PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AdamJT13 comp. pick projections: At least three 7ths, possibly one 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
AdamJT13: Early comp pick projections for 2010, Part IV

He is usually spot-on with his projections.

If he is correct, and we should know within the next couple of months, then the Patriots will have either six or seven 7th round picks in the 2010 Draft: their own, the one acquired in the Lewis trade (traded to Denver, traded back to NE), and the three-to-four compensatory picks. The compensatory picks are not tradeable and will come at the end of the 7th round. In other words, they will give the Pats a head start on signing UDFAs.

Last edited:
With 7th round hits like Cassel and Edlelman it seems like a good thing

If he is correct, and we should know within the next couple of months, then the Patriots will have either six or seven 7th round picks in the 2010 Draft: their own, the one acquired in the Lewis trade (traded to Denver, traded back to NE), and the three-to-four compensatory picks. The compensatory picks are not tradeable and will come at the end of the 7th round. In other words, they will give the Pats a head start on signing UDFAs.

Is that Greg Lewis in that trade you mention?

What did we get for LeKevin Smith.

Is that Greg Lewis in that trade you mention?

What did we get for LeKevin Smith.

NE 5 to TB for Alex Smith [meh]
NE 5 from last year to PHI for Greg Lewis + PHI 7
LeKevin Smith + PHI 7 to DEN for DEN 5
DEN 5 + NE 3 to OAK for Derrick Burgess [meh]
Russ Hochstein to DEN for PHI 7

Last edited:
Great.... More low end draft picks that won't make the team so that the people who don't actually pay attention will be able to point to "all the picks that failed".

Thanks mate.

Really appreciated.

I was on holiday (vacation) when the Burgess trade went on and everything got jumbled together from then on. Especially the trades at the end of the year with people moving everywhere

I agree that no one should ever be even considering 6th and 7th round picks as failures. Any players that even make the Practice Sqwuad are bonuses. And it is true that Belichick has done extremely well in finding a player or two with these picks and in signing UDFA's.

QUOTE=Deus Irae;1689180]Great.... More low end draft picks that won't make the team so that the people who don't actually pay attention will be able to point to "all the picks that failed".[/QUOTE]

Right. The funny thing is, I don't think we ever got confirmation that it was actually the PHI 7 involved in those Denver deals. We just assumed it, but it may have actually been the Pats' 7. Or the Pats' 7 and then the Broncos 7 coming back. Or the Eagles' 7 and the Broncos' 7 coming back.

Last edited:
Great.... More low end draft picks that won't make the team so that the people who don't actually pay attention will be able to point to "all the picks that failed".

Hopefully there are 2 WR conversion projects and a developmental QB the Pats can take with those picks.

Right. The funny thing is, I don't think we ever got confirmation that it was actually the PHI 7 involved in those Denver deals. We just assumed it, but it may have actually been the Pats' 7. Or the Pats' 7 and then the Broncos 7 coming back. Or the Eagles' 7 and the Broncos' 7 coming back.

Well, at the time, Reiss reported that the Pats currently have PHI's 7 and their own. In any case, the Pats have two of the three, and I wouldn't mind if it were DEN's instead of NE's. :) [Of course, it doesn't actually matter much.]

Last edited:

Given how the season went we're talking about 2 or 3 slots difference there.

Julian Edelman
Matt Cassel
Tully Banta-Cain
David Givens

Julian Edelman
Matt Cassel
Tully Banta-Cain
David Givens

It reminds me of Press Your Luck (or Whammy! for younger game show fans):

Last year:

Belichick: "Big value, big value, no Gholstons. . . . STOP!"

Peter Tomarken: "Julian Edelman, wide receiver, Kent State!"

Belichick pump fists.

This year:

Peter Tomarken: "OK, Bill, you have four picks you have to take, and two more that you can trade. . . ." :)

Great Blue North Draft Report

They are usually pretty good, I think that the Pats sent their 7th and LeKevin for the Bronco's 5 which then forwarded on to the Raiders..

So The Pats have

Their 1st (22), 2nd (54), 4th, 6th, & 7th

Plus comp picks in the 6th, and 3 more in the 7th (which are untradeable)

Plus Jacksonville's 2nd (42 or 44, depending on a coin flip)

and Tennessee's 2nd (47 or 48, depending on a different coin flip)

and Philly's 7th.

Which brings us to a grand total of 13 draft picks in the upcoming draft four of which will be in the top 54 picks, and seven of which will be in rounds 6 and 7.

I think that the new draft format will actually help the Pats. Assuming that they stay put on Thursday night (round One), everyone and his brother will be calling the Pats between the end of the first round Thursday night and the beginning of the second round on Friday night, looking to move in and out towards a specific player. I think the break in time will bring many more trades in the second round than we have seen.

AdamJT13 is a Patsfan member so give him some props if he posts, he does alot of work with these comp picks and he is almost always spot on.

Last edited:

Am I missing another 7th-rounder somewhere, or does my math not give me either 5 or 6 7th-rounders?

Either way, Bill will not have a lack of ammunition as an excuse for yet another poor draft.

Am I missing another 7th-rounder somewhere, or does my math not give me either 5 or 6 7th-rounders?

Either way, Bill will not have a lack of ammunition as an excuse for yet another poor draft.

No, your math is correct. I need to go back to third grade, apparently.

Hopefully there are 2 WR conversion projects and a developmental QB the Pats can take with those picks.

I'd take them and be happy, but it wouldn't satisfy the draft banshees.

Didn't we get a 7th for Dave Thomas?

Yeah. . . . in 2011.

Which we would have given up if Michael Matthews actually did something...or Prescott Burgess, but we never found out if that was a conditional 2010 or 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots