PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Shefter Tweets "DeSmith told players plan is to decertify"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Shefter Tweets

The NFL is incorporated in New York. There's something called the Taylor Law here which keeps CBAs in place when a new CBA is not agreed to.

I believe the law you are referencing is for public unions. With the NFLPA decertified, the players are neither public nor unionized.

I still don't understand why the owners should lockout the players Just play the games under the best offer from the owners (which, as I understand it, is what is allowed in these circumstances).

There was an editorial in the Wall Street Journal about this last year and it argued strongly that a lockout was a bad thing for the owners. I wish I knew where it was because I'd like to read it again.

All I can say is EFF RODGER GOODELL.

Yes, and DeSmith also. It seems that De Smith didn't want a deal reached and the plan was to decertify all along. The egos of these two are preventing anything from getting done. This is further proof that Goodell is an incompetent noob and desrves to go. When this thing is finally settled, I hope the owners get together and fire his sorry butt, after giving him his one dollar paycheck.

What I found most disconcerting was information I read regarding De Smith from league insiders on ProFootballWeekly.com. Apparently those who know him think he's just using this as an opportunity to grandstand for an eventual political campaign.

Which is why I think it's such a shame Gene Upshaw passed away so suddenly. He was a great player's rep who understood how to get the most out of the greedy owners. He seemed to understand that work stoppages only hurt the game and consequently, the players. I think Upshaw knew this because he was a player himself. Not like this jackass.

What I found most disconcerting was information I read regarding De Smith from league insiders on ProFootballWeekly.com. Apparently those who know him think he's just using this as an opportunity to grandstand for an eventual political campaign.

Which is why I think it's such a shame Gene Upshaw passed away so suddenly. He was a great player's rep who understood how to get the most out of the greedy owners. He seemed to understand that work stoppages only hurt the game and consequently, the players. I think Upshaw knew this because he was a player himself. Not like this jackass.

Could be, but I would not believe everything I read. It's all being scripted.

I believe the law you are referencing is for public unions. With the NFLPA decertified, the players are neither public nor unionized.
Also, although it is often referred to as the "union", technically the NFLPA is not a union; it is a "player's association". Each individual still negotiates his own contract, for example. For legal purposes the NFLPA is not considered a union.

Steelers owner Art Rooney just said "The NFL Owners put a very fair offer on the table that we felt provided the framework for completing an agreement. We do not believe the decertification of the Players Association is a legitimate bargaining tactic and we have asked the National Labor Relations Board to review the conduct of the Players Association."

Steelers owner Art Rooney just said "The NFL Owners put a very fair offer on the table that we felt provided the framework for completing an agreement. We do not believe the decertification of the Players Association is a legitimate bargaining tactic and we have asked the National Labor Relations Board to review the conduct of the Players Association."

So far, everything is going as expected. The rulings (lockout injunction/NLRB complain) will now set the table. McCann from SI puts for the possibility that the players win the injunction if the players temporarily withdraw the decertification papers so that the NLRB is removed from the equation.

Last edited:

Also, although it is often referred to as the "union", technically the NFLPA is not a union; it is a "player's association". Each individual still negotiates his own contract, for example. For legal purposes the NFLPA is not considered a union.

I'm not sure what the parameters are for these sorts of distinctions, but I'm part of a union and I do indeed negotiate my own contract. I wonder what the difference is.

Its very unlikely there will be a 2011 season.

The NFLPA will decertify, sue the owners and the owners will counter sue the players. Lawyers get paid by the hour.

Correction:

Lawyers get paid by what they say is their hours. This is certified and approved by other brother lawyers working for the Judges; or panels of Lawyers acting as Bar ethics committees.

And we all know that all Lawyers are above all Honest and Trustworthy, just like Eagle Boy Scouts....

Article LVII, Section 3(b) of the CBA, which states as follows: “The Parties agree that, after the expiration of the express term of this Agreement, in the event that at that time or any time thereafter a majority of players indicate that they wish to end the collective bargaining status of the NFLPA on or after expiration of this Agreement, the NFL and its Clubs and their respective heirs, executors, administrators, representatives, agents, successors and assigns waive any rights they may have to assert any antitrust labor exemption defense based upon any claim that the termination by the NFLPA of its status as a collective bargaining representative is Article LVII, Mutual Reservation of Rights: Labor Exemption or would be a sham, pretext, ineffective, requires additional steps, or has not in fact occurred.”

I believe there is also language in the CBA that Florio and others were citing which precludes the union from decertifying for 6 months after the expiration of the CBA. This was the basis for the will they, they must arguments last week. After the CBA expires Doty is history. The union apparently chose to attempt to file their decertification and law suits before they lost Doty. In the process they may have lost both their defense against the sham argument and the basis for their anti trust cases until September 12.

Seems to me if the owners were to go the route of replacement players and those players have a new union ... then the NFLPA really would have no leg to stand on at that point. wouldn't it be interesting to see 2 unions representing the players instead of the one ... well right now there is none or is there one decertified?

the product would be lessened for a few years but as more and more college players go through the draft the product would return to normal. Imagine a bunch of scrubs getting 40% or so ... outrageous to say but interesting.

Last edited:
Seems to me if the owners were to go the route of replacement players and those players have a new union ... then the NFLPA really would have no leg to stand on at that point. wouldn't it be interesting to see 2 unions representing the players instead of the one ... well right now there is none or is there one decertified?

the product would be lessened for a few years but as more and more college players go through the draft the product would return to normal. Imagine a bunch of scrubs getting 40% or so ... outrageous to say but interesting.
If I'm not mistaken, because there is a lockout then the teams cannot use replacement players; that's not an option this time.

On a separate note, Pete Kendall blasts the owners and raises some interesting points.

Kendall says owners statements are 'completely false'

"The people on the players' side were more than willing to sit down with ownership and be convinced of the real problems. The only way the owners could convince the players was to demonstrate it. Not just say it. The owners said 'trust us.' After everything revealed in the lockout insurance case, how could we do that? Now we have a lockout. So who got what they were positioning for?"

"The NFL said they offered us unprecedented financial disclosure? Let's stop right there. Where are they moving from on that financial disclosure? From zero as it relates to non-player costs and all of the issues we sought clarity on."

"For them to move to show us league-wide profitability over five years? And to tell us simply the number of clubs had declined in profitability - declined in profitability - not suffered losses. They were going to give us two numbers and they call that unprecedented financial disclosure. Well, yes, I guess that's technically true. Is it substantial? Is it sufficient? Is it meaningful? Our business people told us no. Some owners maintained for a long time that the business people needed to be involved. Ours said that those numbers weren't sufficient. Regardless of if they were unprecedented or not."

"We were more than willing to agree to confidentiality in that. The results could have been blinded so we didn't know which teams were declining in profitability."

"The week of extension was a week that went backwards. From where we were on Thursday as the deadline approached to where we were yesterday, we went backwards. Personally, I was disappointed with the level of involvement from ownership."

There's a lot more, so check out the full column here: Kendall says owners statements are 'completely false' | Tom Curran | CSNNE.com; in addition there will be a part two of Curran's interview with Kendall coming soon.

Kendall "The week of extension was a week that went backwards. From where we were on Thursday as the deadline approached to where we were yesterday, we went backwards. Personally, I was disappointed with the level of involvement from ownership."

Well Bob Kraft, Mr Conciliator was busy away overseas on a boondoggle with Governor Patrick

I'd watch Brady and Rodgers play in the UFL for the next 5 years, instead, while the NFL imploded.

There are obvious reasons why the NFL owners would never let it come to this. The value of their franchises would crater.

I wonder why everyone is still arguing at this point.

The two sides are $200 million apart.

They should split the difference.

Why are we having this discussion on this board at this point?

Correction:

Lawyers get paid by what they say is their hours. This is certified and approved by other brother lawyers working for the Judges; or panels of Lawyers acting as Bar ethics committees.

And we all know that all Lawyers are above all Honest and Trustworthy, just like Eagle Boy Scouts....
That reminds me about that joke about lawyers. A lawyer walks into a bar...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back