PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schefter on WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We have learned since the game ended last Sunday night that the Patriots team have a method to use the sun as a way of gaining an unfair competitive advantage during football games," said Alex Spanos during an early morning press conference. "We have not determined what that exact method is of yet, which is why we are turning the information we have over to the League Office. Our front office experts seem to think however that that the evidence points to one of two things: The Patriots are using some sort of mechanical device, possibly mirrors or other polished metal objects, to redirect the suns rays at our players eyes.

It's even more amazing when you consider that the game was played - at night. BB really is a genius.

R

I loved the quote from Schefter that the Pats truly believe that the Jets spend half their efforts to try to win the Super Bowl and the other half trying to screw with the Patriots.

I think the Jets' obvious obsession with the Patriots is their downfall. They have tried to recreate the magic that the Pats had with trying to make Mangini and Tannebaum into Belichick and Pioli. The problem is that they are shells of the the guys they are trying to immitate. I think Mangini did a good job last year, but his rookie season was way overrated. I think Herm Edwards could have gone 10-6 or 9-7 last year with a healthy Pennington all year. I even saw Mangini make some of the same clock management and two minute drill mistakes that Edwards is famous for.

Also, their personnel decisions have been questionable at best. D'Brickishaw Ferguson is quickly turning into a bust. He might have a chance to turn it around and become an average LT, but that isn't what you are looking for with a top 5 pick. They didn't even try to address their NT problem and are trying to make Robertson a NT eventhough he clearly isn't. They should have tried to unload Vilma because he is clearly not an ILB in the 3-4. Thomas Jones was only good in Chicago because of the Chicago line, he will be more like the Arizona Thomas Jones behind the Jets' line. Not paying Pete Kendall the $1 million that they supposably promised him will be a huge problem all year for the Jets. Trading pretty much all their draft for two players was stupid when they had so many holes on both lines.

The funny thing is that so far this year, they are getting everything they should expected from Mangini on defense. Our defense was never more timid, less opportunistic, and lacked a pass rush more than when Mangini was running it. Is it really surprising to see that the Jets' defense have no sacks or turnovers?

I agree with most of this, but the bolded line. If you say that about the Jets, you have to criticize NE as well. They both felt that prospects in this draft weren't up to par, but they took opposite steps. NE just passed on the the first day preferring to load up on UDFA's essentially. The Jets decided to grab two guys that they were very high on rather than bringing in a bunch of guys who were essentially UDFAs.

You can't say one is better than the other.

It's even more amazing when you consider that the game was played - at night. BB really is a genius.

R

Did you see this part of the article:

When contacted for their reaction, Bill Belichick offered this press release:

"In response to the Chargers accusations that the sun got in their eyes, the Patriot organization would like to point out that last Sunday nights game was, in fact, played at night. For the Chargers to accuse our organization of somehow manipulating the rotation of the Earth in order to magically reflect sunlight into their players eyes is not only ludicrous, it is insulting."

When this small point of contention was presented to the Chargers officials, they were quick to point out that while the sun may not have been out in Foxborough, it was out someplace in the world. "Thats what makes this so insidious."

I agree with most of this, but the bolded line. If you say that about the Jets, you have to criticize NE as well. They both felt that prospects in this draft weren't up to par, but they took opposite steps. NE just passed on the the first day preferring to load up on UDFA's essentially. The Jets decided to grab two guys that they were very high on rather than bringing in a bunch of guys who were essentially UDFAs.

You can't say one is better than the other.

I don't think you can compare the Pats and Jets. The Pats addressed their needs at LB and WR in free agency. The Jets didn't address their needs on either line pretty much anywhere. If the Jets were active in free agency, then I would agree with you and I wouldn't have included it.

I don't think you can compare the Pats and Jets. The Pats addressed their needs at LB and WR in free agency. The Jets didn't address their needs on either line pretty much anywhere. If the Jets were active in free agency, then I would agree with you and I wouldn't have included it.

They both thought that true top end players were at a premium. NE decided not to pay and the Jets did. FA only impacts in that NE covered enough of their gaps so they could pass. Being a much more talented team than the Jets prior to FA also helps.

But the motivation was the same and their is no reason to penalize the Jets for doing exactly what NE would have done had they felt they needed a couple top end talents.

I don't think it's fair to kill the jets on D'Brick - EVERYONE thought he'd be really good coming out, didn't they?

They both thought that true top end players were at a premium. NE decided not to pay and the Jets did. FA only impacts in that NE covered enough of their gaps so they could pass. Being a much more talented team than the Jets prior to FA also helps.

But the motivation was the same and their is no reason to penalize the Jets for doing exactly what NE would have done had they felt they needed a couple top end talents.

I have never seen the Pats put all their draft picks into two players like that. The Pats rarely gamble like that. They may trade out of a bad draft, but they still did draft a boat load of players and got two impact veterans for two of their other picks (Welker and Moss). I don't think the Pats would have ever did what the Jets did.

I heard him.

I'm trying to think of what else we could possibly do to "cheat". Florio never revealed his "bombshell".

At some point, I feel like it's not cheating if you don't get caught - b/c I'm at the point where I'm running out of ideas of what an NFL team could do that is truly "cheating". Most things, I just consider gamesmanship, and if you got away with it, good for you.

I don't think it's fair to kill the jets on D'Brick - EVERYONE thought he'd be really good coming out, didn't they?

I think they need to be killed for falling into the trap of drafting a tackle in the top 10. A top 10 tackle hasn't been an impact player since Orlando Pace and Walter Jones have been drafted (well maybe Chris Samuels). It isn't a position that nets results anymore so high and is probably even riskier than taking a QB that high. Everyone were just as high on Robert Gallery and Mike Williams when they came out in the draft and both are huge busts.

I have never seen the Pats put all their draft picks into two players like that. The Pats rarely gamble like that. They may trade out of a bad draft, but they still did draft a boat load of players and got two impact veterans for two of their other picks (Welker and Moss). I don't think the Pats would have ever did what the Jets did.

They have made trades similar to the Jets, but not two in one year.

The made a move to Trade up for Warren and then traded a 2nd and 3rd to get Chad Jackson. Personally unless a team is 100% rock solid sold on a player I would avoid any 2 for 1 trades. CJ is a good example, the Patriots could have drafted two players like (Maurice Jones-Drew, Greg Jennings, Ashton Youboty, Derek Hagan, etc.). The point is not to second guess or slam Jackson* but to highlight that adding 2 C+/B- players is better than adding a single A/A- player, especially if the player doesn't produce. Call it risk management.

*Write it down, I am starting a pure internet rumor, not based on any facts or first hand knowledge. Chad Jackson comes in week 8 and takes Stallworth's spot on the roster.

I heard him.

I'm trying to think of what else we could possibly do to "cheat". Florio never revealed his "bombshell".

At some point, I feel like it's not cheating if you don't get caught - b/c I'm at the point where I'm running out of ideas of what an NFL team could do that is truly "cheating". Most things, I just consider gamesmanship, and if you got away with it, good for you.

I think Tom Curran actually reveiled the "bombshell" for Florio. Curran says the rumor is that the Pats had someone sneak into the final walkthrough of the Rams. According to both Curran and Michael Felger, those final walkthroughs are nothing since they do the team photos and family and friends are allowed to watch. Snoop Dog actually attended one of our final walkthroughs before one of the Super Bowls. Curran added that security was so tight during that Super Bowl because it was the first one before 9/11 that the Pats would have probably risked getting shot sneaking in because practices were guarded by soldiers with rifles.

I think they need to be killed for falling into the trap of drafting a tackle in the top 10. A top 10 tackle hasn't been an impact player since Orlando Pace and Walter Jones have been drafted (well maybe Chris Samuels). It isn't a position that nets results anymore so high and is probably even riskier than taking a QB that high. Everyone were just as high on Robert Gallery and Mike Williams when they came out in the draft and both are huge busts.

Drafting a tackle is an ok move if you are really sold on the player (we are all kicking ourselves for letting Marcus McNeil drop into round 2) but the thing with Ferguson is that he is undersized. I really expected him to have more bulk going into his 2nd year but he still seems thin by NFL LT standards.

They have made trades similar to the Jets, but not two in one year.

The made a move to Trade up for Warren and then traded a 2nd and 3rd to get Chad Jackson. Personally unless a team is 100% rock solid sold on a player I would avoid any 2 for 1 trades. CJ is a good example, the Patriots could have drafted two players like (Maurice Jones-Drew, Greg Jennings, Ashton Youboty, Derek Hagan, etc.). The point is not to second guess or slam Jackson* but to highlight that adding 2 C+/B- players is better than adding a single A/A- player, especially if the player doesn't produce. Call it risk management.

*Write it down, I am starting a pure internet rumor, not based on any facts or first hand knowledge. Chad Jackson comes in week 8 and takes Stallworth's spot on the roster.

The thing is the Pats are constantly trying to load up on extra draft picks so they have the luxary to package picks to get a certain player. Even with trading up to get Jackson, the Pats drafted 10 players last year. Same in the year they traded up to get Warren. The Jets drafted four players and two of them were in the sixth round or later.

