if, if, Pryor is just having a shockingly ly effective season and we give him credit instead of hold it against Brace? I mean man, you guys know how to take the good and twist it into some kind of negativity. "Pryor's good, but man that must mean Brace sucks!"

I'm not thrilled at Brace's season either. But to call him a bust is silly. That's like me saying Eugene Wilson was a HOFer after two excellent years to begin his career.

Maybe Brace is behind Pryor because he's a slow learner and Pryor is that good. We can't make this conclusion yet. We can't say Brace sucks for the same reason we couldn't call Eugene Wilson a HOFer. You honestly can't give an honest evaluation on a draft pick unless they're 3+ year into their career or near the end of their tenure with a team.

I'm not blindly defending Bill, I have no reason because it damn sure wouldn't help me sleep at night. I'm simply saying give the kid time. Also, enough with all the BB sucks at drafting. Show me a team that's drafted a lot better than the Patriots since 2001.

the fact that he is getting nowhere near the field and titus adams is getting reps says something bad about brace.

They also drafted Butler, Chung, and Vollmer in that same second round, who have all been contributing.

Looks better when you don't cherry pick the facts, doesn't it?

Second rounders are generally a 50/50 shot anyway, otherwise they would be 1st rounders. BB is pretty close to that ratio I believe, and his 1st round track record is exceptional (especially considering he generally drafts in the later half).

They also passed up Clay Matthews. I'll take him over 2 mediocre DB's who are being roasted weekly.

Last edited:
They also passed up Clay Matthews. I'll take him over 2 mediocre DB's who are being roasted weekly.

Which two DBs drafted are "being roasted weekly"?

you forgot to mention pryor and adams on that list

fact is, he ain't doing anything.........as the great bill parcells said 'potential means you ain't done nothing yet'

fact is, if he had anything to offer, practice squad guys like titus adams would not be jumping over him.

even without any grasp of the defense, if the guy had it in his body, he could go in there and clog up the middle on 5-10 plays per game. the fact that titus adams gets reps after getting called up, says there are reps to be had, but he's nowhere to be found......a healthy scratch

James Harrison received almost zero reps his first year.

James Harrison received almost zero reps his first year.

being an undrafted free agent behind gildon, porter, and bell on the number one defense in the NFL will cause that. why do you think they let vrabel walk?

Tanked. Its seems like you have a vested interest in this kid being a bust, like you'll get some kind of a payday if he's out of football next year? I just don't get it!
There is no doubt that he has started slow. However, to say that the kid is a failure and that we won't get anything out of him, seems pointless.

Good chance we will get a glimpse of him Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes