Adam Schefter on WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some highlights of his spot:

• Players and coaches around the league feel jobs were lost because of the Pats' cheating
  • He believes Belichick will be suspended, Peter King does not (he and King talked about it last night)
  • One of his league sources says that at least 10 teams videotape signals like the Pats, just not as brazen at it.
  • Houston claimed that they found someone videotaping last year, but he disapeared before security arrived
  • He doesn't think a suspension of Belichick would really be much of a punishment since Belichick would still be involved in the gameplan
  • Belichick's attitude over the years is coming back to haunt him because everyone is turning on him
  • John Dennis said that Belichick's arguement said that Belichick's defense was that the rule says "you can't use videotape for use during the game". Belichick contends that he was going to use the videotape to compile information for the end of the year.
  • Robert Kraft may actually have some input on Goodell's decision

• Players and coaches around the league feel jobs were lost because of the Pats' cheating
  • He believes Belichick will be suspended, Peter King does not (he and King talked about it last night)
  • One of his league sources says that at least 10 teams videotape signals like the Pats, just not as brazen at it.
  • Houston claimed that they found someone videotaping last year, but he disapeared before security arrived
  • He doesn't think a suspension of Belichick would really be much of a punishment since Belichick would still be involved in the gameplan
  • Belichick's attitude over the years is coming back to haunt him because everyone is turning on him
  • John Dennis said that Belichick's arguement said that Belichick's defense was that the rule says "you can't use videotape for use during the game". Belichick contends that he was going to use the videotape to compile information for the end of the year.

We're doomed

Thanks for that. Sounds like things aren't getting worse. My only fear right now is some smoking gun on some other skeletens - that all teams certainly have but everyone's coming out about us now. As long as what you quote Shefter on is all they're dealing with, we'll get hit but be OK.

I'm disappointed in Shefter.

If you're going to reach conclusions like this one: Belichick's attitude over the years is coming back to haunt him because everyone is turning on him

Then shouldn't you be honest enough to also conclude: Everyone is jealous of Belichick because he has coached circles around them and dominated the league for so long.

Come on Adam, you're better than this. If you're going o draw personal conclusions, then at least be honest.

You think? The guy is only driving globalization of the league. China Bowl ring a bell? Don't forget that Kraft was screwed out of that game by the league because the NFL wasn't prepared. Think Kraft will remind him of this?

Belichick's attitude over the years is coming back to haunt him because everyone is turning on him

He is an easy target though. Dungy would be untouchable since he is perceived as "nice" - tell me one football coach in the history of football that is fully "nice".

He is an easy target though. Dungy would be untouchable since he is perceived as "nice" - tell me one football coach in the history of football that is fully "nice".

Uncle Pete. Pete Caroll

In Adam's defense;

John asked this question...Do you think BB is prosecuted in the court of public opinion because of his prickly behavior to media, and because of his success?...to which Adam answered as above.

In Adam's defense;

John asked this question...Do you think BB is prosecuted in the court of public opinion because of his prickly behavior to media, and because of his success?...to which Adam answered as above.

Yeah, BB is kinda like the "creepy" guy suspected of killing somebody on a legal TV show, and suspicion is on him like white on rice. But at the end it turns out to be the well-adjusted guy that the cops catch on to later in the show.

I think the most interesting comment was that at least one person told him that the tape was most definitely not to be used during the game at hand. Instead, this person said that the Pats compile a book, or as he called it DNA, on every defensive coach in the league including what signals they use. This makes a lot more sense than what most have been reporting as it always seemed hard to believe that somehow the Pats would have time to break down the tape at halftime and decipher the signals. It also explains why they would film Green Bay and Detroit as it was the coaches they were studying not the teams. In my view, this fits more with what we know about BB and his legendary attention to detail. I think if we were to find out who the 10-12 teams who do this were we would find that they are amongst the most successful franchises in the league. Not because they are cheaters but because they are probably more prepared and detailed oriented than their peers. I also think that if aspect was reported this whole incident would be looked at in a much different light. Sadly, I doubt that this will happen.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed in Shefter.