The fewest draft picks that the Pats ever used was in the 2002 draft. They drafted six players, but four of them were in the first four rounds.

P.S. I don't think Jackson will replace Stallworth. I think Stallworth will be starting to make a far bigger contribution by the time Jackson gets off PUP since he will have grasped the offense by then.

Last edited:

No. Not at all. I was among many who killed the guy after watching him play in college. I thought it was a very bad pick.

I loved the quote from Schefter that the Pats truly believe that the Jets spend half their efforts to try to win the Super Bowl and the other half trying to screw with the Patriots.

I think the Jets' obvious obsession with the Patriots is their downfall. They have tried to recreate the magic that the Pats had with trying to make Mangini and Tannebaum into Belichick and Pioli. The problem is that they are shells of the the guys they are trying to immitate. I think Mangini did a good job last year, but his rookie season was way overrated. I think Herm Edwards could have gone 10-6 or 9-7 last year with a healthy Pennington all year. I even saw Mangini make some of the same clock management and two minute drill mistakes that Edwards is famous for.

Also, their personnel decisions have been questionable at best. D'Brickishaw Ferguson is quickly turning into a bust. He might have a chance to turn it around and become an average LT, but that isn't what you are looking for with a top 5 pick. They didn't even try to address their NT problem and are trying to make Robertson a NT eventhough he clearly isn't. They should have tried to unload Vilma because he is clearly not an ILB in the 3-4. Thomas Jones was only good in Chicago because of the Chicago line, he will be more like the Arizona Thomas Jones behind the Jets' line. Not paying Pete Kendall the $1 million that they supposably promised him will be a huge problem all year for the Jets. Trading pretty much all their draft for two players was stupid when they had so many holes on both lines.

The funny thing is that so far this year, they are getting everything they should expected from Mangini on defense. Our defense was never more timid, less opportunistic, and lacked a pass rush more than when Mangini was running it. Is it really surprising to see that the Jets' defense have no sacks or turnovers?

Great stuff. I really thought that the Kendal thing would be a problem. He really seemed to be the glue there. I very much hope that your analysis holds true for the duration.

One thing that I remember the Pats players saying that was off the record was that they did not think that Mangini was ready yet to be a head coach, and that he was, as you have stated, rather timid in his style that made many of the players feel confused.

Interesting. Hey, what have you thought of Kyle Brady so far? I ask because it seems as if a good tackle, and a really good blocking TE has been wonderful for us so far. It seems like a much better way of solving the problem of such rushers as Freeny and the like. I know that this is nothing new, but it is a different way to attack the problem than using a top ten pick for some behemoth who can't really play the position very well. We as fans are always so enamored by these gigantic people, that we immediatly assume that they will pancake everyone. It simply isn't true. There is so much more to it isn't there? I am really impressed with how our line is playing and I think that Kyle is a great addition.

I think Tom Curran actually reveiled the "bombshell" for Florio. Curran says the rumor is that the Pats had someone sneak into the final walkthrough of the Rams. According to both Curran and Michael Felger, those final walkthroughs are nothing since they do the team photos and family and friends are allowed to watch. Snoop Dog actually attended one of our final walkthroughs before one of the Super Bowls. Curran added that security was so tight during that Super Bowl because it was the first one before 9/11 that the Pats would have probably risked getting shot sneaking in because practices were guarded by soldiers with rifles.

Can I get a witness that Florio actually is Eddy Munster?

You are really reaching on this one. I agree that LT's aren't the sure thing that many seem to believe, but we could point out just as many busts in any other position.

Look, we all hate the Jets now. But it's OK to admit that not every single move was a mistake. It really is.

what goodell shoul of done is to hold out on the punishment if it wasnt going to be final, instead he rushes with the peanalty before all the facts are in and evidence looked at, it would make him and the league look stupid to hand more punishment down, it would be like a judge sentencing someone but saying ill setence you worse if i find more evidence against you it doesnt happen in the judicial system that way and it wont happen here
Disaagree. It would have been horrible if he hadn't ruled before the CHargers game. Handing out punishment allowed the Patriots to say, "It's over, it's done with, let's move on."

Yeah, if anything else is found, there will be new punishments, but that is simply business as usual. Any time he finds evidence of something he will act.

He has made his ruling on video-taping. It is final. There will not be another first round pick for past videotaping. here will be more fines for micing defensive lineman because his punishment did not cover that. For us, or anyone else.

Last edited:

LOL at Florio. Great bombshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye