PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam vs. Ryan Longwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

smg93

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I did some research through nfl.com and found these 2005 and career stats for both these kickers.

A.V.- 6' 0", 202 lbs.
R.L. - 6'0", 200 lbs.

Kicking:

both are perfect from inside 19 yards throughout their careers

from 20 -29 AV is 96%, RL is 92%

from 30 -39 AV is 83%, RL is 87%

from 40 - 49 AV is 71%, RL is 72%

from 50+ AV is 47%, RL is 59%

Total kicks in career AV is 81.9%, RL is 81.6% ( if you multiplied the percentage difference by RL's number of total kicks of 277 in his career, that only equates to about one more kick made by AV,

Kickoffs

In 2005 AV's avg is 61.7 Yards, Net is 39.8 Yards
In 2005 RL's avg is 60.9 Yards, Net is 39.3 Yards

Career AV's avg is 62.4 Yards, Net is 40.9 Yards
Career RL's avg is 61.1 Yards, Net is 39.7 Yards

The POINT of this exercise is not to say who is better than whom. AV obviously has the edge in terms of being Mr. Clutch in Playoffs, no question about that. But in terms of 2005 and Career stats, they match up quite favorably. I'd love to have Adam back but if he goes somewhere else, like GB for example, Ryan Longwell might be a good fit for us. Plus, he'll probably come here for less money which means more cap space for us.

Last edited:
Most people are going to make the argument that Longwell hasn't made the clutch kicks so therefore he's not as good as Adam. I happen to disagree and actually hope this is the guy that we bring in. He's had plenty of experience with kicking in bad weather up in Green Bay.

Adam kicking to win the Superbowl in the last ten seconds of the game:
2 field goals made, none missed

Everyone else: 0- for

Longwell is a decent kicker, but anyway you look at it, losing Adam will suck

sorry guys, posted this whole thing before I was finished doing the stats by mistake. Have edited my first post just now to reflect what I intended to say. Thanks

I really don't need to look at the stats. My first choice is to resign Adam. If we can't do that then bring Longwell in.

Vanderjerk is not an option.

FreeTedWilliams said:
Adam kicking to win the Superbowl in the last ten seconds of the game:
2 field goals made, none missed

Everyone else: 0- for

Longwell is a decent kicker, but anyway you look at it, losing Adam will suck

I have to disagree. You really believe that nobody else in the NFL could make a 45 yd fg in perfect weather conditions? The only kick Adam made that I can't see anyone else making is the kick in the snow bowl.

Jeez, I knew this was gonna happen! This thread's going to turn out to be an argument about who's more clutch. :D We can argue about that till we're blue in the face but we'd never know who really would be when judging solely from stats.

The point again of this whole post is to say that there are so many fans who believe that not re-signing Adam would put the PATS in panic mode. I don't believe that to be the case because there are other options out there. HOWEVER, I will say that my first option would be to try and get Adam back even if it means keeping him as the highest paid kicker in the league (as long as it doesn't totally kill our cap space).

Last edited:
huskeralk said:
I have to disagree. You really believe that nobody else in the NFL could make a 45 yd fg in perfect weather conditions? The only kick Adam made that I can't see anyone else making is the kick in the snow bowl.
At the risk of being accused of piling on, I agree. I love Adam and want him back. And he's been a great clutch kicker. Remember, though, that both of his Super Bowl winners were in a tie game. Kicking the FG down by one to win or lose vs. win or go to O.T. is a vastly different thing.

smg93 said:
Jeez, I knew this was gonna happen! This thread's going to turn out to be an argument about who's more clutch. :D We can argue about that till we're blue in the face but we'd never know who really would be when judging solely from stats.

The point again of this whole post is to say that there are so many fans who believe that not re-signing Adam would put the PATS in panic mode. I don't believe that to be the case because there are other options out there. HOWEVER, I will say that my first option would be to try and get Adam back even if it means keeping him as the highest paid kicker in the league (as long as it doesn't totally kill our cap space).
Pats' fans in panic mode, perish the thought. :rolleyes:

I guess we better start getting ready for the were better off without Adam threads...

Sean Pa Patriot said:
I guess we better start getting ready for the were better off without Adam threads...

I don't think we're better off without him but for over $3 million a year, I definately don't want him.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
I don't think anyone is saying that but it is what it is and a Super Bowl winning kick in a tie game is different than a Super Bowl winning kick when your team is behind.

Now, the tying game vs. the Raiders in the Snow Bowl - that was sick.

smg93 said:

I agree and if the Pats are doing that then Adam needs to be a team player as well if he wants to stay with the Pats if not I guess he wants to make a
big payday so then we would have to look at other options and the liquored up kicker is not one of them as was stated earlier.

I wonder how well Adam V or Longwell would kick if half their games are inside? We'd take either one in Indianapolis but we probably don't have the cash for either.

I believe if Adam was smart he should resign with the Patriots so he can increase his "hometown hero" status for other financial gains. He won't have those same opportunites at a place where he hasn't done anything yet.

huskeralk said:

Go watch the Tennessee and Colt 2003 playoff games again please.

I want Adam back, period. That said, if he leaves, Ryan Longwell is BY FAR my top choice to replace him. He's been a good, solid kicker, playing games outside and, quite often, in foul weather.

fgssand said:
Go watch the Tennessee and Colt 2003 playoff games again please.

That is 2 kickers, that leaves another 29 starting kickers. None of them would make those kicks either? I tend to think that some of them would.

Well here we go again for what it seems the 100 time in 10 days. "he's a clutch kicker", "no he's not, anyone can do that" blah, blah blah.

sucks12.jpg

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
Well here we go again for what it seems the 100 time in 10 days. "he's a clutch kicker", "no he's not, anyone can do that" blah, blah blah.

It really can't be helped. The only reason anyone has for keeping him at ANY cost is because of a kick he made 5 years ago that IMO could have been made by probably 10 other kickers.

PATSNUTme said:

Which is a shame because the initial post was perfectly reasonable: in case Adam leaves, here's a close look at an alternative. Especially reasonable since there are no standout kickers in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes