PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Shefter : Atlanta Falcon's RB Michael Turner Being Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a beast, but those legs are beginning to show the signs of absorbing too much punishment. Had 222 carries for 880 yards (3.6 YPC). He'll only continue to slow down at age 31. Some team will pick him up and, depending on how deep they are at RB, may be able to extend his career and squeeze a couple of productive years out of him. But I don't see that team being the Pats.

He was a beast, but those legs are beginning to show the signs of absorbing too much punishment. Had 222 carries for 880 yards (3.6 YPC). He'll only continue to slow down at age 31. Some team will pick him up and, depending on how deep they are at RB, may be able to extend his career and squeeze a couple of productive years out of him. But I don't see that team being the Pats.

He would be valuable in a rotation scheme. He has a nose for end zone with 10 TDs in his last 2 years and still has break'away speed. I know our priority will be Welker/#1 WR with our running game sured up & (Woodhead)?

No thanks. Not only is RB not a priority for us (although that doesn't mean you pass a good player up at any position), but Turner has been run into the ground. Wayyyyy too much tread on those tires. Kinda reminds me of LJ. He was a beast then fell off the planet in 1 season.

No thanks. Not only is RB not a priority for us (although that doesn't mean you pass a good player up at any position), but Turner has been run into the ground. Wayyyyy too much tread on those tires. Kinda reminds me of LJ. He was a beast then fell off the planet in 1 season.

Usually a lot of tread on tires is a good thing. :rolleyes: I know what you meant though... :D

He would be valuable in a rotation scheme. He has a nose for end zone with 10 TDs in his last 2 years and still has break'away speed. I know our priority will be Welker/#1 WR with our running game sured up & (Woodhead)?

What about Ridley, Vereen and Boldin??? Vereen has shown he's got that breakaway speed as well. RB is the last position we need to worry about besides QB.

We rotate backs, so perfect for Turner. But only at a price he would most certainly not want.

Tell me when AP, Shady, Rice, Gore or Charles gets released. Then I'll be interested in "upgrading" the running back position. Turner brings nothing to the table that we don't already have on the roster except mileage.

What about Ridley, Vereen and Boldin??? Vereen has shown he's got that breakaway speed as well. RB is the last position we need to worry about besides QB.

Yup. The Pats have a pretty effective three-headed beast at RB (four if you include Woodhead). And they're young. No need for veteran help there.

Not directly related to Turner, necessarily, but...

The Patriots have a guy who failed a PED test as part of the RB group. We shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea of a replacement.

Chargers let the wrong guy go. It would have pissed off the fan base, but the right move.

way to many miles on him. No thanks. We have ridley, vereen and woodhead

Not directly related to Turner, necessarily, but...

The Patriots have a guy who failed a PED test as part of the RB group. We shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea of a replacement.

IIRC (reading between the lines), BB didn't seem too concerned at the time about what Boldin did to earn the suspension. I don't think it ever went public what he was ingesting, but I'm guessing it wasn't anything heavy duty.

The NEP's money is better suited for acquiring a WR or DB. I think the Pats are set at RB with Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead. I see them bringing in a Vet to battle for a roster spot with Bolden.

DaB I agree That's what I meant in my post about us being sured up with 4 RBS if Woodhead is here & RB not bein a priority. I was sayin Turner would be a positive in any rotation scheme on a team that can use him.

I bet he becomes the Jets short yardage back.

Yup. The Pats have a pretty effective three-headed beast at RB (four if you include Woodhead). And they're young. No need for veteran help there.

Don't forget we are getting Demps as well. I very much doubt the Pats are adding a RB unless he comes at a bargain investment price. I loved 'Turner the Burner' when he first came out in the 2004 draft. Unfortunately Pats didn't pick him. They took a guy named Cedric Cobbs in round 4 instead. Turner was selected in round 5. The rest is history.

Reminds me of some other draft misfires, such as Chad Jackson over Jennings and Brandon Tate over Mike Wallace.

Hate it when anyone brings up misfires....

How many other teams passed them over also??

20/20 hindsight is always perfect. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back