PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schefter on D&C: Pats dominance no guarantee of postseason success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Schefter on D&C..... He's Never Impressed I Guess...

I'm not impressed with the general cheerleader-like sensitivity of some posters. Schefter is 100% correct in what he says. Even in Vegas simulations, the Pats are the heavy favorite, but they fail to win the Super Bowl in 60% of simulations. Anything can happen in the playoffs... if the nightmares of their last three trips has not taught you anything, then you are being a homer. Also, the Pats will not hang 40 points on teams forever. They can hope that they'll be a CONSISTENTLY effective offense, but I highly doubt they will dominate like they have. The bigger story is the improved play of the defense.

True..... Lol :p

I really didnt mean for it to blow out of proportion guys, my fault.

But the argument he's making isn't about something as benign as regular season versus post season success.

He is eluding to the fact that ....the Patriots aren't worthy of the praise and success they've had.

He's saying in essence that their 11-2 record is primarily luck.

He comes right out and says "The Patriots are not that good. The Patriots are not Dominant".

Patriots will definitely be in close games, maybe this week. The important thing is to win, not to dominate teams. Even in the 16-0 year, the Patriots had very tight games down the stretch.

Meh, we were never "dominant" in the years we won it all, according to everyone else. The year everyone agreed we WERE dominant was 2007 and that didn't turn out so well.

I think the thing that makes me particularly optimistic about this year is that the Pats have played their best games against their toughest opponents. Some years we seemed to beat up on the dregs and struggled with upper tier teams - this year it's the other way around.

Hopefully that translates to a successful playoff season, but as has been noted in this thread, -anything- can happen in the playoffs.

I agreed with what Shcefter said, because when it got into the playoffs, all teams start with 0-0 and winning those game are the only thing matter and will give your team a chance going to the Superbowl.

The Patriots can be domininance and win big, but if they lose in the playoffs... Nothing really accomplished like Brady had said...

How can you possibly disagree though, if you are being honest.

If there is anything I have learned watching the Pats, it's "you're never as good as you look when you win, and never as bad as you look when you lose."

And 2007 proved that a down game can come in the postseason.

I'm really intrigued on who that coach is. The usual suspects? You would think the coach is in the AFC, due to knowing more about teams within its division. Plus, it sounded just a little on the bitter side. Hard to guage, context and all. My guess, is it's someone we've beaten.

I'm really intrigued on who that coach is. The usual suspects? You would think the coach is in the AFC, due to knowing more about teams within its division. Plus, it sounded just a little on the bitter side. Hard to guage, context and all. My guess, is it's someone we've beaten.

I'm no so sure about it being someone we've beating. It sounds like something Mangini would say.

Chicago also thought the Pats weren't that good either. We shall see.

Exactly. I'm all for EVERY team thinking the Pats aren't that good before they play the game. They'll figure it out afterwards, just like Urlacher.

The praise being flung around these days so when the opposing coach says that they aren't that good, then I think he is probably accurate. I think the team has looked absolutely otherworldly the past few weeks but they aren't going to march like this through the rest of the season and playoffs. They will be tested and games will be closer. The fact that they have flaws isn't something newsbreaking and the Patriots would be the first ones to tell you that they have plenty to work on.

Chicago also thought the Pats weren't that good either. We shall see.

That's not what I read in the Chicago Tribune.
Urlacher called the Pats a great team and Tom Brady was the best in the league. There were a few players from the Bears that were actually quite complimentary to the Pats.
I thought the Bears took the loss to the Pats with as much class as losing could allow.

To the topic of the thread, Schefter's right about being real good in the regular season only to take early exits from the playoff. It's not like he doesn't have history on his side.
Having said that, I still have a good feeling for this team come playoff time.
A feeling I really didn't have last year.

Last edited:

the offense output always gets noticed in the media. Thats why the 2003-04 teams never were termed 'dominating'. what the mediots fail to see is that defense has actually really stepped up in these last few games causing them to be blowouts. brady has been good but he hasnt had to match pt to pt with anyone because the D has stepped it up and they are playing complimentary football.
Nothing to disagree with schefter, anything can happen in the playoffs. no one expected balitmore to come into foxboro and beat the pats last yr.

The praise being flung around these days so when the opposing coach says that they aren't that good, then I think he is probably accurate. I think the team has looked absolutely otherworldly the past few weeks but they aren't going to march like this through the rest of the season and playoffs. They will be tested and games will be closer. The fact that they have flaws isn't something newsbreaking and the Patriots would be the first ones to tell you that they have plenty to work on.

I recall during the Super Bowl years people saying the same things: "They aren't that good" and "I'd be surprised if they go all the way." But the thing is, this team isn't built on paper or stats, and I think that's where many of the "informed evaluators" get sidetracked. It might be said that the Patriots lead the league in intangibles -- great chemistry between role players, smarts, discipline, limiting mistakes, everyone unselfishly buying into the system, and expert situational coaching. More than perhaps any other team in the league, the Patriots take a true whole-team approach. And that's where they get an edge on supposedly more talented/superior opponents.

Schefter is a rational analyst stating his considered opinion. Nobody is infallible. Patsfans with rabbit eared drama queen sensitivity to the slightest criticism should avoid the media completely.

Fact is there is not a team on our schedule that given a bad day or few mistakes by Brady et. al. can't beat us. That's all he's saying, and I wholeheartedly agree. They're all elite NFL players with fantastic athletic ability. Dominant is a BS concept and I agree with those saying that the 2007 'dominance' didn't get us diddly.

Last edited:

" But the thing is, this team isn't built on paper or stats, and I think that's where many of the "informed evaluators" get sidetracked.

This is very very true. good post. I can't agree more. We don't look as good on paper and stats but we win. Thats why I hated when Jamie Dukes went down the line before the Jets game. He was like they are better in the secondary, LBs, RBs, etc, etc....

look what happened

Schefter is a rational analyst stating his considered opinion. Nobody is infallible. Patsfans with rabbit eared drama queen sensitivity to the slightest criticism should avoid the media completely.

Fact is there is not a team on our schedule that given a bad day or few mistakes by Brady et. al. can't beat us. That's all he's saying, and I wholeheartedly agree. They're all elite NFL players with fantastic athletic ability. Dominant is a BS concept and I agree with those saying that the 2007 'dominance' didn't get us diddly.

Issue isn't that Sheftner is criticizing the Pats its that he is criticizing the Pats like its the Pats themselves that they are saying they are unbeatable/dominant etc. Its his fellow media cohorts that are pumping them up and making all the claims, the Pats themselves are saying the following:

"We haven't accomplished anything"
"We left a lot of plays out there and have room for improvement"

etc etc etc......

I don't take issue with what Sheftner is saying because the Pats themselves from HC down to the waterboy have been saying the same thing. I take issue that he states it like the Pats are saying it and then quotes another HC that states "Well they aren't as good as everyone is saying". Well no sh*t sherlock even the Pats have been stating that.

That's not what I read in the Chicago Tribune.
Urlacher called the Pats a great team and Tom Brady was the best in the league. There were a few players from the Bears that were actually quite complimentary to the Pats.
I thought the Bears took the loss to the Pats with as much class as losing could allow.

To the topic of the thread, Schefter's right about being real good in the regular season only to take early exits from the playoff. It's not like he doesn't have history on his side.
Having said that, I still have a good feeling for this team come playoff time.
A feeling I really didn't have last year.

I'm not bashing the Bears. They are a good team and I respect them. Urlacher said the Pats were a good team, but that the Bears were better. Look at his post-game presser, he certainly changed his tune.

Last edited:

But the argument he's making isn't about something as benign as regular season versus post season success.

He is eluding to the fact that ....the Patriots aren't worthy of the praise and success they've had.

He's saying in essence that their 11-2 record is primarily luck.

No, Adam Schefter is just attempting to bring balance. I agree completely with him. The Patriots flaws have not been exposed recently. The defense we've seen the past few weeks that has given up 3 and 7 points is really a defense that is more likely to give up 13 or 17 next week.

In other words, the Patriots have played great and other factors have aligned well recently. Expect the Patriots to continue winning, but not necessarily dominating games. Expect the defense to give up more points. Expect teams to have a little more success running and throwing the ball than they have. It will very likely be a victory - and perhaps a comfortable victory. But don't expect continued dominance every week because that's not very likely.

We're all aware of this but it's easy to be caught up in the moment because that's what people are. The Patriots weren't really the 32nd best defense in the NFL 2 weeks today as the official stats suggested - and it is arguable whether or not they have climbed into the top 10 defense in terms of ongoing expectations. It's unrealistic for this defense to hold any team to single digits and we've just seen it 2 weeks in a row. Things have worked out really well recently and, at some point, the tide will turn. When it does turn, the Patriots will probably still win - it just won't be a dominating win and it may even be a loss. Every team in the NFL can win on "any given Sunday". That's just the way it is.

Its not like this is anything new for the Patriots...they've gone on tears like this before...and they usually end up in the SB when it all comes together like this.

If we stay healthy, the Patriots will be playing a yet-to-be-determined team from the NFC that should "technically" beat them...but somehow, won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back