If you're going to reach conclusions like this one: Belichick's attitude over the years is coming back to haunt him because everyone is turning on him

Then shouldn't you be honest enough to also conclude: Everyone is jealous of Belichick because he has coached circles around them and dominated the league for so long.

Come on Adam, you're better than this. If you're going o draw personal conclusions, then at least be honest.

I think it goes both ways. I think there is some jealousy towards Belichick, but Belichick hasn't made a lot of friends in this league. His focus on winning over all else has alienated a lot of people in this league.

I think that is clearly why people are acting like this is the worst offense that has ever happened in this sport. I think this is why Mangini has skated on being a Judas to his former mentor. Do you think if Herm Edwards did this to Tony Dungy that people wouldn't be blasting Edwards for turning on his former mentor?

Many people who like Belichick or have no vested interest have been saying this is no big deal or that it isn't uncommon in the NFL. Many of the people making a big deal about this have a grudge towards Belichick and the Pats.

BTW, this comment

John Dennis said that Belichick's arguement said that Belichick's defense was that the rule says "you can't use videotape for use during the game". Belichick contends that he was going to use the videotape to compile information for the end of the year.

was just complete speculation by Dale yesterday afternoon. I find it humorous that it seems to have spun away into people now saying that is BB's defense. No one but NE officials and Goodell know what BB's defense is.

Dennis is a complete moron.

Yeah, BB is kinda like the "creepy" guy suspected of killing somebody on a legal TV show, and suspicion is on him like white on rice. But at the end it turns out to be the well-adjusted guy that the cops catch on to later in the show.

Well, he's not that creepy. According to the people who know him well, and at the Pro Bowl last year, he let his guard down and had a good time. Apparently, he likes the cloak and dagger stuff during the season because it allows him to coach better and win games.

Another thing. Everyone admits that stealing signs is universally done. Many admit that NE is not alone in the videotaping thing.

So, if NE is not alone in videotaping, and the use for the taping - stealing signs - is done by everyone, how again did anyone lose jobs because of NE cheating?

There is no logic there, just complete spite.

Look, I think that NE did something beyond the scope of "gamesmanship" and should be punished, but let's be realistic here. No one lost there jobs because of NE's videotaping.

Well, he's not that creepy. According to the people who know him well, and at the Pro Bowl last year, he let his guard down and had a good time. Apparently, he likes the cloak and dagger stuff during the season because it allows him to coach better and win games.

Every person is different character and so is he. I would take our grumpy,media despising coach over any of the media and sound bite friendly coaches who say more to cover their own incompetencies. In the current crop of coaches i think i would compare only shanahan to BB somewhat.

I think it goes both ways. I think there is some jealousy towards Belichick, but Belichick hasn't made a lot of friends in this league. His focus on winning over all else has alienated a lot of people in this league.

I disagree. BB has alot of friends in the league. There are many people in the league and in the college ranks who speak very highly of him. He hasn't done is made alot of friends in THE MEDIA and that's what's causing this firestorm now.

BTW, this comment

was just complete speculation by Dale yesterday afternoon. I find it humorous that it seems to have spun away into people now saying that is BB's defense. No one but NE officials and Goodell know what BB's defense is.

Dennis is a complete moron.

Dennis did say this morning that he got his information from someone in the league office.

I disagree. BB has alot of friends in the league. There are many people in the league and in the college ranks who speak very highly of him. He hasn't done is made alot of friends in THE MEDIA and that's what's causing this firestorm now.

Belichick has a lot of enemies in the NFL. Don't kid yourself. He may have friends too, but there are plenty of people in this league who would be very happy him go down in flames.

Well, he's not that creepy. According to the people who know him well, and at the Pro Bowl last year, he let his guard down and had a good time.

The problem is the general public doesn't 'know' him, or at least they know what they see on TV. Public image is EVERYTHING. See Tony Dungy, Peyton Manning, etc. They come off as angels and Brady and Belichick come off as villains. Maybe that's what the NFL is driving at.

It's all about technicalities. If that's how it's written then we have NOTHING to answer for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots