PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Shefter says Josh McDaniels will NOT interview for HC jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, Bedard said on TV tonight that he's heard rumblings that Belichick has extended his contract beyond 2013. But, of course, there's no way for us to actually know.

I can't give you conclusive proof of any extension. I can, however, suggest that you find a way to listen to the interview Jonathan Kraft had on 98.5 tonight, if they ever put it up on the site.

I can't give you conclusive proof of any extension. I can, however, suggest that you find a way to listen to the interview Jonathan Kraft had on 98.5 tonight, if they ever put it up on the site.
So are you saying Kraft hinted that Belichick's contract does go beyond 2013 or what ???

So are you saying Kraft hinted that Belichick's contract does go beyond 2013 or what ???

I'm saying that it sure seemed like that to me. His dismissal of the notion that McDaniels is not interviewing this year because of a coach-in-waiting situation, combined with his adamantly talking about the close ties BB has to the team made it seem that BB was under contract for some longer period of time.

Here's why:

1.) Many of his mistakes were the sort that a first time HC makes.

2.) Many of his other mistakes were the sort that a man trying to be someone else makes. He supposedly learned from that.

3.) He's been proven right (at least to an extent) about Tebow, Cutler and Marshall, and his 2nd draft was a darned good one.

4.) From what I've heard, those in the know realize that he got a raw deal and that the problems in Denver were by no means all on him.

5.) He's done some very impressive things with this offense this year, despite the claims of some of the resident OC wannabes.

I personally think he should wait another season or two, and that he should only move on if he can get a team that already has a QB, but I can see why he might be tempted.

Agreed, to an extent. I think that the next team that hires him will be one with a strong and established presence at GM, which will help him out some. Put in the right situation, I would expect him to succeed in his second opportunity.

Felger and MazzHole thinking they are the tip of the spear on the story ... :rofl:

Last edited:
I caught a segment of that Felger and Mazz show. Here's my take. I agree with Felger that its fair to speculate that McDaniels came here with the understanding that he's the heir apparent. It just makes too much sense. What I totally disagreed with him though, was his insistent that if BB isn't retiring after the 2013 season (and I don't think he is), McDaniels is an idiot for not looking into HC'ing jobs now.

McDaniel is just a year + away from a horrible HCing experience, where by all accounts he did a bad job, made a lot of mistakes, and hopefully learned from them. He didn't make it even 2 full years. First I don't think there would be much of a hot market for him, so soon after that debacle. Media speculation, or a casual "what about McDaniels", is one thing. Going after someone is another. He'd be a very hard sell to any fan base after that year and half in Denver.

Secondly, I think he'd be happy to wait 4 or 5 years to succeed BB. Why not? By all accounts he and his family love the NE area. He's well paid, in a great environment, appreciated by the player, coaches and management, and by and large, well liked by the fans. Not a bad gig for the next several years. Plus when the final payoff comes, he get to be the HC of one of the best and most stable franchises in the league. A place where he;ll have the support and infrastructure to compete on a yearly basis, plus by that time his former teammate and best bud will be the GM.

Isn't that worth waiting a few more years, as opposed to rushing into the first HCing job to offer you a job and have to work for a Bill Bidwell, Woody Johnson or the like.

Great news. I think they shouldn't let teams interview coaches of playoffs teams during playoffs. Kinda bogus imo.

I caught a segment of that Felger and Mazz show. Here's my take. I agree with Felger that its fair to speculate that McDaniels came here with the understanding that he's the heir apparent. It just makes too much sense. What I totally disagreed with him though, was his insistent that if BB isn't retiring after the 2013 season (and I don't think he is), McDaniels is an idiot for not looking into HC'ing jobs now.

McDaniel is just a year + away from a horrible HCing experience, where by all accounts he did a bad job, made a lot of mistakes, and hopefully learned from them. He didn't make it even 2 full years. First I don't think there would be much of a hot market for him, so soon after that debacle. Media speculation, or a casual "what about McDaniels", is one thing. Going after someone is another. He'd be a very hard sell to any fan base after that year and half in Denver.

Secondly, I think he'd be happy to wait 4 or 5 years to succeed BB. Why not? By all accounts he and his family love the NE area. He's well paid, in a great environment, appreciated by the player, coaches and management, and by and large, well liked by the fans. Not a bad gig for the next several years. Plus when the final payoff comes, he get to be the HC of one of the best and most stable franchises in the league. A place where he;ll have the support and infrastructure to compete on a yearly basis, plus by that time his former teammate and best bud will be the GM.

Isn't that worth waiting a few more years, as opposed to rushing into the first HCing job to offer you a job and have to work for a Bill Bidwell, Woody Johnson or the like.

Agreed. Felger was being ridiculous. Who knows if McD was even going to get any calls? Maybe nobody but the sorry Bills, Cleveland and Arizona were going to call. None of them have a QB, and there is no great QB in the draft. If McD hasn't learned by now that you can't win without a QB, then he doesn't deserve to be a HC. I agreed with Felger that the best jobs out there are Chicago, Philadelphia and maybe San Diego. Felger went on an on about how Chicago would be a great job for McD, well, except for the Cutler issue. Hello? Chicago would never call McD, and if he had any brains, McD would never answer the phone, BECAUSE OF the Cutler problem - they hate eachother, no!? What a dummy. Philly doesn't have a QB either. The only place that has a QB that McDaniels maybe could work with is San Diego, but who knows if they would call? McDaniels needs to stay where he is and rebuild his reputation. Every year at least a few HC jobs come open, so he'll get a shot every year if he wants, especially with the Pats playing so well. Why not put a few stellar years in between you and your disaster years? If he goes into another disasterous situation and doesn't turn things around quickly, he'll be done as a HC in the NFL. Why would he do that?

I think the only thing that may have been promised to Josh is come back here, we'd love to have you back working with Brady, and if you're still here when BB decides to go (and he hasn't decided to go, so don't get your hopes up), you'll certainly be our first interview. Period.

Last edited:
plus by that time his former teammate and best bud will be the GM.

I still find it funny that JM was a receiver, and NC his QB in college. :)

Last edited:

I'd be interested to read all of those accounts that McDaniels did a bad job in Denver. He was on the way to building the team you see today. He was shafted not vice versa.

I'd be interested to read all of those accounts that McDaniels did a bad job in Denver. He was on the way to building the team you see today. He was shafted not vice versa.

Ah, but the perception is he failed there, getting rid of the great Jay Cutler and saddling them with the inept Tim Tebow. Only the great John Elway and his brilliant signing of the great Peyton Manning saved Denver! Didn't you know that?

And, it didn't help that he then went to St. Louis to help with the offense and Sam Bradford appeared to regress under his tutelege.

Last edited:
Don't forget Maroney and Chad Jackson. It was McDaniels who pushed them on BB and over-road the scouting staff and caused Daboll to walk.

Wasn't McDaniels also the guy pushing for Kevin O'Connell?

Great news. I think they shouldn't let teams interview coaches of playoffs teams during playoffs. Kinda bogus imo.

I don't know.

I have no problem with and think the NFL should highly encourage as many loser teams as possible to interview Den's OC/DC, SF's OC/DC, Houstons DC, and maybe some Seattle guys too. :D:D

Felger was making McDaniels' ascension after 2013 almost a fait accompli, in his opinion there's no other reason McDaniels would be so "stupid" as to not jump on the first HC opportunity to come along. Although he moderated his position a bit due to ridicule from callers, he was still remarkably myopic about it.

Couldn't DD have made McDaniels promise to stay at least 2 years when he hired him back?

Couldn't McDaniels have figured out that he needed more experience and some rehab to his rep in order to eventually get a good HC position, rather than a bottom-of-the-barrel 90%-likely-to-fail one?

Couldn't McDaniels have figured out that leaving his mentor's team for a HC position, then after failing going back to that mentor for a few years isn't a bad way to do it? That worked pretty well for Belichick.

Agreed. Felger was being ridiculous. Who knows if McD was even going to get any calls? Maybe nobody but the sorry Bills, Cleveland and Arizona were going to call. None of them have a QB, and there is no great QB in the draft. If McD hasn't learned by now that you can't win without a QB, then he doesn't deserve to be a HC. I agreed with Felger that the best jobs out there are Chicago, Philadelphia and maybe San Diego. Felger went on an on about how Chicago would be a great job for McD, well, except for the Cutler issue. Hello? Chicago would never call McD, and if he had any brains, McD would never answer the phone, BECAUSE OF the Cutler problem - they hate eachother, no!? What a dummy. Philly doesn't have a QB either. The only place that has a QB that McDaniels maybe could work with is San Diego, but who knows if they would call? McDaniels needs to stay where he is and rebuild his reputation. Every year at least a few HC jobs come open, so he'll get a shot every year if he wants, especially with the Pats playing so well. Why not put a few stellar years in between you and your disaster years? If he goes into another disasterous situation and doesn't turn things around quickly, he'll be done as a HC in the NFL. Why would he do that?

I think the only thing that may have been promised to Josh is come back here, we'd love to have you back working with Brady, and if you're still here when BB decides to go (and he hasn't decided to go, so don't get your hopes up), you'll certainly be our first interview. Period.

Agreed, though I would flip the Philly & SD situations. Foles might be something with which
a successful developer of QBs could work, whereas Rivers is an old dog, with poor mechanics
and a worse attitude.

Josh passing up a chance to coach in his native Ohio makes me wonder about BB.
I remember reading somewhere some time ago that BB was going to call it quits in 2013.

Yes, someone took a random stab at this a few years ago and it's been the only date ever mentioned since (because no one knows).

My stab is is closer to 2020. Feel free to quote me. ;)

Felger was making McDaniels' ascension after 2013 almost a fait accompli, in his opinion there's no other reason McDaniels would be so "stupid" as to not jump on the first HC opportunity to come along. Although he moderated his position a bit due to ridicule from callers, he was still remarkably myopic about it.

Couldn't DD have made McDaniels promise to stay at least 2 years when he hired him back?

Couldn't McDaniels have figured out that he needed more experience and some rehab to his rep in order to eventually get a good HC position, rather than a bottom-of-the-barrel 90%-likely-to-fail one?

Couldn't McDaniels have figured out that leaving his mentor's team for a HC position, then after failing going back to that mentor for a few years isn't a bad way to do it? That worked pretty well for Belichick.

couldn't he have also agreed to tell them he won't talk with anyone until after the Pats are out of the playoffs?

I agree the whole thing seemed like one speculation built on top of another with basically no actual information other than him telling Schefter he's not talking.

It also seems at odds with the M/O of BB and the Krafts to promise that job to someone a year or year(s) in advance and possibly preclude them from reassessing when the time comes. it's not like they would have had to make that promise in order to get McD back and even if they did unless he was going to be made another team's HC again next year he'd be available for it anyway if they wanted him.

I don't think it's just denial to feel that BB leaving after next year isn't likely.

Caserio/McDaniels combo? I'd take it. BB as a special advisor.

BB has to be gone. McDaniels makes a tough call and everyone looks to BB?

BB was going to have that crap with Parcells with the Jets and he "retired as HC of the NYJ" after like 10 minutes.

I don't know why anyone would want to interview him now, anyway. He's gotta win a SB
before he should be considered for another HC gig.

Um, we are talking Cleveland and Arizona. These are better than Oakland, but not by much.

Here's why:

1.) Many of his mistakes were the sort that a first time HC makes.

2.) Many of his other mistakes were the sort that a man trying to be someone else makes. He supposedly learned from that.

3.) He's been proven right (at least to an extent) about Tebow, Cutler and Marshall, and his 2nd draft was a darned good one.

4.) From what I've heard, those in the know realize that he got a raw deal and that the problems in Denver were by no means all on him.

5.) He's done some very impressive things with this offense this year, despite the claims of some of the resident OC wannabes.

I personally think he should wait another season or two, and that he should only move on if he can get a team that already has a QB, but I can see why he might be tempted.

I agree. McDaniels can wait. Unless Brady dies from an over-exposure to super-models the Patriots offense will be great next year too and he will be sought after. No reason to jump at the first train wreck (cough, Arizona, cough). Unless a great job opens up, why cash in and upset the guy he probably had a wink/nod agreement to not leave after 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back